Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Any simple tests to see if ignition switch is bad?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brcacti
Hello, any simple tests to see if ignition switch is bad? I have a multimeter, am slowly learning how to use it
914Sixer
Hard to test broken plastic key way, short of pulling it out of column.
jcd914
Look over a wiring diagram and then test for power out of the switch at the different key positions.
The plastic housing cracks but the normal symptom of this failure is the starter circuit does not get power when the key is turned to the start(crank) position.

Jim
jim_hoyland
I can sorta test the switch; a hot start relay is installed , the hot start relay is also wired to a switch in the engine bay. With key “on”, the engine bay switch will start the motor. That helps narrow down the possibilities
914_teener
QUOTE(brcacti @ Nov 8 2019, 11:16 AM) *

Hello, any simple tests to see if ignition switch is bad? I have a multimeter, am slowly learning how to use it

Visual inspection.

Arcing across the contacts

Wear and wallowing of the plastic

Cracks in the plastic body....at this point it is a goner.

It's simple to remove and look at.
brcacti
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Nov 8 2019, 02:26 PM) *

I can sorta test the switch; a hot start relay is installed , the hot start relay is also wired to a switch in the engine bay. With key “on”, the engine bay switch will start the motor. That helps narrow down the possibilities

I do have a hot start relay installed. Could I turn the key and check for juice on the relay?
Would that be an accurate way to test for it?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
what is the car doing?

QUOTE(brcacti @ Nov 8 2019, 12:16 PM) *

brcacti
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Nov 8 2019, 03:13 PM) *

what is the car doing?

QUOTE(brcacti @ Nov 8 2019, 12:16 PM) *

Intermittent cranking, I ordered a new ignition switch from your company, I wanted to have it if needed or not right now.
914sgofast2
I just replaced my ignition switch that was randomly failing for over a year and making me crazy. It was making a bad connection internally, and sometimes the fuel pump would shut off, making the car act as if it weere running out of gas. Other times the hot wire going to the points/coil would go dead and kill the motor. If I jiggled the ignition key in the switch, it would re-start.
brcacti
QUOTE(914sgofast2 @ Nov 8 2019, 06:40 PM) *

I just replaced my ignition switch that was randomly failing for over a year and making me crazy. It was making a bad connection internally, and sometimes the fuel pump would shut off, making the car act as if it weere running out of gas. Other times the hot wire going to the points/coil would go dead and kill the motor. If I jiggled the ignition key in the switch, it would re-start.

How hard was it to replace ignition switch?, you're talking about the white plastic end part right? I have sanded MANY hot and ground connections on the car.
Mikey914
It’s not fun.
ClayPerrine
Directions.

1. Disconnect the battery.

2. Remove the steering wheel.

3. Get under the dash and disconnect the wiring to both the ignition switch and the turn signal/wiper plugs.

4. Remove the 4 screws in the turn signal/wiper switch assembly and gently pull the whole assembly to you.

5. Remove the two big flat head screws in the column holding in the ignition switch.

6. Insert the key into the ignition switch and turn until it is in the run position.

7. Pull gently on the key and the ignition switch assembly should come out. DON"T FORCE IT.

8. Once the switch assembly is out, you will find a small, recessed flat head screw on the side. Remove the screw, then you can pull out the electrical portion of the ignition switch assembly.

Reassembly is the reverse of disassembly. (I always wanted to say that!!!)

brcacti
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Nov 9 2019, 06:16 AM) *

Directions.

3. Get under the dash and disconnect the wiring to both the ignition switch and the turn signal/wiper plugs.

4. Remove the 4 screws in the turn signal/wiper switch assembly and gently pull the whole assembly to you.

5. Remove the two big flat head screws in the column holding in the ignition switch.

6. Insert the key into the ignition switch and turn until it is in the run position.

7. Pull gently on the key and the ignition switch assembly should come out. DON"T FORCE IT.
Thanks Clay, is it hard to LOCATE the ignition and wiper/turn signal wires when doing the new ignition switch?
8. Once the switch assembly is out, you will find a small, recessed flat head screw on the side. Remove the screw, then you can pull out the electrical portion of the ignition switch assembly.

brcacti

Directions.

Thanks Clay is it hard to locate the wiper/ direction, ignition switch wires to unplug when changing out the ignition switch, repost, as I put the question into the quote on my last post
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(brcacti @ Nov 21 2019, 07:45 PM) *

Directions.

Thanks Clay is it hard to locate the wiper/ direction, ignition switch wires to unplug when changing out the ignition switch, repost, as I put the question into the quote on my last post

Not really. If you look up through the bolt holes for the steering column on the bottom of the knee pad, you will see the plugs. You should be able to pull them off from behind the knee pad easily. Getting them aligned going back together is usually the hard part. If you can't quite get it, then remove the knee pad to provide more access to the plugs.

If you have A/C, all bets are off on this. Betty's car has A/C, and I have to reinstall the plugs with a pair of needle nose pliers up through the steering column bolt holes. It is a royal PITA to do, but I would rather do that then drop the A/C unit. The plastic on it is approaching 50 years old, and getting really brittle.

Make sure you do this before you put the steering wheel back on. That gets you some extra clearance to get upside down under the dash.

Also, if you are a big guy, you may need to remove the driver's seat for more room.

Good Luck!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.