Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Considering migrating from a Miata... am I crazy?
ClayPerrine
post Nov 21 2019, 03:13 PM
Post #21

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(billh1963 @ Nov 21 2019, 01:14 PM) *

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Nov 21 2019, 01:51 PM) *

Boxster

Until your engine blows like mine did on the way to Okteenerfest this year

Put a suby six into the boxster. No more IMS issues. And it makes more power.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
BENBRO02
post Nov 21 2019, 03:35 PM
Post #22

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,493
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I've got both a 914 and an MX-5. I have driven the 914 about 8,000 miles in the past year and prefer driving it over the Miata on days when the weather permits. I doubt it would be practical to daily the 914 unless your name is Betty (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving-girl.gif) , and Clay turns wrenches for you.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Nov 21 2019, 06:08 PM
Post #23

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388
Region Association: None

I have a 94 M edition and 914s. they are both capable, when I auto-xed a lot with NASA I would run against other Miata owners in my 914, only thing that caught me was a supercharged or turbo unit. 914s can be great cars. But they are 50 years old, they lack refinement of nice haves, like A/C.

The 914 does have more interior room and head room. I had a 1990 Miata that I fit in better. the 94 M I sit tall and hit my head on the bows or the hard top.
+Quote Post
Rand
post Nov 21 2019, 06:26 PM
Post #24

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573

If nobody has said it clearly: The Miata is a superior car!!

But driven mostly by girls and grandmas with after life crisis effect. I'll take a rude 914 every time.

+Quote Post
fuzzybeanbag
post Nov 21 2019, 06:28 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 23,660
Region Association: Northern California

First - thank you all for your candid feedback! As someone mentioned in earlier replies - y'all are a good bunch.

To clarify a few things:

- My Miata is definitely not a daily driver. I put around 3500 miles a year on it, less if the weather is permitting.

- I am actually not a huge fan of drop-top. Mine has a hard top and I rarely (if ever) take it off. Yes - I know, what's the purpose of having a convertible if you aren't using it as a convertible. It is simply a personal preference.

- Someone commented on the fact that I liked the 914 only because of the headlights - it was a cheeky comment on my end. I think the car looks timeless; both vintage yet modern; really appeals to me.

I also understand that it'd need more maintenance than a Miata; but the part cost is something I didn't realize. I will need to check things out to get a general idea. Nevertheless - I think I have a better (initial) understanding of what having a 914 would entail. I think the comment that stood out the most was that a 45 year old Miata in 20 years will be just like a 45 year old 914 today.
+Quote Post
Rand
post Nov 21 2019, 06:31 PM
Post #26

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573

QUOTE(fuzzybeanbag @ Nov 21 2019, 04:28 PM) *

I think the comment that stood out the most was that a 45 year old Miata in 20 years will be just like a 45 year old 914 today.

This is the only thing you got 100% wrong. The 914 will appreciate and be perpetually cool forever. The Miata won't.
+Quote Post
rjames
post Nov 21 2019, 06:47 PM
Post #27

I'm made of metal

Member No.: 4,467
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(fuzzybeanbag @ Nov 21 2019, 04:28 PM) *
I think the comment that stood out the most was that a 45 year old Miata in 20 years will be just like a 45 year old 914 today.

Except maybe not worth as much, depending on condition.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Nov 21 2019, 07:11 PM
Post #28

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Spend more than you want to and buy the best car that you can find. Other than a money pit 'project', plan on a prepurchse inspection(s). Don't be swayed by a 'pretty face' and jump in with both guns blazing. You can get to (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) quickly with the wrong 914.
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Nov 21 2019, 08:13 PM
Post #29

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(Chi-town @ Nov 21 2019, 10:18 AM) *

Yes, you are crazy.

You're looking at stepping out of one of the most capable chassis in the automotive industry with all the creature comforts (heat/AC) and into a 40 year old antique that is lucky if it can defrost it's own windows.

Don't get me wrong, I like my 914.

I like:
The challenge of sourcing / selling parts
The challenge of improving outdated mechanical design
The challenge of putting an engine in it that is reliable, makes decent power and doesn't sound like a VW bus. (And doesn't cost $10k+)

And I like the 914 community, 99.9% of them are good people. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

If you've got money to burn and want a sports car to work on and you're already familiar with Mazda, go find an FD RX-7 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

@Chi-town

Now I understand why we are often of the opposite opinion. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grouphug.gif)

The challenge of sourcing / selling parts -- A necessary evil. I much prefer getting on-line and just ordering what I need as brand new parts without any question of where they have been or how they were previously abused. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

The challenge of improving outdated mechanical design -- I love that it is dated and pretty much accept it's limitations. I could buy a new car with 500 HP or an EV for brutal straght line acceleration but where's the fun in that. Just another modern pod / cage. If I want to go faster I'll just ride one of the motorcycles. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

The challenge of putting an engine in it that is reliable, makes decent power and doesn't sound like a VW bus. (And doesn't cost $10k+) -- I love the noises air cooled motors make, but, I do lust after the scream of a 911 engine and that fan noise that will cost $10K plus, isn't modern, and has it's limitations that I'll accept. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I really do appreciate that you've rescued a teener from EV land though! And the RX-7 comment - truer words have never been spoken.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Nov 21 2019, 08:26 PM
Post #30

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Nov 21 2019, 10:51 AM) *

Boxster

I'd agree. I loved my 914 for over ten years. It was completely stock.

I still love the crew here and the people.

But.......for what I sold my stock teener for you can get a cheap 986 or 987.

AND for the price of a roaring six in the teener have a stock M96 or M97 engine for the same price.

So to each is own but Miata's are great little cars but have ac and a defroster.

My wife's daily is a CX-5....Mazada make a great engine and car for the money.

If it's a long term resto project or a stock teener with a great tub....then maybe and be prepared to do your own work or know how when something breaks.

Good luck in your decision.
+Quote Post
bkrantz
post Nov 21 2019, 09:17 PM
Post #31

914 Guru

Member No.: 23,343
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

The 914 and Miata are on opposite sides of an auto technology divide. The 914 is from the era when cars required frequent expert service, and at best would run poorly if ignored. The Miata is from the newer era where cars could run well without much complex servicing, just oil and filter changes.

So enjoying a 914 means enjoying keeping up with mechanical needs and sometimes driving a thrilling if spartan true sports car (and more true for those who think true sports cars have to hurt a bit). Enjoying a Miata is about driving a true sports car that makes fewer demands on the owner, with optional tinkering.
+Quote Post
Amphicar770
post Nov 22 2019, 04:46 PM
Post #32

Member No.: 11,639
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Definitely drive one first. I owned a Miata a few years ago. Both great cars but very different. Miata is more refined, quieter, almost zero maintenance. 914 creates more of a man to machine connection, gets a lot more attention and compliments. I prefer my 914 but can understand how others might prefer the Miata.
+Quote Post
RARE 6
post Nov 22 2019, 06:30 PM
Post #33

Member No.: 18,337
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Or you could just put pop-up headlights on your Miata. Probably cheaper in the long run.
+Quote Post
BuddyV
post Nov 24 2019, 12:06 PM
Post #34

Robert

Member No.: 3,898

Hmm..... let me see if I can keep you from a big cry.....

the Porsche thing is a big step up from Miata. History, feel,yada yada.

But the 914 is not what I would call.... uh..... comfortable. The Miata I would definitely call comfortable. You can drive it every day if you wanted. THAT to me is the biggest drawback to the 914.

So.....

I also have a 924S with a 968 motor.

OMG.

Lately I am driving it almost every other day. i get AC, small scale, customizability (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif) , Porsche charm, not-every-other-car-on-the-street, and with the upgraded motor.... power to spare.

.... and pop up headlights (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Maybe my conversion is not ideal..... but if i were coming from the Miata world, I might turn my head toward the 944 Turbo platform. It makes more sense.

Ten years ago this would have been a different conversation..... prices for GOOD, reliable 6 cylinder conversions were reasonable. for a weekend car, that was the ticket.

i just don't think a 4 cylinder is going to do it for you.

Contact me if you want to drive the 924.

+Quote Post
914forme
post Nov 24 2019, 12:21 PM
Post #35

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

QUOTE(RARE 6 @ Nov 22 2019, 07:30 PM) *

Or you could just put pop-up headlights on your Miata. Probably cheaper in the long run.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

Early chassis which his 95 is has pop up head lights.

The M-Editions will be most likely the most collectible of the early Miatas. Mine they made a bit over 2000, that is 914-6 territory. But factory rare color cars will most likely be the top dogs. But they lack a bit of soul. Fun, but soulless.

I am selling my Miata M edition, I am keeping my 914-6. Other cars will come and go, the 914-6 will stay.
+Quote Post
Kraftwerk
post Nov 24 2019, 11:41 PM
Post #36

Member No.: 8,085

I went from a '71 914 to an '99 MX-5 and I would say both are super- fun but not equally reliable... Well, once got the 914 sorted.. it was okay.. but weird things occasionally broke, since it was so old. To be fair, weird things went on the MX-5 too.. But TWO place's the 914 was better : 1. SPACE the 914 actually has more cargo space, if that is important too you. The' warming' trunk in back is already bigger than the Miata trunk and it will keep a large Pizza warm on the way home...and then there is a front trunk, for the cool stuff...Also, handling... just pure fun driving, it's lighter and MID-engined ...although the MX-5 is very close in that 'fun factor' regard, it also does the important stuff better like: brake, accelerate / GO , and heat the compartment or keep it cool ( if/when the AC works) My Miata A.C. needs repair, actually.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Nov 24 2019, 11:50 PM
Post #37

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

QUOTE(BuddyV @ Nov 24 2019, 10:06 AM) *

Hmm..... let me see if I can keep you from a big cry.....

the Porsche thing is a big step up from Miata. History, feel,yada yada.

But the 914 is not what I would call.... uh..... comfortable. The Miata I would definitely call comfortable. You can drive it every day if you wanted. THAT to me is the biggest drawback to the 914.

So.....

I also have a 924S with a 968 motor.

OMG.

Lately I am driving it almost every other day. i get AC, small scale, customizability (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif) , Porsche charm, not-every-other-car-on-the-street, and with the upgraded motor.... power to spare.

.... and pop up headlights (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Maybe my conversion is not ideal..... but if i were coming from the Miata world, I might turn my head toward the 944 Turbo platform. It makes more sense.

Ten years ago this would have been a different conversation..... prices for GOOD, reliable 6 cylinder conversions were reasonable. for a weekend car, that was the ticket.

i just don't think a 4 cylinder is going to do it for you.

Contact me if you want to drive the 924.

Hell of a lot more car in a 944 turbo than the 914 as well for the money. They are now in the same price range again.

The 944 turbo is an incredible car.

Great daily
Great track car
Great nostalgia feel
Great AC and heat
Great power and some serious handling
And you want to talk about practicality? That trunk can fit a sheet of plywood... Or 2k lbs of bricks.... Ask me how I know ..

+Quote Post
Kraftwerk
post Nov 24 2019, 11:56 PM
Post #38

Member No.: 8,085

a Hmm, sheet of ply-wood? You have my attention. We need pictures..
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Nov 25 2019, 11:18 AM
Post #39

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

QUOTE(Kraftwerk @ Nov 24 2019, 09:56 PM) *

If I remember correctly we used 2x4s on the bottom, put the plywood on too and strapped it to the roll bar. But it's been 20 years, it could have been a cut sheet.
+Quote Post
Mayne
post Nov 25 2019, 11:47 AM
Post #40

Member No.: 20,880

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Nov 25 2019, 12:18 PM) *

QUOTE(Kraftwerk @ Nov 24 2019, 09:56 PM) *

If I remember correctly we used 2x4s on the bottom, put the plywood on too and strapped it to the roll bar. But it's been 20 years, it could have been a cut sheet.

Yeah, I'm having a hard time imagining a full sheet of plywood in my 951. But an orchestra teacher friend of mine swears she can fit a full sized double bass in the back of her 968 with the passenger seat leaned forward. No comment from her passenger.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th April 2024 - 06:54 AM