Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My V8 resurrection is taking MUCH longer than..., ...I planned but what else is new?
neo914-6
post Apr 2 2006, 01:12 AM
Post #61

neo life

Group: Members
Member No.: 159

The fab'd transmission mount ala Brad N Crew won't work with the Jaide bracket since it's not positioned as far back. I was hoping another bolt hole could be drilled further back but it is about where the rear vertical face is. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
neo914-6
post Apr 2 2006, 01:13 AM
Post #62

neo life

Looks like I will need to shorten this...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
neo914-6
post Apr 2 2006, 01:15 AM
Post #63

neo life

Or buy a Renegade adapters and sport trans mount (don't have them), anyone have spares???

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Apr 2 2006, 04:53 AM
Post #64

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

You could just make that piece... solid aluminum. drill two holes... be done.

Steel would work as well obviously..
+Quote Post
turbo914v8
post Apr 2 2006, 10:11 AM
Post #65

Member No.: 952

I have a set of the Renegade adapters PM me if you’re interested.
+Quote Post
neo914-6
post Apr 14 2006, 01:45 AM
Post #66

neo life

I (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) clearance for the tall valve covers (this wasn't necessary for the 283) but still have the hose pinched between the firewall and back of the head. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) Got some good advise from the Bird Board about loosening the drivetrain mounts and pushing it back. Another is to lower the drivetrain since there's more clearance. Reclocking the water pump is not gonna happen or help (I believe) or lengthening the hose to route over the head...

I will (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) more if need be.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
neo914-6
post Apr 14 2006, 01:48 AM
Post #67

neo life

Forgot to mention, Remil (sj914) came by with some transmission brackets. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) A few trips to OSH for Grade 8 bolts and they fit perfectly. Now to test the shifter bar I borrowed from Mark (Mar7ck)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
neo914-6
post Apr 14 2006, 01:51 AM
Post #68

neo life

Found a nice small PSI gauge, mounted the regulator...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
sj914
post Apr 14 2006, 01:53 AM
Post #69

Member No.: 1,053

Glad they worked for you.
+Quote Post
neo914-6
post Jul 3 2006, 09:34 PM
Post #70

neo life

Borlas Baby!

I am soooo close to fire up. BBQ's are killing me... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drunk.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
neo914-6
post Jul 20 2006, 01:32 AM
Post #71

neo life

A few issues to resolve before it can be driven but it fires up!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) I probably woke up half the neighborhood. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) I left a message with Harry firing it up, he's been calling me almost every day for updates.

Just over a year ago my friend John helped me clear the garage to begin this resurrection. New Renegade kit, new (to me) full Edelbrock 400hp 350, and alot of relearning what I had basically done over 20 years ago with the Jaide kit and 283. The Renegade kit should have only take me a few weekends to bolt in, yeah right! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif) John held the fire extinguisher and witnessed the event. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Dr. Roger
post Jul 20 2006, 02:13 AM
Post #72

A bat out of hell.

Member No.: 3,533

geez, i was just getting ready to crash and i noticed this guy, who's been working on his V8 914 for 20 years FINALLY got his running.

LOL

Right on Felix!!!!

remember to tighten your spark plugs.... tonight i just found 3 that were loose in mine.... LOL
+Quote Post
neo914-6
post Jul 20 2006, 02:51 AM
Post #73

neo life

QUOTE(Dr. Roger @ Jul 20 2006, 01:13 AM) *

geez, i was just getting ready to crash and i noticed this guy, who's been working on his V8 914 for 20 years FINALLY got his running.

LOL

Right on Felix!!!!

remember to tighten your spark plugs.... tonight i just found 3 that were loose in mine.... LOL

Dude, it ran for all of it's life it would just overheat. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) In 2003, Brad's crew fixed that by installing a RH radiator amongst other things. I drove it to WCC04 and xcross (except the run to Laguna when a hose blew) and began the resurrection last year.

I'll be happy to get garage space for neo914... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
neo914-6
post Jul 29 2006, 10:56 PM
Post #74

neo life

RESURRECTION!!!!!

The beast has awaken with 400hp...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
neo914-6
post Jul 29 2006, 10:59 PM
Post #75

neo life

Shifter needs adjusting (modifying) and engine needs tuning but it's nice to have it off the jackstands and running on it's own power...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
nocones
post Jul 29 2006, 11:15 PM
Post #76

Sportscar lunatic

Member No.: 2,220

Sweet!!!
Congratulations Felix.
Now if I could only put mine back on the road, I might see you at one of those conversion meets.

+Quote Post
jonwatts
post Jul 30 2006, 12:22 AM
Post #77

no rules, just wrong

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 141

Awesome! Great to see (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

Where's the "For Sale" sign?

QUOTE(neo914-6 @ Jul 29 2006, 09:59 PM) *

Shifter needs adjusting (modifying) and engine needs tuning but it's nice to have it off the jackstands and running on it's own power...

+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jul 30 2006, 02:35 AM
Post #78

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

Awesome!!!

Get it adjusted!!!!

Next meets at my house (hehe)
+Quote Post
plymouth37
post Jul 30 2006, 11:06 AM
Post #79

Member No.: 4,138
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

[/quote]
HUH???

I appologise in advance for the impending highjack of your thread, but miss information, and blatant lies should not be given the oportunity to propigate (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

- The "Plastic" fittings were designed by a Major Automotive Manufactur, they are made of the same material as the intake manifold (which has coolant runnning through it) on the Chevy LS1. The threads on yours stripped because they are pipe threads (tapered) and you are not smart enough to stop torquing on the fitting when it's tight. I have personally torqued a hose clamp onto the fittings while hot from boiling water, and witnessed no observable defflection.
Nothing wrong w/ using brass fittings, but be sure they aren't necked down inside, which will kill the flow. And dont over tighten them, or you will be bitching about the aluminum mounts not being strong enough (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

- All914.com does not exist. Brad is a fairly active member of this board. Great guy, no argument. He is THE guy to talk to for set-up, suspension stuff etc. Last i heard, he is not in the conversion buisness however. It's kinda like asking your dentist to take a look at your broken hand... Better than most, but he will refer you to an expert.

- Bull (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif) The RH mount has over twice the torsional ridgity of the factory mount. If you want to make a heavier one... more power to you, but dont try to blow smoke over it.

- The RH mount works just fine w/ the RH Water pump inlet, the problems arise when people try to use their own motor mount bar. The rotating inlet is a good solution.

- There is a guarantee behind the "backyard nonsense" It is Guaranteed to work. According to your friend with no real world experiance, you should also remove the thermostat, as the water will be flowing faster, but it is well documented that Chevy small blocks overheat without a thermostat (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) The Chevy Motor must have never met your friend (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chairfall.gif)

In conclusion, if you have a problem w/ Scott, that's fine, just dont try to make up defficancies with his product to cover up your own agenda (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
[/quote]
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) I have installed dozens of these kits and never had any of the problems mentioned above. P.S. if you can't get that hose to make a corner why don't you just install an aluminum elbow to make the turn?
+Quote Post
neo914-6
post Jul 30 2006, 12:03 PM
Post #80

neo life

QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Jul 30 2006, 10:06 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) I have installed dozens of these kits and never had any of the problems mentioned above. P.S. if you can't get that hose to make a corner why don't you just install an aluminum elbow to make the turn?

Dana,

That was BJ's response to Terry who has a 500hp track 914, not your typical conversion or builder. I appreciate your experience but suspect most conversions are done maybe once or twice in a lifetime by people of various mechanical abilities. I replaced my old Jaide kit with RH because I believe (still) that it is currently the best on the market. I emailed and phoned Scott and Mike but there are limits to that form of communication. I still believe better visual documenation is needed...

The w/p hose was solved, I replaced the Jaide with a RH engine bar to use the RH outlet and elbow. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

The belt interference on top of the shifter coupling and barely clearing the top of the engine bar is still a problem. Some suggest it's the '70 chassis shift location at the firewall. I plan to extend the bar inside the tunned and use a stock bar from the firewall to the transaxle. Any suggestions? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

+Quote Post

5 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 06:35 PM