Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Door Braces, What is reasonably priced and effective?
Gearup
post Jan 25 2020, 12:36 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,660
Region Association: None

Good afternoon,

My mechanic is going to be doing quite a bit of welding. Long reinforcement kit and steel flares a well. I have heard the recommendation to go SLOW during welding but door braces are a necessity as well. Would appreciate any input on good products etc. that members have used. I have also heard that you can make them as well. Thank you for any and all input.

Brett
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Jan 25 2020, 12:58 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Tangerine Racing sells a great set with adjustable heim joints and brackets.

You said mechanic so I'm going to just say to make sure this guy knows how to do body work and not just mechanical work. You don't want someone learning on your car. It is very easy to get in a rush and weld to fast and then have problems that will take twice the work to fix.

I'd be a bit worried if this guy is depending on you for the advice on welding speed, and/or, sourcing of the braces. To me, that would be a warning flag that he doesn't know what he's doing and this is likely his first rodeo with this sort of work.
+Quote Post
Gearup
post Jan 25 2020, 01:04 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 18,660

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Jan 25 2020, 11:58 AM) *

Tangerine Racing sells a great set with adjustable heim joints and brackets.

You said mechanic so I'm going to just say to make sure this guy knows how to do body work and not just mechanical work. You don't want someone learning on your car. It is very easy to get in a rush and weld to fast and then have problems that will take twice the work to fix.

I'd be a bit worried if this guy is depending on you for the advice on welding speed, and/or, sourcing of the braces. To me, that would be a warning flag that he doesn't know what he's doing and this is likely his first rodeo with this sort of work.

Thanks for the response. He has mentioned about speed and temp in the past. He is an accomplished welder and friend. I’m just looking for sources. He stated he could make some fairly easily. I’m just sourcing and inquiring on my own to help the project because we have a LOT to do. He did say if you welded correctly (speed/temp control) you might not need braces but we could as a backup. Thanks again
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Jan 25 2020, 01:25 PM
Post #4

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Right on! Thanks for working to save another 914!
+Quote Post
Costa05
post Jan 25 2020, 04:11 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 20,535
Region Association: Southwest Region

Made these from 1/2" pipe. Allthread, 1/4" flat bar stock. I am sure there are lots of other ways to make them. Each side is different. Maybe $25 in material.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jan 25 2020, 07:31 PM
Post #6

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

When I did my first one, I set it on a ( cart path the donuts ) . Autocorrected have to leave it. set it on a cart, on the donuts, and keep the doors on. I used a porta-power and get the gaps set where I wanted them, and checked it all the time.

When I put it up on a rotisserie I used Tangerine Door braces, Chris also makes a kit to allow you to use the doors attached.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th May 2024 - 07:55 AM