Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Type IV Engine thoughts...., Off Topic for the vehicle, but on for the engine
malcolm2
post Nov 18 2019, 09:58 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,139
Region Association: South East States

I can't seem to settle on what I should do here. I have a good 1.8 engine, that I probably could have just attempted to get running, but it was so greasy, I figured that it did not have too much maintenance done on it over the years.... I found a bearing had moved a bit and the dowel pin gouged it. But that is all I found. Measured the bearing saddles and they are all round and even front to back.

So I figured I would crack it open and give it new life with a stock rebuild. Just a daily driver, reliable engine with torque for the bus.

I want to put it in my 72 Bus. I figured I would go with new dual carbs and a new carb cam. Considering a mega squirt option tho. So that would be a different cam. On my 914 I got the cam package from Raby years ago, so I figured Type4store for the full cam package with all the goodies.

Again, I was thinking of 96mm P/C, but also figured I would save alittle $ and just re-install the 93mm stock P/C. But the 1911 option is still on the table.

The Heads are what really have me thinking. I would like to find a local shop that might be able to check them over, but I don't think there are VW experts around here now-adays. Should I try to do some checking myself? I am cleaning them up to look for obvious cracks. What else can I do myself?

I know the Type4store has great ones, just can't make myself pull the trigger. Even heard bad stories about AMC stock (non-type4 store ones) being not so good.

Asked similar questions on TheSamba but really did not get much advice.

You guys have any thoughts?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st May 2024 - 06:34 PM