Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Trying to start my carbureted 1.7, Electrical help
pastormacman
post Dec 14 2019, 01:35 PM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,382

With the key OFF, there is no power to the fuses for the low beams and high beams. When I turn the key ON, I get power to the low beam and hight beam fuses.

Not very many lights actually come on, but I think that's probably old bulbs.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Dec 14 2019, 06:39 PM
Post #42

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031
Region Association: None

QUOTE(pastormacman @ Dec 14 2019, 02:35 PM) *

With the key OFF, there is no power to the fuses for the low beams and high beams. When I turn the key ON, I get power to the low beam and hight beam fuses.

Not very many lights actually come on, but I think that's probably old bulbs.

The high/low beams do not go through the ignition switch and will turn on/off independently of the ignition switch. Check for brake lights and L and R turnsignals with key ON. Don't do 4-way flashers as they bypass the ignition switch.
+Quote Post
pastormacman
post Dec 15 2019, 09:01 PM
Post #43

OK, so here's my update for today.

I can't get brake lights or signal lights to come on with the key on or off.

However, I did notice that I get hot on both sides of fuse #8 when the key is ON but nothing when the key is OFF. So the ignition switch is doing SOMETHING. But I never get hot to fuse #9 no matter what, key on or off.

Also, side question. I'm trying to understand the wiring diagrams better but I have a question. Most wires show where they are coming and going. But some wires seem to just end at a number and I don't know what that number means. I included a pic of a blow up of the wiring diagram and highlighted a few of the numbers that I'm talking about. What do those numbers mean and where are those wires going?Attached Image
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Dec 16 2019, 08:43 AM
Post #44

Jerry

Those numbers go to somewhere else on the schematic. There will be a mating number somewhere else.
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Dec 16 2019, 08:56 AM
Post #45

Jerry

Fuse 8 is powered by pin X on the ignition switch (D). Fuse 9 and relay board/ignition coil are powered by pin 15 on the ignition switch.

Notice pin 50 on the ignition switch which goes to the starter.

Therefore the starter, ignition coil (fuse 9), and fuse 8 are all controlled separately by the ignition switch.

Pin P (going to electrical column 30) on the ignition switch powers the Euro function for the turnsignals when the vehicle is off.

The issue is still pointing at the ignition switch. The only test left is to find the wires coming from ignition switch in the steering column and find and measure the voltage on the wire from pin 15 to isolate the ignition switch.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Tom
post Dec 16 2019, 10:20 AM
Post #46

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,626

Pastormacman,
It looks like you are using the electrical wiring diagrams from the Haynes manual. They are somewhat harder to read/use that some color larger ones.
Here are the ones I used when I had mine. Depending on your year of 914, there may be some changes. With a little work, you can figure these out and make corrections on the larger prints. I made a copy from my computer and put it on a disc and took that to Staples and had 11" x 17" color copies made. So much easier to follow the lines. The number you see correspond to the numbers at the bottom of the print. Hope these come thru OK. I may have to use two posts to get them all posted.
Tom

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Tom
post Dec 16 2019, 10:21 AM
Post #47

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,626

More

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
pastormacman
post Dec 16 2019, 06:07 PM
Post #48

QUOTE(Tom @ Dec 16 2019, 08:20 AM) *

Pastormacman,
It looks like you are using the electrical wiring diagrams from the Haynes manual. They are somewhat harder to read/use that some color larger ones.
Here are the ones I used when I had mine. Depending on your year of 914, there may be some changes. With a little work, you can figure these out and make corrections on the larger prints. I made a copy from my computer and put it on a disc and took that to Staples and had 11" x 17" color copies made. So much easier to follow the lines. The number you see correspond to the numbers at the bottom of the print. Hope these come thru OK. I may have to use two posts to get them all posted.
Tom

Thank you very much. I think that is going to be very helpful.
+Quote Post
pastormacman
post Dec 16 2019, 06:50 PM
Post #49

QUOTE(Spoke @ Dec 16 2019, 06:56 AM) *

Fuse 8 is powered by pin X on the ignition switch (D). Fuse 9 and relay board/ignition coil are powered by pin 15 on the ignition switch.

Notice pin 50 on the ignition switch which goes to the starter.

Therefore the starter, ignition coil (fuse 9), and fuse 8 are all controlled separately by the ignition switch.

Pin P (going to electrical column 30) on the ignition switch powers the Euro function for the turnsignals when the vehicle is off.

The issue is still pointing at the ignition switch. The only test left is to find the wires coming from ignition switch in the steering column and find and measure the voltage on the wire from pin 15 to isolate the ignition switch.

Thanks for the info. I'll get to checking the wiring in the steering column.
+Quote Post
pastormacman
post Jan 2 2020, 03:53 PM
Post #50

THANK YOU!

I want to thank everyone who helped me with this issue. My new ignition switch came in and I installed it. I turned the key and my dashboard lit up and the fuel pump kicked on. I'm now getting power to fuse #9.

Now I just need to get my car to start. But my electrical is all working now thanks to all of your help.
+Quote Post
pastormacman
post Mar 23 2020, 10:26 AM
Post #51

THE FACE I MADE WHEN MY CAR STARTED!

Attached Image

After installing a new fuel pump and rebuilding one of the carburetors (never done that before) I was getting gas into all four barrels and spark to all plugs.

Thank you all for your help and advice. You helped me through what I couldn't figure out.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 03:03 AM