Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Considering migrating from a Miata... am I crazy?
fuzzybeanbag
post Nov 21 2019, 03:17 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 23,660
Region Association: Northern California

Hi all,

First - sorry ahead of time if you've seen a million of these posts...

I currently own a rare-ish 95 M Edition Miata (the purple one); low mileage, exceptionally maintained, race suspension bla bla, etc. It is a fun car, a weekend tosser if you will, and the 2nd one I've owned so I know my way around Miatas.

Recently, I've been looking around 914s in the CA Bay Area, a car that I've always liked (and only because if the flip-up headlights)... and come across a couple that are priced fairly well and appear to be fairly restored, at least cosmetically.

But - I am a stranger to aircooled drivetrains, my familiarity with VAGs is limited to MK6 GTI, B7 Passats, C7 A6 TDI and B8.5 A4s... so fancy modern cars.

What am I potentially getting myself into? I am good with a screwdriver and a hammer; can even handle a wire stripper and a soldering iron... But in the years I've owned my Miata, aside from the occasional oil change, brake pad/rotor maintenance, and tightening of a slightly leaky oil pan drain plug, I had to do zero work on the car...

... it also has a working A/C.

Thanks in advance!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/sheeplove.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sheeplove.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sheeplove.gif)

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
Superhawk996
post Nov 21 2019, 07:00 AM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

You're not crazy but beware if you're not mechanically inclined you will either need to gain skills fast, or you'll spend crazy money paying someone else to learn. There are not many mechanics around that really understand these cars and it doesn't make sense IMHO to pay someone else to learn at your expense.

I started with a 914 in the mid 80's and went to a 91' Miata when I graduated college in 94'. I'm now back to a 914.

Similarities:
Both are about 2000 lb cars (95' Miata a fair bit heavier than my 91').

Both are open air converible and great fun.

Both are great handling vehicles.

Great owners clubs and on-line forums for each.

Dissimilarities:
The Miata was nearly maintenance free. A 914 is not.

The Miata had much better ride quality and was fine for long trips. The 914 is more tiresome. Don't get me wrong I've done long trips in both but the 914 does leave you a bit more tired at the end of a day.

The Miata had fully functional heat and A/C. 914's not so much. I thought I had gone to heaven when I spent my 1st winter and 1st hot summer in the Miata!

Miata's are a dime a dozen. 914's aren't.

Miata parts are reasonably cheap, and plentiful. 914 parts prices are now Porsche prices. This forum is great for helping people find parts but they aren't as cheap as Miata parts. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Nov 21 2019, 07:24 AM
Post #3

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

If you think of a 914 as a noisy Miata with way worse maintenance issues and no A/C you will have it on the nose.

In my mind the 914 is the cooler car. But driving them is similar (at last in stock or near stock trim). Both are momentum cars that can REALLY carve and hold in a turn. Both feel about the same speed (again stock to near stock trim) and are slow cars that can be driven fast.

You will be giving up AC and easy maintenance for a car that is appreciating in value and gets a lot of cool nostalgia points.

If you are handy and like to mod, you can build a monster 914 in some ways easier then building a monster miata.

While I can't speak for the 95 Miata, you can see a LOT more out of the 914 then you can out of the MX-5 and its sail panel dead spots and tiny rear window.

Zach
+Quote Post
boxstr
post Nov 21 2019, 08:22 AM
Post #4

MEMBER:PACIFIC NORTHWEST REGION

Member No.: 12
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

One of my first 914 sales on eBay was to a person in the Bay Area. He said that he was a Miata owner and liked the look of the 914 and wanted to know more about it before he bid. I told him to go out and drive one before bidding to see if it was something he would like.
I didn’t hear back, bidding finalized and he was the winning bid. I asked him if he ever went and drove one, he replied no I know I will like the 914. Okay. The car was shipped and he received it.
About one month later, he contacted me and asked if I would buy the 914 back, he didn’t like it as much as he thought he would and was going to stick with the Miata. I reminded him of my earlier suggestion to go drive one and that he hadn’t done that, I suggested he put it back on eBay and sell it himself. He did just that and is a happy Miata driver.
Craig at MX5
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Nov 21 2019, 08:27 AM
Post #5

Michael

Member No.: 9,712

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) I always liked the Miata. I think you will really like the 914. Take your time to read everything you can about these cars and their issues. If you buy one, try to find one that has minimal rust and is a well documented, as original as possible car. Don't rush and grab the first pretty one you see. I have seen a lot of these cars "restored" by "flippers" and really all they did was mask the problem areas. Rust is the death of these cars and you want to be sure you know the condition of the chassis at the tine you but it. Read, read, read. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Chi-town
post Nov 21 2019, 09:18 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 22,446
Region Association: Southern California

Yes, you are crazy.

You're looking at stepping out of one of the most capable chassis in the automotive industry with all the creature comforts (heat/AC) and into a 40 year old antique that is lucky if it can defrost it's own windows.

Don't get me wrong, I like my 914.

I like:
The challenge of sourcing / selling parts
The challenge of improving outdated mechanical design
The challenge of putting an engine in it that is reliable, makes decent power and doesn't sound like a VW bus. (And doesn't cost $10k+)

And I like the 914 community, 99.9% of them are good people. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

If you've got money to burn and want a sports car to work on and you're already familiar with Mazda, go find an FD RX-7 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
gereed75
post Nov 21 2019, 09:22 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 15,674
Region Association: North East States

Welcome. I suggest that you definitely get a drive in the 914 before making up your mind. A significant drive, include a variety of roads, not just around the block on a smooth local road.

I have never owned or driven a Miata, but I suspect that a 914 will not compare well in ride quality to the Miata - more flex, less compliance, more judder on rough roads, an awkward seating position. All things you can live with, but may not be apparent on a quick lap around the campus.

I suggest that a more comparable mid engined ride would be an mid year MR2. Also comes with Toyota reliability. Don’t get me or us wrong, back in the day my 73 2 liter 914 was dead reliable, but 50 years in who knows what might needs fixed after neglect, wear and tear, rust and DAPO abuse. There are probably lots of near perfect examples out there but the average ones are projects at some level.

Having said that, I love my 914, for its engineering efficiency and performance and just plain fun factor. Admire Miata for what they are, but don’t want one. Good luck in your
Search. Carpe Viam! (Seize the road!)
+Quote Post
Racer
post Nov 21 2019, 09:22 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 1,073

914 = slower and louder. Vague shifter. more NVH. No climate controls (no ac and heat, well, can be good, can be smelly.. can be good and smelly (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) ) Do you want to learn about 914 FI or Carbs.. as cars you find may have either one.

All that said, I just love 914's.. The smell, the noise, the easy fiberglass top, the handling, the lack of ABS, the lack of modern creature comforts.

I couldn't tell if you are giving up the Miata for a 914 or adding a 914 to the stable. Adding is a no brainer... Replacing? as someone above mentioned, go test drive a few.. from stock to modded.

Check the board to figure out what some of the main challenges are (besides age of the car - 45-50 years old!) to keeping them running and where the problems can be.

Be aware that a 914, even stock, has a more frequent service interval (plugs, timing, oil changes, valve adjustments etc) than you are used to . You will need to either learn them or find a shop that still knows how to do them.
+Quote Post
thelogo
post Nov 21 2019, 09:36 AM
Post #9

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 11,572
Region Association: None

Yeh your slighty of center not crazy but

Just focus on this 1 ? Have you ever owned and operated a air cooled volkswagen of any make or model because i always recommend you start with a bug or equivalent with a stock 1600 ...

The car is kinda disposable.... If you fuck up somethings or learn to work on it or break it .your not really screwed.

So you learn and make mistakes on that pos

And when you have a feel for aircooled vw then you move up to the 914 ....

I personally cant stand any miata ...im 6ft3 and its just a car i dont fit in so a 914 is way above the miata on interior volume\ room and the one mx5 i rode in was a 2002 model. It was rattle prone got terrible milage .was a auto and not my thing .

But also 914 is not really a daily driver ( only 1 side mirror( .lol)no hvac etc .... Miata all day daily
+Quote Post
Jamie
post Nov 21 2019, 09:37 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 2,939
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Racer @ Nov 21 2019, 07:22 AM) *

914 = slower and louder. Vague shifter. more NVH. No climate controls (no ac and heat, well, can be good, can be smelly.. can be good and smelly (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) ) Do you want to learn about 914 FI or Carbs.. as cars you find may have either one.

All that said, I just love 914's.. The smell, the noise, the easy fiberglass top, the handling, the lack of ABS, the lack of modern creature comforts.

I couldn't tell if you are giving up the Miata for a 914 or adding a 914 to the stable. Adding is a no brainer... Replacing? as someone above mentioned, go test drive a few.. from stock to modded.

Check the board to figure out what some of the main challenges are (besides age of the car - 45-50 years old!) to keeping them running and where the problems can be.

Be aware that a 914, even stock, has a more frequent service interval (plugs, timing, oil changes, valve adjustments etc) than you are used to . You will need to either learn them or find a shop that still knows how to do them.

As a reliable daily driver you would be crazy to swap a Miata for a 914. With the value of enjoyment of ownership I would have both a 914 and Miata, totally different machines, and maintenance requirements. I am familiar with the Miata since my nephew races a Spec Miata, and he and his buds has spent many days and nights in my garage before recently purchasing his own home.
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Nov 21 2019, 09:54 AM
Post #11

Car Hoarder!

Member No.: 12,871

I have three Miatas and even more 914’s. One is not a direct replacement for the other.

I would literally get into any of my Miatas and drive cross country. I MIGHT have one 914 that could make it? Even then, I would be worried.

Keep the Miata and buy a 914. Then you can have the best of both worlds.
+Quote Post
JmuRiz
post Nov 21 2019, 10:09 AM
Post #12

914 Guru

Member No.: 50

QUOTE(billh1963 @ Nov 21 2019, 07:54 AM) *

I have three Miatas and even more 914’s. One is not a direct replacement for the other.

I would literally get into any of my Miatas and drive cross country. I MIGHT have one 914 that could make it? Even then, I would be worried.

Keep the Miata and buy a 914. Then you can have the best of both worlds.

"Keep the Miata and buy a 914. Then you can have the best of both worlds."
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
DickSteinkamp
post Nov 21 2019, 10:37 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 20,876

QUOTE(fuzzybeanbag @ Nov 21 2019, 01:17 AM) *

...so I know my way around Miatas.

I'm exaggerating, but "knowing your way around Miatas" means remembering how to open the fuel door and when to take it to Jiffy Lube.

A Miata is quicker, handles better, shifts smoother, is quieter, gets better mileage. It's more comfortable, more dependable, and safer than a 914. You can put the top up or down at a stop light, parts are relatively inexpensive, every town has a Mazda dealer AND multiple inde shops if needed.

Only you can decide if your love for the 914 is worth forgoing the above.

+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Nov 21 2019, 10:56 AM
Post #14

Life's been good to me so far.....

Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

My wife and I have been around 914s for a LONG time (34 years). When she bought her's, it was 11 years old. Once we worked out the small issues with it, it was very reliable and fairly low maintenance. However, time has taken it's toll. Her car is still very reliable, and is still a daily driver. I would not hesitate to get in it and drive it cross country to another event. But that is at the expense of more frequent maintenance and minor repairs. And it has never a decent defroster......

The reason it is so reliable is it has been maintained by us since 1985. I know every nut, bolt, screw, piston, gear and bearing on that car personally. I know all the history, and there is no DAPO to blame anymore.

Taking on an unknown old car that is almost 50 years old is not a venture for the faint of heart. It takes a lot of persistence, and patience.

Mind you, I am not trying to discourage you, just to make you aware of the reality of the situation. The 914 of 35 years ago is the same as a currently running Miata. Great fun car, and fairly reliable. In 35 years, the Miata will be just like a 914, needing lots of maintenance to keep it on the road.

If you decide to get one, you will have loads of support from everyone here. You will be part of a dynamic group that really loves these cars and will do anything they can to help you.

But always keep in mind the age of the 914. At 50, they are still going strong.. with lots of love from the owners.

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
rjames
post Nov 21 2019, 11:20 AM
Post #15

I'm made of metal

Member No.: 4,467
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

My step dad bought a used first gen Miata and drove it for 10 years with absolutely zero issues before selling it because he decided he needed a back seat. During that time my 914 was on jack stands more times than I care to remember. Also, as much as I love my 914, I wouldn’t want it as a daily driver.

If you like having a reliable car with modern comforts forget the 914.
If it’s going to be a second car for you and you think you’ll enjoy working on it (or have deep pockets to pay someone else to do it), go for it. IMHO the 914 has way more character than any Miata.

As others have said though, go drive one.

+Quote Post
abes914
post Nov 21 2019, 11:27 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 12,880
Region Association: Southern California

If you have other car for everyday use and would love a challenge-sure. Please note that Porsche parts are more expensive than Mazda. If you get a 914 with Subaru engine, then I say go for it.

One reason I got a 914 and not a Miata was that I don’t have to smog my 914. I had to pay smog with my b16 crx every other year and my crx cannot be daily driven because thieves were trying to steal it. It got stolen two weeks after I sold it.
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Nov 21 2019, 12:51 PM
Post #17

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Boxster
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Nov 21 2019, 01:14 PM
Post #18

Car Hoarder!

Member No.: 12,871

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Nov 21 2019, 01:51 PM) *

Boxster

Until your engine blows like mine did on the way to Okteenerfest this year
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Nov 21 2019, 02:28 PM
Post #19

Resident German

Member No.: 179

QUOTE(fuzzybeanbag @ Nov 21 2019, 01:17 AM) *
CA Bay Area

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)

+Quote Post
Mayne
post Nov 21 2019, 03:13 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 20,880

OP states his Miata is a fun weekend car, so it doesn't seem DD reliability is needed.

OP, the only reason you mention for actually liking 914s is the popup headlights, so you probably want to drive a few to see if there are other elements you like.

Also, since we're talking options, I could suggest a 944, especially an S2 convertible if you like dropping the top. They feel more vintage than a Miata, but a nice one is comfortable, fairly reliable, and fun. And to me, a more "grownup" looking car than a Miata.

Boxster was mentioned. Hard choice so I have a Boxster, 944, and 914. That way at least one is is running at any given time...usually!
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th April 2024 - 05:02 AM