Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Turn Signal Switch Comparison, NOS SWF vs. Cip1
FlacaProductions
post Dec 27 2019, 01:05 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,628
Region Association: Southern California

Greetings,

The holidays have finally died down and I can get to posting pictures of these two switches.

I hope this is the easiest way to do this - multiple pictures involved - so I've put them in a google page.

The takeaways for me - the "NOS SWF" was $100 via an ad on The Samba and is noticeably different than the Cip1 ($33.99) offering but I'm still wondering if it is an SWF unit. The markings on the back of the lever do not indicate SWF and I don't see SWF anywhere on/in the unit. Nonetheless, it does see beefier and with a better finish than the Cip1 and maybe more importantly, has larger wiring.

The one feature of the Cip1 switch is that the white plastic tabs that hold the "W" spring have more a "cap" on them that may help is preventing the breakage that seems to be a weak point of these switches.

Curious what others think but I'm probably going to go with the "SWF" simply for the wiring and keep the Cip1 for a backup - even though my dad always told me to try the cheap fix first.....unfortunately, I won't be able to try ANY fix until early February when I'm back in the same place as the 914...sigh. (Along with installing the North Hollywood Speedometer-refurbished gauges and Dallas Custom Steering Wheel wheel....brutal wait!)

Here's a link to the pics - description of what's what is in the "info" tab of each pic but they're easy to differentiate as the SWF has only black and brown wiring - the Cip1 has multi-colored.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/aRMYqsJJ2hLjcgUb6
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Dec 27 2019, 02:40 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

The best reproduction out there for me is the Meyle.Thinking the wire colors are correct and the switch is under $30. CIP1 looks really cheap. CSP has a quality switch, made in Europe. I have not seen one to compare. Usually sells for around $80.
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Dec 27 2019, 04:48 PM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418
Region Association: None

buy the swf by all means. the cip repro is for a 75 76 914 and 924 and cheaply made. Swf has been discontinued so we beggars cannot be choosers, but since you found on you can! buy it!!! no substitute for nos parts
+Quote Post
FlacaProductions
post Dec 27 2019, 07:00 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 21,628
Region Association: Southern California

I bought em both, George but wondering what makes the Cip1 unit specific to 75-76? The pins seem to be the same...
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Dec 27 2019, 08:42 PM
Post #5

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

Ooops
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th May 2024 - 12:48 AM