Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Ugly Duckling to a Blue Bird, Roller into a 6 Conversion
Sway Bar
post Dec 18 2019, 05:50 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 23,743
Region Association: None

Greetings...long time lurker first time poster.

After staying in the shadows for a little while watching and learning I figure I'd finally take the plunge and say hello and show progress of my latest undertaking.

I've spend the last many years over on the 'Bird' in regards to my old 911 and other projects but it was time to try something slightly different and get back into a 914. I say get back since I had one as a young university man and was my version of a low brow Risky Business (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sunglasses.gif)

I wasn't necessarily looking for a 914 but a few things fell into place that made me finally take the plunge 1) There was what seemed a really decent roller nearby 2) I had a friend of friend offer me the spoils of a left over failed conversion attempt 3) I have the 2.4L from my 911 sitting in a box doing me no good

And finally I'm also and avid DIYer. I'm no pro by any means. I drive a desk for work, but I grew up always trying to build and do things on our own so it does come a little naturally and with the complete satisfaction of my 911 journey why not another. I'm also in Canada so when winter hits I need to figure out something else to do besides watch hockey and drink beer (not that there is anything wrong with that) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

Anyway, this is a great forum, love the resources, banter, etc, and figured I'd share another car/build.

So, of course we all love pictures...this is what I started with. Kinda of a barn/garage find. 1972, no motor/trans, rough interior, some sort of re-spray, prior right fender accident. Key point was that besides the hell hole I couldn't find too many problem areas at first glance.

So, comment away, constructive criticism is always welcome and I'm sure to reach out with a bunch of questions since I haven't figured out a few items yet for the conversion process.

Cheers,
Marlon

Attached Image

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
6 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(60 - 79)
Sway Bar
post Jan 27 2020, 04:28 PM
Post #61

QUOTE(mbseto @ Jan 27 2020, 01:52 PM) *

Was going to say welcome to 914world, but it looks like you'll be done here shortly!

Haa, well not that easy...this is all the big stuff and looks the most impressive. I started a list of all the little items I still need, especially for the conversion portion that I've never done and it's a little daunting.

I figure a month or two and I'll be done the 'easy' stuff (it's all relative) then I'll be asking the real questions.
+Quote Post
mbseto
post Jan 28 2020, 01:42 PM
Post #62

Member No.: 17,743
Region Association: North East States

It's looking great!
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jan 28 2020, 03:12 PM
Post #63

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

Sway bar I invite you to join the FB Porsche 914 Canada group. Quite a few BC and Alberta members.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/29383151434.../?ref=bookmarks
+Quote Post
Sway Bar
post Jan 31 2020, 08:56 PM
Post #64

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 28 2020, 01:12 PM) *

Sway bar I invite you to join the FB Porsche 914 Canada group. Quite a few BC and Alberta members.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/29383151434.../?ref=bookmarks

Thanks for the invite...maybe finally a reason to join FB? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)
+Quote Post
Sway Bar
post Jan 31 2020, 09:08 PM
Post #65

Started some of the interior fit and finish. Dash was next up. Decided to keep the basket weave but wanted a radio delete so used a good portion from the existing door cards to refinish the front; new vinyl on top.

Attached Image
Attached Image

I had a friend give me what I believe is a 914-6 fuel tank gauge and I thought that would look good in the GT racing position. Not quite sure if I am happy with just the simple direct on the dash install. I may have to experiment with it partially behind the weave with only the gauge stock sticking through.

Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Sway Bar
post Feb 10 2020, 12:57 PM
Post #66

Winter came back with a vengeance so kinda cold in the garage to get much done; hit -29C/-20F. Brrrrr.

Could have been worse like the east coast of Canada which got 12-15 foot snow drifts.

Did manage to do a few simple things.
Attached Image
Attached Image

Buttoned up the oil cooler and installed front lines.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Sway Bar
post Apr 17 2020, 11:48 AM
Post #67

Been a while since I added at least some sort progress pic if any are interested. Life does sometime get in the way of these projects and they do become secondary, especially in these new unique times, but I still managed to get time in here and there.

Still making up things on the fly...decided to go with just the braided oil lines along the rocker for the oil cooler. I gather if eventually I wanted steel lines I could retro fit but this seems to do the trick. One thing this project has done is made my welding and fabrication skill improve. Needed some sort of covers and figure I could make something up. Rather pleased on how they turned out.

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Sway Bar
post Apr 17 2020, 11:55 AM
Post #68

I think some sort of fiber glass cover may have been on the real GT's. Didn't really want any weather, rocks, or small critters flying into the inner rockers so this cover turned out pretty good. Eventually when I mix up some paint for touch ups I'll give this a once over.

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
ndfrigi
post Apr 17 2020, 12:06 PM
Post #69

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,474
Region Association: Southern California

wow less than 4 mos. and it already looks amazing! Surely by summer and if this crisis is done, that beautiful car will be nice to drive! Congratulations!
+Quote Post
Sway Bar
post Apr 17 2020, 12:16 PM
Post #70

Used a couple of mounts to keep the lines in order and so they won't sag too much since they are not rigid lines. Now I just have to sort out what I need to do at the rear end. I probably just end up using a mocal thermostat since i have one on hand.

Attached Image

In the mean time this cocoon came and eventually turned into this butterfly (sorry for the cheese)
I knew his reputation proceeded him but Ben's craftsmanship is top notch. Such a great piece to hide away in the fender (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Apr 17 2020, 12:29 PM
Post #71

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

Great progress and work. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Sway Bar
post Apr 17 2020, 12:58 PM
Post #72

So, I drilled a big hole in the hood and need to put in the filler. The kits are great but man at my exchange rate it's a lot of cheddar to spend for just a fuel filler. I did my own home built filler and dog bowl ( I actually used a real dog bowl) on my 911 so I figure I could do the same on the teener. It's actually a lot simpler. I made a bolt on flange to bolt through the existing splash guard and then onto the tank. So, just an additional gasket is required in between.

Attached Image
Attached Image

The filler tube is left over from my last project and happens to be underground conduit that I found at a scrap yard and everything lines up great. I did buy the fuel cap and bung since those are the nice and shinny pieces. The bung needed to be welded on with a slight degree change in order to have the cap line up all properly and centered.

Attached Image
Attached Image

Welds are no where as nice as Ben's work or many others but does the job and I only found one pin hole once I was done.

Finally, bolted in and the rubber flange again is left over rubber from the previous build and happens to be some side or rear window rubber from a wrecked Ford Explorer. It's large enough to actually cushion and seal against the hood using the existing spill guard and has the right 'pinch seam?' to go around. To some it may be a bit ghetto, but I think it looks the part, does the job, and when the hood is down I think it looks good.

Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Sway Bar
post Apr 22 2020, 02:47 PM
Post #73

Got a few other little items out of the way. Since this was a roller with a few loose parts, I found out I had 2 driver side seats mounts/tilts. I couldn't find one locally so decided to save a few bucks and kill 2 hours and converted one to a passenger side.

Attached Image
Attached Image

Continuing the saving money idea I made my own version of simple RS style door cards...made friends with a little lady at the fabric store and she used her 'membership' for a big discount on the vinyl. All in, the door cards cost about $45.00 in materials. That's like $12.95 USD (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Sway Bar
post Apr 22 2020, 03:19 PM
Post #74

Decided to do something that shows big quick results to keep the steam going. I had ordered the lightweight carpet kit and since hopefully I'm done making too much dust I wanted to see some instant results.

Attached Image

Carpeted the oil line cover I made and then made a custom cut foot board to fit accordingly.

Attached Image

I over carpeted a few areas since I'm not putting in speakers or the covers/grills. Trying to leave a little of that bare racer feeling.

Attached Image
Attached Image

List of to do's is getting shorter but still oh so long.
+Quote Post
Big Len
post Apr 22 2020, 05:49 PM
Post #75

Member No.: 16,126
Region Association: Southwest Region

Your list of "to do's" looks very well done.
+Quote Post
Sway Bar
post Apr 24 2020, 12:08 PM
Post #76

QUOTE(Big Len @ Apr 22 2020, 04:49 PM) *

Your list of "to do's" looks very well done.

Appreciate it...so far so good.

Now I'm getting into the final third of it. My helper decided to give me a hand with what's been under my work bench for the last 4 years.

Attached Image
Attached Image

This is what is left of of my 2.4L MFI motor.

Attached Image

I robbed the top end and induction to build a 3.0L MFI a few years ago. That motor is a riot and sounds awesome. For fun here it is finished before installation. It's the first motor I had ever built. The idea was to make it look exactly like the 2.4. One has to know what to look for or very closely to notice. Learned a lot about MFI and it's tuning.

Attached Image
Attached Image

I almost have enough MFI components to go that route again, but I think for simplicity and to stay 'close' to the original idea I'll probably use Carbs. Way easier and faster results for sure.

+Quote Post
FourBlades
post Apr 25 2020, 08:36 AM
Post #77

From Wreck to Rockin

Member No.: 8,414
Region Association: South East States

This is such an amazing build! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)

You have gotten so much done in a relatively short time.

Lots of cool custom touches.

John
+Quote Post
Sway Bar
post Oct 7 2020, 03:22 PM
Post #78

Well I guess after a summer of 'the world changes' I can post a few updates. I spent more time on other cars, projects, driving or hiding from the general public etc. than working on the Blue Bird

Now that fall has officially hit and winter will be here the car is basically done (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) ..... kinda got my timing wrong.

I did have to step away for a bit. It seemed like it was fighting me all the way with the last items on my list. Some of that was my fault as I engineered on the fly; who would have thought you need to install the bottom oil line before installing the oil tank, can't use Ben's great pressure side oil line with a PMS mount, why can't I use the 914 seat mounts for my custom seats, and why is the 914-6 specific PMS throttle cable 1.5 inches to long? just to name a few.

Anyway, everything is solvable with time (and money, which I was trying to limit to stay reasonably close to my original budget)

So, for those that may be interested in some pic's:

Took my 2.4 long block and scrounged some top item items to make it a running motor. I haven't driven it an inch yet and I'm thinking a 2.7L since it's a direct bolt in but lets get this done first.

Attached Image
Attached Image

Lego for adults...assembled some carbs

Attached Image
Attached Image

Stuck the motor and transmission together. I think carbs always looked so cool, regardless of how terrible they are to tune, run, keep running well and so forth...

Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Sway Bar
post Oct 7 2020, 03:32 PM
Post #79

Couple of last motor compartment prep items before I installed the motor. I used a mocal thermostat so made a mount and tried to keep the lines tidy. Also since I had no relay panel I would have to figure out wiring etc. Went with a solid state external voltage regulator that I mounted in a up and out of the way area...used and existing bolt hole even (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

And since I had headers, plugged the mouse holes and finished off some fuel lines. Now I was ready to install the motor.

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Gint
post Oct 7 2020, 04:21 PM
Post #80

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(Sway Bar @ Oct 7 2020, 02:22 PM) *
I did have to step away for a bit.

I totally get that.

That looks seriously nice man.
+Quote Post

6 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 08:15 AM