Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Right foot dragging brake pedal on console cars?, Here's a relatively simple fix...
oakdalecurtis
post Jan 16 2020, 12:17 PM
Post #1

Oakdalecurtis

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,802
Region Association: Central California

I posted this reply in another thread about speakers, so I thought I might offer this fix in it's own thread. Mark commented: "(the) reason I don't care for the console is because anything but slippers I catch my right foot between the console and brake pedal."
I hear this from a lot of 914 owners if they have big feet. Here's a relatively easy fix, and really improves the problem.

Hey Mark, I have size 13 shoes and I too would drag my brake pedal with my right foot. I finally hacksawed the brake pedal off right at the end of the arm, (did it in the car without removing pedal box). Then I welded a short piece of steel 1/4 inch flat stock with 2 predrilled holes to the back of the pedal, offset to the right side of the pedal, as you look at it from the front. Then I welded a small steel gusset between the extension arm and the pedal to add support from pedal pressure being now on one side on the extension arm. Finally I drilled 2 matching holes in the brake pedal arm aligned with the extension holes and bolted it all together on the left side of the brake arm. I have a included a crude diagram below to show the simplicity of the process. It took me about 30 minutes to do, all "in car", and was not as hard as I made it sound. Now my brake pedal has about a half inch clear on the side of my big shoes, and makes a real pleasurable difference driving the car.

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
TargaToy
post Jan 16 2020, 12:51 PM
Post #2

-NONSOLIS RADIOS SEDIOUIS FULMINA MITTO-

Member No.: 11,509
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

The idea makes sense but the diagram is drawn as if the pedals pivot above the driver's feet.

Does this interfere at all with the spacing to your clutch pedal/clutch foot?
+Quote Post
oakdalecurtis
post Jan 16 2020, 01:45 PM
Post #3

Oakdalecurtis

Member No.: 18,802
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(TargaToy @ Jan 16 2020, 10:51 AM) *

The idea makes sense but the diagram is drawn as if the pedals pivot above the driver's feet.

Does this interfere at all with the spacing to your clutch pedal/clutch foot?

Sorry for the crude drawings. Here’s a couple of pictures that should address your questions...

Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Ansbacher
post Jan 16 2020, 02:36 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 17,589

A similar problem to what the OP describes is even worse in a car that has the DPD A/C system, where the A/C blower motor is right next to the accelerator pedal. My big foot (size 13 also) would jam itself in there and terrifyingly hold down the accelerator at the most inopportune times. Hence, one of the reasons why I gutted the system. It was non-functional anyway.

Ansbacher
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jan 16 2020, 02:51 PM
Post #5

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

I had this problem with my Karmann Ghia but instead of cutting the pedal I heated it cherry red then bent a 1" offset. Takes about 5 minutes. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
dwillouby
post Jan 16 2020, 02:56 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 29
Region Association: None

Thought about that when mocking up my drive by wire pedal for the LS install.

Glad someone tried before me. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
David
+Quote Post
SO.O.C914er
post Jan 16 2020, 02:58 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 20,199
Region Association: Southern California

I simply removed the rubber boots which gave me more room. Also I only drive the 914 in tennis shoes.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 02:06 AM