Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V « < 4 5 6  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ugly Duckling to a Blue Bird, Roller into a 6 Conversion
Sway Bar
post Oct 19 2020, 01:32 PM
Post #101

Group: Members
Member No.: 23,743
Region Association: None

So the first start up was the other day and of course I couldn't leave good enough alone. I have no idea what muffler I have. Its not a Dansk to me since it's way too light and it has no other markings (Bicshoff or Leistritz??). Anyway, it's good but I miss a little snarl. I love the very early M&K I have on my 911 but this is what I have on hand so....

Attached Image
Attached Image

In the nature of reuse and recycle I used left over shock covers and then made some caps from some left over materials. Some through pins finished the look and functionality.

Attached Image
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mb911
post Oct 19 2020, 04:58 PM
Post #102

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Very nice.. I like the clips you used.. A good idea. How old of an m&k do you have ? Just wondering if it was one of mine when I owned the company
+Quote Post
Gint
post Oct 19 2020, 07:10 PM
Post #103

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(Sway Bar @ Oct 19 2020, 12:09 PM) *
IT STARTS!!...so after 8 years of sitting in a box I finally tried to start this motor. Of course I had my troubles. I had a small leak from a fitting at the front tank (arrgghh) and couldn't get proper ignition until I move the distributor over a tooth (thank goodness for the access panel)

Still a lot of tuning to do.

That's great! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
Sway Bar
post Oct 19 2020, 07:43 PM
Post #104

QUOTE(mb911 @ Oct 19 2020, 03:58 PM) *

Very nice.. I like the clips you used.. A good idea. How old of an m&k do you have ? Just wondering if it was one of mine when I owned the company

It could be?....I got it used already about 10 years ago. Its awesome! Just loud enough but still civil but really wakes up above 4K. It went from my 2.4LMFI to my 3.0L MFI. To this day I get compliments on the sound regardless of what other Pcars are around.

Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
mb911
post Oct 19 2020, 07:46 PM
Post #105

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Yup one of my Gen 2s remember making those in my garage at 2 in the morning.. Glad to see its still around.
+Quote Post
Sway Bar
post Oct 19 2020, 07:56 PM
Post #106

So speaking of sound.... here is my home grown rally exhaust.

Carbs still need to be tuned. Running super rich I think one bank and lean on one intake. Still burning off oil that I squirted into each cylinder 8 years ago plus who knows what was left in that muffler (at least no mice nests). The missus wasn't so happy when she opened the garage door (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) After about 20min things cleared up nice.

So, here is normal mode...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJRX_0RwJlY

Now with the single capped off (I think real rally mode should have all open?)...to me it sounds like I gained a liter of displacement (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) Phone Mics don't do it justice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNCBnO7QsQ8

+Quote Post
Sway Bar
post Oct 22 2020, 03:40 PM
Post #107

Well progress halted for a bit. When I got the 'bag' of undercarriage parts that started this whole process it had 911 axles, cv's, and cv adapters. I even had an additional set of 911 axels/cv's. I was all set...wrong!!

Attached Image

I never really looked too closely and measured anything. I did know that the 914 trans output shafts were too small so I managed to source some coarse spline 911 ones. So, got ready to put everything together and the adapter doesn't fit?? 9mm too small in diameter. I guess whoever started this had, I believe the 2 year only, 915 100mm output flanges. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

At this point forget trying for a work around or other adapters and I just did it the quick and simple way (so more money). Now I'm really ready for bigger horse power. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (I still need some half moons- 2 sets of axles but only a half set of washers??)

Attached Image
Attached Image

Finished the shift head and hoped for a fairly decent shift pattern.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Sway Bar
post Oct 23 2020, 10:05 AM
Post #108

IT MOVES! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

So after who knows how many years (it was a roller after all) I of course wanted to see if it will move and if I remember that shifter feeling from 25 years ago....yup, like I remembered; a wooden spoon in a pot of porridge (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I did a quick run around the neighborhood since it's not licensed. I have to get it inspected next spring in order to do so. My timing is off but now I have all winter to figure out the last items:

-hand brake cable (the little interior one)- source, install and test
-Driver Door mirror (source and install)
-CV half moons (source and install)
-Test Wiper fluid reservoir and pump (test)
-figure out oil temp and oil pressure gauge (I have 911 gauge but so far no signal)
-Finish wheels and need new rubber
-install front belly pan cover
-Maybe find and install some euro tail lenses...I think they would look good against the blue

I think that's it. Would love to do some more driving but I now have this coming down

Attached Image

So for those that have to hibernate for this early winter stay safe and warm and for those of you that live in more hospitable winter environments, get out there and work on your projects or those that are done, get out driving. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Cheers

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post

6 Pages V « < 4 5 6
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th May 2024 - 09:44 PM