Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Right foot dragging brake pedal on console cars?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
oakdalecurtis
I posted this reply in another thread about speakers, so I thought I might offer this fix in it's own thread. Mark commented: "(the) reason I don't care for the console is because anything but slippers I catch my right foot between the console and brake pedal."
I hear this from a lot of 914 owners if they have big feet. Here's a relatively easy fix, and really improves the problem.

Hey Mark, I have size 13 shoes and I too would drag my brake pedal with my right foot. I finally hacksawed the brake pedal off right at the end of the arm, (did it in the car without removing pedal box). Then I welded a short piece of steel 1/4 inch flat stock with 2 predrilled holes to the back of the pedal, offset to the right side of the pedal, as you look at it from the front. Then I welded a small steel gusset between the extension arm and the pedal to add support from pedal pressure being now on one side on the extension arm. Finally I drilled 2 matching holes in the brake pedal arm aligned with the extension holes and bolted it all together on the left side of the brake arm. I have a included a crude diagram below to show the simplicity of the process. It took me about 30 minutes to do, all "in car", and was not as hard as I made it sound. Now my brake pedal has about a half inch clear on the side of my big shoes, and makes a real pleasurable difference driving the car.

Click to view attachment
TargaToy
The idea makes sense but the diagram is drawn as if the pedals pivot above the driver's feet.

Does this interfere at all with the spacing to your clutch pedal/clutch foot?
oakdalecurtis
QUOTE(TargaToy @ Jan 16 2020, 10:51 AM) *

The idea makes sense but the diagram is drawn as if the pedals pivot above the driver's feet.

Does this interfere at all with the spacing to your clutch pedal/clutch foot?

Sorry for the crude drawings. Here’s a couple of pictures that should address your questions...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Ansbacher
A similar problem to what the OP describes is even worse in a car that has the DPD A/C system, where the A/C blower motor is right next to the accelerator pedal. My big foot (size 13 also) would jam itself in there and terrifyingly hold down the accelerator at the most inopportune times. Hence, one of the reasons why I gutted the system. It was non-functional anyway.

Ansbacher
76-914
I had this problem with my Karmann Ghia but instead of cutting the pedal I heated it cherry red then bent a 1" offset. Takes about 5 minutes. beerchug.gif
dwillouby
Thought about that when mocking up my drive by wire pedal for the LS install.

Glad someone tried before me. smile.gif
David
SO.O.C914er
I simply removed the rubber boots which gave me more room. Also I only drive the 914 in tennis shoes.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.