Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Classified Rules!
3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Just drove that white 914/6 3.0 L car in Newport
mountainroads
post Dec 6 2019, 03:58 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,145
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(roblav1 @ Dec 5 2019, 03:35 PM) *

Agree... $27.5k is a good deal. I'm building one now and am way over that already. My engine alone is $25k.

I can attest to that, as well. Mine's not a conversion nor did it require major restoration, but the expenses racked up in a big hurry.

- MR
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
burton73
post Dec 7 2019, 02:11 PM
Post #22

burton73

Member No.: 7,414
Region Association: Southern California

What does this car use for extra oil cooling?

I have a message in but no word back

Bob B
+Quote Post
914z
post Dec 9 2019, 02:16 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 2,737

QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Dec 4 2019, 12:30 PM) *

If he has the stock CIS pistons in the car still you can convert it to CIS. Which isn't too hard but it will take finding a nice CIS system and some homework.

Also I think if you just put on a stock 911 air cleaner and one of Ben's new quiet mufflers it should tame it down quite a bit with some easy parts swapping.

I like it loud, when I went from CIS to webers I was in love... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)

DITTO!!! The CIS will give you the gas mileage(?) but there is nothing like the sound of gasoline being fed into the venturies (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)
+Quote Post
matthepcat
post Dec 10 2019, 11:10 AM
Post #24

Meat Popsicle

Member No.: 11,125
Region Association: Northern California

I would take off the carbs and run a megasquirt based ITB set up. No way would I go back to CIS. Somthing like this: https://www.x-faktory.com/store/c6/EFI.html
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Dec 10 2019, 11:31 AM
Post #25

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489

QUOTE(6s219 @ Dec 4 2019, 05:47 PM) *

I was considering this car however the salvage title turned me away. I think it is a good build and as the seller said, you will be hard-pressed to find a better canyon carver. But remember the car you buy today might be the car you have to sell in the future and that salvage title might be a black cloud. I have found salvage cars always have a story as to why they were salvaged.

I bought a used Cayman as a salvage title. It was hit in the front and the insurance company bought it. 60 k on the clock and for an 06 I've had more fun in it for the last two years.

I considered building a -6 for my 914 before I bought the Cayman. I got a stealer deal on the Cayman because of the title.

To build a car like this would cost twice as much as the asking price. The motor alone is over 20k.

If the ask is 27k and everything checks out that is a killer deal.

If I had space in my garage I'd get it.

GLWS
+Quote Post
burton73
post Dec 10 2019, 11:50 AM
Post #26

burton73

Going down now to CK it out. Joe is a nice guy on the phone.

I will let you all know.

Bob B (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
burton73
post Dec 11 2019, 02:52 PM
Post #27

burton73

Joe had a lot of nice cars over at his place. On to the 914-6 3.0 conversation. Work was done at Mario and dads shop in the San Fernando Valley. The body was not that bad from the front hit back in the day that made it a salvage Pink.
The car had an AC with its 2.0 and the condenser was removed and a piece of steel was welded in but not a replacement panel. The car looks pretty right in the front in the trunk and there are only some small gap difference in the front hood and flip up lights but not that bad.
The car has a Carrera front end and someone put vented disks on rear and spaced out the 914-4 rear calipers for ebrake that works fine. The car has Webbers 40s and at this time does nor idle well and needs some tuning but the car also did not have filters on the Webbers and it is very loud. That and the GT twin exhaust pipe in the center of rear of muffler. Very loud. No extra oil cooling but he has a GT engine lid that does not pop up because it has no springs on it.

The engine looks super clean from the bottom. Jo says it only has a couple of hundred miles on the Eng. and trans was just rebuilt and worked well. The throttle is not smooth at all and this make the car in this state hard to drive smooth. Car has 7in Fuchs all around and is lowered a bit and scrapes the tires when going down or up a driveway at slow speed. Rear lips are not rolled. Paint is older but very shinny and a nice body.
Steering wheel wiggles up and down a little and buy the way you have to yell to he heard by your passenger.

Headers not heat exchangers and as I said very loud.

My 6 at PMB better not be this loud or I will need to rethink it.

If a guy got it at the right price he could do a bit of work to it to get it very nice but way more than my buddie is looking for.

Bob B
+Quote Post
flat4guy
post Dec 11 2019, 08:09 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 20,484
Region Association: Northern California

Thanks for the report - I have a loud 912 now so the wife would not like another one, haha. Still tempting but need to figure how much it will take to make it a good fun driver.
+Quote Post
Alapone
post Dec 12 2019, 08:07 AM
Post #29

Member No.: 15,734
Region Association: None

QUOTE(burton73 @ Dec 11 2019, 04:52 PM) *

Joe had a lot of nice cars over at his place. On to the 914-6 3.0 conversation. Work was done at Mario and dads shop in the San Fernando Valley. The body was not that bad from the front hit back in the day that made it a salvage Pink.
The car had an AC with its 2.0 and the condenser was removed and a piece of steel was welded in but not a replacement panel. The car looks pretty right in the front in the trunk and there are only some small gap difference in the front hood and flip up lights but not that bad.
The car has a Carrera front end and someone put vented disks on rear and spaced out the 914-4 rear calipers for ebrake that works fine. The car has Webbers 40s and at this time does nor idle well and needs some tuning but the car also did not have filters on the Webbers and it is very loud. That and the GT twin exhaust pipe in the center of rear of muffler. Very loud. No extra oil cooling but he has a GT engine lid that does not pop up because it has no springs on it.

The engine looks super clean from the bottom. Jo says it only has a couple of hundred miles on the Eng. and trans was just rebuilt and worked well. The throttle is not smooth at all and this make the car in this state hard to drive smooth. Car has 7in Fuchs all around and is lowered a bit and scrapes the tires when going down or up a driveway at slow speed. Rear lips are not rolled. Paint is older but very shinny and a nice body.
Steering wheel wiggles up and down a little and buy the way you have to yell to he heard by your passenger.

If a guy got it at the right price he could do a bit of work to it to get it very nice but way more than my buddie is looking for.

Bob B

Any word on how oil cooling is handled?
+Quote Post
infraredcalvin
post Dec 12 2019, 08:59 AM
Post #30

Distracted Member

Member No.: 9,463

QUOTE(Alapone @ Dec 12 2019, 06:07 AM) *

Bob B

+Quote Post
burton73
post Dec 12 2019, 11:49 AM
Post #31

burton73

Note this is not my car. I just went down with a bud to CK it out.

On this car Oil cooling is a what looks like a stock on engine 911sc oil cooling. The oil cooler on the car looks super clean. They think only a couple of hundred miles on it. Look if the factory put up front extra oil cooling on 911scs I would do the same for this car. Some people run one in the rear like the one Tangerine racing sells, but he has set ups for the 4 and I am not sure he has a under rear trunk one for a six?

Ben has lines for front cooler and heat exchangers and mufflers.

https://914-6werkshop.com/shop/products/

http://www.tangerineracing.com/contact_us.htm

Bob B

+Quote Post
Alapone
post Dec 12 2019, 12:09 PM
Post #32

Member No.: 15,734

QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Dec 12 2019, 10:59 AM) *

QUOTE(Alapone @ Dec 12 2019, 06:07 AM) *

Bob B

ha thanks sry
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Dec 13 2019, 08:41 AM
Post #33

Advanced Member

Member No.: 21,666

On a sidenote it continues to amaze me how many people claim to be interested in buying a $25,000 plus car but can’t be bothered to read the description of what’s been provided including that both Bob and I have made clear it is not our car.
+Quote Post
thelogo
post Dec 14 2019, 03:50 PM
Post #34

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 11,572

Without salvage title it would be sold .

That shit scares people off i think .
And by the time you re do the exausht and add a front cooler $$$
And add the correct non rubbing size wheels and tires
More $

And tuneing ??? Wtf . that cost money too
And not having it dialed in ( able to idle) etc
Is bad judgement on the sellers part .

That being said .... I love the car and would be a buyer at 20k (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif). Because i would just want to drive the snot out of it not go the concourse route

There was a red conversion /6
3.2 that was asking 10k
Car didnt need much

Dont think it sold
+Quote Post
PotterPorsche
post Dec 15 2019, 06:54 PM
Post #35

Member No.: 16,628

QUOTE(thelogo @ Dec 14 2019, 02:50 PM) *

More $

That being said .... I love the car and would be a buyer at 20k (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif). Because i would just want to drive the snot out of it not go the concourse route

3.2 that was asking 10k
Car didnt need much

Dont think it sold

3.2 go for more than 10k for the engine alone .
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Dec 16 2019, 10:24 AM
Post #36

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Dec 13 2019, 06:41 AM) *

On a sidenote it continues to amaze me how many people claim to be interested in buying a $25,000 plus car but can’t be bothered to read the description of what’s been provided including that both Bob and I have made clean it is not our car.

.....and can't

right....write.

+Quote Post
thelogo
post Dec 17 2019, 03:02 AM
Post #37

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 11,572

QUOTE(PotterPorsche @ Dec 15 2019, 04:54 PM) *

More $

3.2 that was asking 10k
Car didnt need much

Dont think it sold

So said the guy who was selling it .

I posted it here on classifieds .

I'm almost sure Leamon beat me too it .bit (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif)
+Quote Post
Racer
post Dec 17 2019, 08:34 AM
Post #38

Member No.: 1,073
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

"investment" buyers don't want a salvage title. Honestly, a 40+ year olfd car that hasn't had a tweak? Given that these cars were so cheap for so long, not suprised that an accident would have totaled it.. ie, its a $5K car when in an accident. Costs $3k to fix. Insurance decides to total/salvage it out. Not shocked.

Problem is many still want "investment" benefits, even if the car in question more than suits their needs.

As someone mentioned... this one would just be a case of buy low sell low, vs buy low, sell high. So what. Salvage means open season to flare out, cage, take racing, enjoy as is w/o fear of needing to insure for $100K.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Dec 17 2019, 09:21 AM
Post #39

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

QUOTE(thelogo @ Dec 17 2019, 04:02 AM) *

QUOTE(PotterPorsche @ Dec 15 2019, 04:54 PM) *

More $

3.2 that was asking 10k
Car didnt need much

Dont think it sold

So said the guy who was selling it .

I posted it here on classifieds .

I'm almost sure Leamon beat me too it .bit (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif)

the $10K 3.2 was a scam ad.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Dec 17 2019, 09:22 AM
Post #40

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

QUOTE(Racer @ Dec 17 2019, 09:34 AM) *

"investment" buyers don't want a salvage title. Honestly, a 40+ year olfd car that hasn't had a tweak? Given that these cars were so cheap for so long, not suprised that an accident would have totaled it.. ie, its a $5K car when in an accident. Costs $3k to fix. Insurance decides to total/salvage it out. Not shocked.

Problem is many still want "investment" benefits, even if the car in question more than suits their needs.

As someone mentioned... this one would just be a case of buy low sell low, vs buy low, sell high. So what. Salvage means open season to flare out, cage, take racing, enjoy as is w/o fear of needing to insure for $100K.

Guys still think it cost $5K to do a conversion. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 05:10 AM