Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Stories of knucklehead mistakes, Make me feel better about the scratches in my new paint
fiacra
post Dec 2 2019, 09:03 PM
Post #21

Person.Woman.Man.Camera.TV

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,920
Region Association: Northern California

At the end of a long hard day I put my truck in reverse by accident and hit the accelerator only to fly backwards, through my partially open wood garage door, and into my previously undamaged 914 that was being stored in the garage. There is nothing that can compare to the intense ten seconds when I thought my wife, who was previously behind the truck, was pinned under the truck. She wasn't, but I nearly had a heart attack until I saw her off to the side of the truck. Then, the parade of neighbors coming to see what happened, another several hours in the late night/early morning trying to piece a destroyed wood garage door back together, then $3K to replace the garage door, having to see the damage every time I look at my car or my truck, etc.

It's been a few months and I still haven't taken the cover off the 914 to fully take a look at all the damage. Still working up the courage.... I'm just lucky nobody was hurt and that I didn't make the evening news. On the plus side, the new garage door is nice (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Jett
post Dec 2 2019, 09:44 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 17,686
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I bought an orient red 996 TT last year and while washing for the first time, I mishandled the rear wiper and applied two deep scratches above the driver side rear glass — perfect place to see it, every time I get in (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif). Had the scratches fixed and it was close to $1K.
+Quote Post
iankarr
post Dec 2 2019, 09:46 PM
Post #23

The wrencher formerly known as Cuddy_K

Member No.: 18,749
Region Association: Intermountain Region

mark me down for another hood pin horror. I had just left a local cruise in my 65 mustaang coupe. A split second after I realized I still had the hood pins in my pocket and hit the brakes, the hood flew up at me, bending it and the hinges in the process. I'm so lucky it didn't smash the windshield.

yes, we've all paid the "idiot tax"
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Dec 2 2019, 10:09 PM
Post #24

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

Another one of mine....

If you look at the ceiling in my garage, above the lift, you will notice two curved holes in the sheetrock. One day I raised our 95 BMW 540i up and forgot to set the rear of the hood down on the body. The rear corners of the BMW hood match the curved holes in the ceiling. Luckily therw was no damage to the BMW hood.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

One more recent. I changed the oil pressure sender on Igor, and forgot to hook the hose that runs from the oil tank to the top of the engine back up. So there was an open hole in the top of the motor. Then I took it out for a drive..... BIG oily mess........
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Dec 2 2019, 10:30 PM
Post #25

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

Looks like you are in good company Steve! I have a few spots, scratches that all have a story , one was as I was putting the trim on the front window slipped and the trim gouged the top front , but the one that hurts the most is probably when I was putting stuff away in garage and I could see it happening and do. I thing to stop it as it was out of my reach, stuff started to fall and right onto the front hood of my Maserati which btw the whole car is dent free scratch free and show quality- couple plastic drawers start to fall and land on the hood! Bunch of junk that should have been thrown away that the wife couldn’t part with (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) well it’s all in the trash now but too little too late... I was a able to buff out most of the scratches but I now have a small dent right in the middle of the hood I hope a dent repair guy can pull out.
I guess it will happen eventually.

Learned my lesson, NEVER do that kind of work with the car in the garage!

+Quote Post
Jengah
post Dec 2 2019, 10:31 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 22,277
Region Association: Central California

I took my freshly painted, slope nose Chalon kit car out for a spin as soon as the dual Webers were tuned enough to run (ignoring my mechanic friends advice of "Don't drive it! The brakes are toast."). Well years of teenage angst and desire were suddenly erased the second I backed the thing out of the garage and ran it up the street. Twenty minutes later and I was all smiles until my pedal went soft as I entered a hairpin turn. I down shifted as fast as I could, pumped the brakes, and turned the wheel as fast as I could but I only made it about 130 degrees around and ended up smashing my new front end into the hillside.

The good news was I never liked the early '80s slope nose bumper so now I got to upgrade to the flat, late 80's style with integrated fog lights.
+Quote Post
rbzymek
post Dec 2 2019, 10:32 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 23,013
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Dec 2 2019, 11:09 PM) *

Another one of mine....

If you look at the ceiling in my garage, above the lift, you will notice two curved holes in the sheetrock. One day I raised our 95 BMW 540i up and forgot to set the rear of the hood down on the body. The rear corners of the BMW hood match the curved holes in the ceiling. Luckily therw was no damage to the BMW hood.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

One more recent. I changed the oil pressure sender on Igor, and forgot to hook the hose that runs from the oil tank to the top of the engine back up. So there was an open hole in the top of the motor. Then I took it out for a drive..... BIG oily mess........

In the process of working on my 1.8L engine I would place items on my protected rear trunk hood. One of the items was a plastic grocery bag. I didn't notice that it had disappeared. Took the car for a 20 mile run an when I pulled in the drive way my oil light came on and there was a lot of smoke coming from the engine compartment. I thought it was going to flash and burn. Turns out the bag had been blown into the engine bay and sucked into the fan blocking the cooling air. The engine was toast. Happy ending: I bought a 2056 long block way sooner than I had planned.
+Quote Post
stevegm
post Dec 3 2019, 09:15 AM
Post #28

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,633

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Dec 2 2019, 11:30 PM) *

Looks like you are in good company Steve! I have a few spots, scratches that all have a story , one was as I was putting the trim on the front window slipped and the trim gouged the top front , but the one that hurts the most is probably when I was putting stuff away in garage and I could see it happening and do. I thing to stop it as it was out of my reach, stuff started to fall and right onto the front hood of my Maserati which btw the whole car is dent free scratch free and show quality- couple plastic drawers start to fall and land on the hood! Bunch of junk that should have been thrown away that the wife couldn’t part with (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) well it’s all in the trash now but too little too late... I was a able to buff out most of the scratches but I now have a small dent right in the middle of the hood I hope a dent repair guy can pull out.
I guess it will happen eventually.

Learned my lesson, NEVER do that kind of work with the car in the garage!

It seems unavoidable. BTW - I got wait listed for Amelia C&C. So we will see if it works out.
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Dec 3 2019, 09:53 AM
Post #29

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241

Not that I'm admitting I did it but:

When drilling into a panel to mount a fiberglass part, always check that the wiring harness doesn't run RIGHT BEHIND where you're drilling. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
Rotary'14
post Dec 3 2019, 12:56 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 3,977

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Dec 3 2019, 07:53 AM) *

Not that I'm admitting I did it but:

When drilling into a panel to mount a fiberglass part, always check that the wiring harness doesn't run RIGHT BEHIND where you're drilling. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

Or a fuel tank or fuel line,,,,, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
tom.esh
post Dec 3 2019, 01:57 PM
Post #31

Member No.: 17,083
Region Association: North East States

I forgot to install the oil plugs in the back side of a 302 Ford when assembling after rebuild. All was fine until I tried to prime the pump. It wouldn't build pressure. That's when I saw the big puddle of oil under the car. Oh and it soaked the new clutch too. Another, being too lazy to move the car, I managed to slice the tire's sidewall with the mower deck. I was pretty sure the mower would fit through there.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Louiscurtis
post Dec 3 2019, 01:58 PM
Post #32

Member No.: 18,524
Region Association: England

I was pulling the motor from my freshly painted VW T3 van. The back wheels were up on ramps and the tailgate was very close to the ceiling (and some steel L sections which were tied up there for storage). Brain obviously wasn't engaged and so when I removed the engine the back end of the van became lighter and the springs pushed it up a little. Just enough to hit the stored steel sections and damage my fresh painted tailgate.....
+Quote Post
90quattrocoupe
post Dec 3 2019, 03:43 PM
Post #33

Member No.: 20,561
Region Association: Southern California

I used to park my motorcycle behind my 914, because of limited garage space and the 914 was short. Stopped doing that when I knocked the motorcycle over onto the trunk.

We all get scratches, but one of the ways I try to stop this is with trying to protect the area where I am working. I used to use fender pads and stuff, but the bottom sides get dirty and scratch the paint anyway.

So I do this now. If I am working on an area of the car where I am going to be working, I cover it with shrink wrap. Comes on a roll and I just roll it along the car covering the area needed. I use easy lift tape on the edges.

These are pictures of shrink wrap on my Audi, but you get the idea.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-20561-1575409421.1.jpg)

This one is covering the fenders for working on the engine bay.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-20561-1575409421.2.jpg)

On this one I had to remove the whole rear interior in order to get the gas tank out.

If you don't feel one layer is thick enough, wrap it twice.

Greg W.

+Quote Post
burton73
post Dec 3 2019, 05:47 PM
Post #34

burton73

Member No.: 7,414

My first 914 was a 1974 2.0 in 1979. I had it at my friend’s shop doing some work on it and to get into the building you had to drive up the driveways into the building. I was going to back it up a little with the engine off and I was haft in the car with the driver’s door open with my left foot on the ground pushing to start the movement out and my right foot was going to put the brake on when it started to move down the slight angle.

Started to move and when I pushed the peddle down to stop it is was the clutch and well it did nothing and as it hit the garage door frame it opened the door all the way and busted the stop and opened the door all the way creasing the front edge a bit. I was so pissed off but it could have been worse. Nice factory black car only 5 years old back then.

Bob B

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Dec 3 2019, 07:56 PM
Post #35

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439
Region Association: None

I installed my wiper rack 180* out and when I turned on the wipers for the first time they went the wrong way and put two chips in the paint in the cowl.

That experience brings up one of my own personal tech tips: If you've ever taken the wiper rack out, make two pointers out of masking tape and insure correct rotation before installing the wiper arms
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
poorsche914
post Dec 3 2019, 09:38 PM
Post #36

T4 Supercharged

Member No.: 10,419

After we moved into our new (to us) house last December, I was moving the 914 from the upper parking area to the lower garage, at night.
The driveway makes a sharp right curve and there is a 6" or so curb on the right side. I thought I had plenty of room until I heard a horrendous crunching noise (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Destroyed the passenger side rocker panel. Thankfully the curb was low enough that it didn't hit the door!
Attached Image

I eventually hammered it out, painted and reinstalled it right before Okteenerfest. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
djway
post Dec 4 2019, 12:09 AM
Post #37

Member No.: 19,266

I was once at the Restoration Shop that had restored many Pebble Beach winners. I felt much better about myself when I found out they too scratch cars new paint during assembly and it is common for them to do final paint repairs before shipping the car off.
Much Better (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Steve
post Dec 4 2019, 12:19 AM
Post #38

914 Guru

Member No.: 822

QUOTE(Rotary'14 @ Dec 2 2019, 10:14 AM) *

Here's my bone head story,,,

Came back to my 914 with a dead battery after a long rest. put the battery charger/jump starter on the targa top to charge my puppy up. After a few hours of sitting, the battery was charged, so I started her up and let her idle. Well my car had a 1.7 with carbs back then and the idle was a bit high as I let her warm up. The vibration from the car idleing caused the charger to slide off the top and put a nice dent/gouge right next to the sail panel as it bounced off my car and hit the floor. DOH!!

Don't rest your charger on the targa top,,, put it on the trunk lid,,,, ALWAYS!!

If you run into me with my 914,,I'll show you the mark of shame as I still haven't painted her yet,,, but soon I will. Then I can worry about scratches again. 8-)

-Rotary Rob

I did the same thing, but I jacked up one side of the car and the charger slid off the roof and did the same damage.
+Quote Post
cali914
post Dec 4 2019, 08:34 AM
Post #39

cali914

Member No.: 5,934

Painted my 914 Purple had huge steel flares to accommodate the my 315-45-15 drove it home from paint shop and scraped the fireplace sticking out of the driveway with the rear fender. I thought my life was over hahahahahahahaha. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post
volksaddict
post Dec 4 2019, 08:45 AM
Post #40

Member No.: 12,645
Region Association: Southwest Region

I don't own anything that has a decent paint job! A few fresh paints done at home in my dirty shop. Little dings, scratches, no worries!
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:28 AM