Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V « < 4 5 6 7 8 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Another rustoration project…1972 914-6 Conversion
9146C
post Jan 31 2021, 07:40 PM
Post #101

Group: Members
Member No.: 23,460
Region Association: None

@Cairo94507 : Thank you for your feedback. The idea for the tach/fuel gauge combo came from the forums here...I think it was @Timothy_ND28 that proposed the Bosch Tach Internals upgrade to eliminate the tach "bounce". I don't recall the thread that I found the fuel gauge addition...it was here in the forums. I think the fuel gauge addition came from a thread by @914forme .

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/lofiversion/i...hp?t216719.html

@Luke M: You are correct...the oil line kit I purchased is from Elephant racing...I purchased it about 7-8 years ago when I did my 6 conversion initially...the front trunk oil kit came from Patrick Motorsports.

The Elephant kit is all metric...if I recall, the Patrick kit had some SAE fittings.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jan 31 2021, 07:46 PM
Post #102

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

looks good (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Feb 1 2021, 07:30 AM
Post #103

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877
Region Association: North East States

Lookin good, keep it goin, the finish line is near
+Quote Post
9146C
post Feb 13 2021, 11:45 AM
Post #104

Continuing to knock off jobs to completion...

Finally have my brakes bled out...the first time I've ever used the Russell Speed Bleeders (part # 639570)...sure makes for an easy one man job!

Chris Foley's fuel mount arrived this week as well...relocated the fuel pump under the steering rack. Not particularly happy with the additional fuel line (to avoid kinks) but it turned out OK. Happy to have the pump "out of the car" and finally a proper low pressure pump (to eliminate the secondary pressure reducer I had installed when I went to carbs).

Yeah, I know...I should have been more careful when I painted the inside of the trunk to prevent the runs in the photo! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) (The new pan from RD should cover it up nicely!)

The rubber insulated fuel pump mount is excellent!

Also converted the windshield washer system to electric...everything in the front trunk is now complete (with the exception of adding carpet to the bulkhead).

Took the car off the dolly...another milestone.

Hoping that within the next couple of weeks I'll be able to re-install the motor/transaxle.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Feb 14 2021, 09:45 AM
Post #105

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

Looking very nice. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
9146C
post Feb 23 2021, 05:32 PM
Post #106

Working on some odd jobs...

Painted up and re-installed the steering rack pan.

Cleaned up then coated the (rebuilt) transaxle with CRC Heavy Duty Corrosion Inhibitor (06026).

The car is back on the ramps ready for the motor to be re-installed.

Installed the firewall backpad for the interior. Just need to finish up my gauges, re-install the steering column and the carpets and seats and the interior will be done.

Everything in the front trunk is now finished (installed carpeting on the bulkhead).

Re-installed the front hood with the (aftermarket) gas lid cover and the front crest.

Dis-assembled the rear taillights to paint the reflectors with chrome paint and finished installing the rear taillights and rear emblem.

Should be ready to re-install the motor/transaxle this week.

Last major job to finish up will be the modification of the rocker covers and valences for the flares.

My car rolled down the assembly line 49 years ago on March 23rd...that'll be my target date for completion.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
JmuRiz
post Feb 24 2021, 03:48 PM
Post #107

914 Guru

Member No.: 50
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(9146C @ Jan 31 2021, 05:40 PM) *

@Cairo94507 : Thank you for your feedback. The idea for the tach/fuel gauge combo came from the forums here...I think it was @Timothy_ND28 that proposed the Bosch Tach Internals upgrade to eliminate the tach "bounce". I don't recall the thread that I found the fuel gauge addition...it was here in the forums. I think the fuel gauge addition came from a thread by @914forme .

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/lofiversion/i...hp?t216719.html

@Luke M: You are correct...the oil line kit I purchased is from Elephant racing...I purchased it about 7-8 years ago when I did my 6 conversion initially...the front trunk oil kit came from Patrick Motorsports.

The Elephant kit is all metric...if I recall, the Patrick kit had some SAE fittings.

What coolers and locations are you running? Are they in the front of the wheel wells, or are is it all hidden under the parcel shelf? I'm interested in what you're running w/o cutting up the frunk too much.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
9146C
post Feb 24 2021, 04:11 PM
Post #108

[/quote]
What coolers and locations are you running? Are they in the front of the wheel wells, or are is it all hidden under the parcel shelf? I'm interested in what you're running w/o cutting up the frunk too much.
[/quote]

Thanks for the feedback:

I've installed the thermostat and hard oil line kit from Elephant Racing. This kit runs up to the front of the wheel well. To this, I've added the Patrick Motorsports oil cooler kit.

The Elephant Kit includes the hoses to the engine and the oil tank.

In the photos a few threads above, you can see the braided oil lines connecting the two systems.

I cannot recall where I sources the braided lines. I cut two small holes into the inner fender well to connect the hard line kit to the braided lines.

I've created a new (what you're calling the parcel shelf) slightly higher than the original floor to blend into the slope of the oil cooler shroud and give (in my opinion) a slightly cleaner finish to the front trunk.

Attached are the photos from the two supplier websites.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
JmuRiz
post Feb 25 2021, 10:01 AM
Post #109

914 Guru

Member No.: 50
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Looks very clean, excellent!!!
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
9146C
post Mar 9 2021, 02:53 PM
Post #110

Finished up the modifications to the rocker panels and front/rear valences. When I bought the car, I replaced all 4 panels with GRP replacements...just a little fiberglass work to modify them to match the new flares.

Also finished up my dash panel with the modified Tach (with fuel gauge) and the 911 oil temp/pressure combo gauge. The speedo is now metric (with a working odometer!).

I was debating where to install a switch for the new electric washer pump...found a nice new home (with a pre-drilled hole behind the dash face material) for that switch to the left of the lighter.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
9146C
post Mar 13 2021, 01:41 PM
Post #111

Today feels like another milestone day!

Engine/transaxle re-installed.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Mar 13 2021, 04:27 PM
Post #112

Michael

Oh man....sleeping is difficult when you get that close. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
9146C
post Mar 13 2021, 07:45 PM
Post #113

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Mar 13 2021, 04:27 PM) *

Oh man....sleeping is difficult when you get that close. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Thank you Michael!

It is getting close!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
9146C
post Mar 17 2021, 04:46 PM
Post #114

Just a couple pictures today...a before, and current...just to remind myself of the progress...

Everything under the car is complete...just need to finish installing new fuel lines in the engine bay and that will be a wrap as well.

Down to a handful of jobs now.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
raynekat
post Mar 17 2021, 05:33 PM
Post #115

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,263
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Love the look of those flares there man....
This will be a very nice looking car when finished.
+Quote Post
9146C
post Mar 17 2021, 05:43 PM
Post #116

QUOTE(raynekat @ Mar 17 2021, 05:33 PM) *

Love the look of those flares there man....
This will be a very nice looking car when finished.

Thank you!

The rear suspension is set-up for an approximately 1-1/4" lower ride height (from before)...now sitting closer to the height I set the camber to. I really like the look of the new rear stance.
+Quote Post
9146C
post Mar 23 2021, 04:48 PM
Post #117

The last week has been a "mad dash" to get things wrapped up with today being the 49th Anniversary of this car rolling off the Production Line. (Missed my self-imposed completion date.)

Interior is finished up...installed a Pioneer narrow amp/subwoofer behind the passenger seat (2-3/4" height/thickness)...hoping that works out.

Also installed my replacement door jam VIN tag from Carbone. I looked at lots of door jam photos...seems the VIN tags are all installed slightly different in terms of position. My original VIN tag had been painted over by a PO...I never bothered to take a picture.

Spent the last three days chasing electrical gremlins...everything is now working with the exception of the fog lights (they've never worked in the time I've owned the car...popping fuses so there must be a ground in the wiring forward), the indicator light for the parking brake and now my fuel sender no longer works (replacement on order). Everything else is now working as it should.

My original (low pressure) fuel pump that I installed was faulty...was leaking from the housing. My replacement pump was delivered yesterday afternoon. Went to install it and found a poor ground on the connection wire...should be a minor fix.

The car turns over no problem and the oil pressure gauge looks to be working just from cranking it over.

When I pressurized the fuel system, the carbs were leaking badly at the banjo fittings (where I replaced the fuel lines)...unfortunately, I used up my last set of fiber gaskets...re-ordered new spares today.

Time to give the car her first bath (she's covered in pollen!) and a coat of wax.

Now hoping to have the car running/on the road in 2-3 days once the carb fuel feed leaks are repaired. (Probably just as well with the monsoons this week in Louisiana!)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
9146C
post Mar 31 2021, 03:29 PM
Post #118

Three days of chasing an issue with the electronic ignition (no spark)...finally got her started today after a 16 month "nap".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GctuD74k3EI

Just a couple of minor jobs to wrap up...than I can take her out for a shake-down cruise.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Mar 31 2021, 05:02 PM
Post #119

Michael

Nice. Sounds good. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Mar 31 2021, 05:17 PM
Post #120

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Woo Hoo! Inspiring for me. My 914-6 conversion needs so much body work. Taking it apart now for body and paint.
+Quote Post

8 Pages V « < 4 5 6 7 8 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th May 2024 - 03:32 PM