Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 1 day to Werks Reunion/Amelia
stevegm
post Feb 12 2020, 08:13 AM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,633
Region Association: South East States

Confession: Not much progress on the 914 in the past 12 days. We installed a bunch of new equipment in our company’s shop and that has taken a lot of time to get set up. Now it is only 23 days to Amelia. This should be interesting.

I did get the dual carbs/linkage out, started laying out rubber, etc., and ordered the butyl for the windshield and rear window. I’m hoping to make monumental progress this weekend. We will see. I found the 5/16” (8mm) Butyl online last night, and bought the 3M windshield primer at the local Napa.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Feb 12 2020, 08:31 AM
Post #22

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106

QUOTE(stevegm @ Feb 12 2020, 09:13 AM) *

Confession: Not much progress on the 914 in the past 12 days. We installed a bunch of new equipment in our company’s shop and that has taken a lot of time to get set up. Now it is only 23 days to Amelia. This should be interesting.

I did get the dual carbs/linkage out, started laying out rubber, etc., and ordered the butyl for the windshield and rear window. I’m hoping to make monumental progress this weekend. We will see.

good luck, steve! I can come up next Saturday and help you out, this weekend I have a honey do list and I have to get my rear suspension set and get the new tires/wheels on the rear, and ride hight and alignment, then sail panel vinyl installed, if I get all that done this weekend I will be ready to go for ameila, other than intall my new matching duffle bags (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) and clean and polish!!!

Phil

just get the wheels on and the motor running, you can drive it with out windows (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (well for safety you better have that front window in I guess)
+Quote Post
stevegm
post Feb 12 2020, 08:35 AM
Post #23

Advanced Member

I’m trying to find the little clips that hold the windshield in. I know I have some. I assume these are them? And they go in before the windshield?

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
stevegm
post Feb 12 2020, 08:37 AM
Post #24

Advanced Member

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Feb 12 2020, 09:31 AM) *

QUOTE(stevegm @ Feb 12 2020, 09:13 AM) *

I did get the dual carbs/linkage out, started laying out rubber, etc., and ordered the butyl for the windshield and rear window. I’m hoping to make monumental progress this weekend. We will see.

good luck, steve! I can come up next Saturday and help you out, this weekend I have a honey do list and I have to get my rear suspension set and get the new tires/wheels on the rear, and ride hight and alignment, then sail panel vinyl installed, if I get all that done this weekend I will be ready to go for ameila, other than intall my new matching duffle bags (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) and clean and polish!!!

Phil

I’m going to need more than luck. :-)

We got so many orders for bags that they kinda took over a lot of my time the last couple of weeks. Setting up systems for them. Anyway, that is all up and running, and bags are shipping. So back to the 914 a little.
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Feb 12 2020, 08:44 AM
Post #25

Dr. Phil

those are the clips, and you want to put those in before the window, I found out having sapped a few off that its very hard if not impossible to get them in after the window is in place
+Quote Post
BENBRO02
post Feb 12 2020, 09:21 AM
Post #26

Member No.: 18,493
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Be careful with the windshield installation. I pressed on mine to set the butyl seal and crack it. An expensive mistake!
+Quote Post
stevegm
post Feb 12 2020, 09:55 AM
Post #27

Advanced Member

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Feb 12 2020, 09:44 AM) *

those are the clips, and you want to put those in before the window, I found out having sapped a few off that its very hard if not impossible to get them in after the window is in place

Thanks. Maybe a dumb question - which end goes in the hole in the channel on the car? I just want to make sure I get it right before the windshield goes in.

Also, I think you said you have some extra rubber pieces left over. Let me know what you have and I’ll probably take it off your hands.
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Feb 12 2020, 11:32 AM
Post #28

Dr. Phil

QUOTE(stevegm @ Feb 12 2020, 10:55 AM) *

Thanks. Maybe a dumb question - which end goes in the hole in the channel on the car? I just want to make sure I get it right before the windshield goes in.

Also, I think you said you have some extra rubber pieces left over. Let me know what you have and I’ll probably take it off your hands.

the clip will go in with the bevel side up, pin is out, once the clip is pushed into the hole you push the pin in to hold it into place.

I do have lots of bits, some seals and extra e-brake connector covers, targa top holders for trunk, etc etc, seals for tail lights, side marker lenses, wiper blades, too many things to listl I have most stuff in 2 bins I can throw them in my truck when I come up and you can go thru it all and see if you need anything. most stuff is new, either 914rubber or URO, some extra rear targa seals too, license plate light seals,
=------
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Feb 12 2020, 11:36 AM
Post #29

Dr. Phil

one more thing, you might want to test those windshield retaining clips , because they get brittle with age, and the first set they made at 914rubber were hard but brittle and so I had half a dozen of them snap off on me tryin to get them to hold the trim in place. Mark and Matt have since cured that issue and now use a different material so this is not an issue with their newest ones, but I actually reused some of my original ones because I didn't have enough with out ordering new ones and like you I had like 2 weeks to finish my job to get the car to Okteenerfest that year.

just be careful and test one for flexibility . you should be able to bend the pin without snapping in 2 pieces, same with the clip.

Phil
+Quote Post
poorsche914
post Feb 12 2020, 01:53 PM
Post #30

T4 Supercharged

Member No.: 10,419

Had to fly to Vegas for work for a week but was able to get the 2056 installed in the '73 before I left. Still need to connect wiring, clutch and accell and speedo cables, and fuel lines to carbs plus shift linkage and other assorted items.
Attached Image

Should get home just in time for my new Triad exhaust to arrive (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
Attached Image

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
stevegm
post Feb 12 2020, 06:39 PM
Post #31

Advanced Member

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Feb 12 2020, 12:32 PM) *

the clip will go in with the bevel side up, pin is out, once the clip is pushed into the hole you push the pin in to hold it into place.

I do have lots of bits, some seals and extra e-brake connector covers, targa top holders for trunk, etc etc, seals for tail lights, side marker lenses, wiper blades, too many things to listl I have most stuff in 2 bins I can throw them in my truck when I come up and you can go thru it all and see if you need anything. most stuff is new, either 914rubber or URO, some extra rear targa seals too, license plate light seals,
=------

So the end with the red arrow in the picture below goes in the hole in the windshield channel on the car? Then you push the round pin on the opposite side (blue arrow) in to hold it?

And the side that is beveled goes up/out?

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Feb 12 2020, 08:43 PM
Post #32

Dr. Phil

QUOTE(stevegm @ Feb 12 2020, 07:39 PM) *

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Feb 12 2020, 12:32 PM) *

=------

So the end with the red arrow in the picture below goes in the hole in the windshield channel on the car? Then you push the round pin on the opposite side (blue arrow) in to hold it?

And the side that is beveled goes up/out?

Yes
+Quote Post
MJHanna
post Feb 12 2020, 08:54 PM
Post #33

Does this 911 make my butt look big?

Member No.: 185

QUOTE(stevend914 @ Jan 19 2020, 03:03 PM) *

I think I'm set to go - oil leak from Vermont/Okteenerfest trip repaired so fingers crossed. I'll find out the week before - driving to Texas for Hill Country Rallye.
Steve are you going from HCR to Amelia? I'll be at HCR but probably not taking the 914 as I'm failing to talk my wife into taking the 914 vs the Carrera. I'm leaving Dallas on Wednesday to make it to the Werks event on Friday.
Mark
+Quote Post
stevend914
post Feb 12 2020, 10:14 PM
Post #34

Member No.: 20,670
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(MJHanna @ Feb 12 2020, 08:54 PM) *

QUOTE(stevend914 @ Jan 19 2020, 03:03 PM) *

I think I'm set to go - oil leak from Vermont/Okteenerfest trip repaired so fingers crossed. I'll find out the week before - driving to Texas for Hill Country Rallye.
Steve are you going from HCR to Amelia? I'll be at HCR but probably not taking the 914 as I'm failing to talk my wife into taking the 914 vs the Carrera. I'm leaving Dallas on Wednesday to make it to the Werks event on Friday.
Mark

Yes, I plan on getting to Jacksonville by Tuesday night. Hope for a round of golf on Wed, going to Brumos museum on Thurs.
+Quote Post
URY914
post Feb 13 2020, 07:03 PM
Post #35

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222
Region Association: None

If you're staying until Sunday I hope you bought your tickets early. The price is going up.

General Admission Adult: $100 – Purchased October 15 - January 31, 2020
General Admission Adult: $125 – Purchased Feb.1-March 7, 2020
General Admission Adult: $150 – Purchased at the Gate/Day of Event
General Admission Youth 13-17 years old: $60 (12 and under free w/paying adult)
Active Duty Military and Dependents with Active Duty ID: $60 each available on-site only
+Quote Post
bahnzai
post Feb 14 2020, 03:29 PM
Post #36

Member No.: 6,509

Is that price for the Werks Reunion Amelia Island event?
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Feb 14 2020, 03:32 PM
Post #37

Dr. Phil

QUOTE(URY914 @ Feb 13 2020, 08:03 PM) *

If you're staying until Sunday I hope you bought your tickets early. The price is going up.

General Admission Adult: $100 – Purchased October 15 - January 31, 2020
General Admission Adult: $125 – Purchased Feb.1-March 7, 2020
General Admission Adult: $150 – Purchased at the Gate/Day of Event
General Admission Youth 13-17 years old: $60 (12 and under free w/paying adult)
Active Duty Military and Dependents with Active Duty ID: $60 each available on-site only
QUOTE(bahnzai @ Feb 14 2020, 04:29 PM) *

Is that price for the Werks Reunion Amelia Island event?

No that’s for the Concours Sunday
Werks is free, Coral was $60 but is not closed so parking out in road and walk in, but free so is the cars and coffee Saturday for general attendance.
+Quote Post
stevegm
post Feb 14 2020, 08:24 PM
Post #38

Advanced Member

It may be Valentine’s Day, but I’ve brought a piece of my car with me to dinner to keep focused on getting it done. Back to working on getting it ready for Amelia tomorrow. I mainly got parts organized this week. I’m hoping to maa as is a lot of progress this weekend.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
stevegm
post Feb 15 2020, 02:17 PM
Post #39

Advanced Member

Dented the engine lid and cracked the paint, in three places, putting the grill on. Things are going well. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Feb 16 2020, 10:04 AM
Post #40

Dr. Phil

QUOTE(stevegm @ Feb 15 2020, 03:17 PM) *

Dented the engine lid and cracked the paint, in three places, putting the grill on. Things are going well. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Man that sucks, been there done that, but you can fix that later.
Keep on moving forward
+Quote Post

6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th May 2024 - 09:24 AM