Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Door Braces
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gearup
Good afternoon,

My mechanic is going to be doing quite a bit of welding. Long reinforcement kit and steel flares a well. I have heard the recommendation to go SLOW during welding but door braces are a necessity as well. Would appreciate any input on good products etc. that members have used. I have also heard that you can make them as well. Thank you for any and all input.

Brett
Superhawk996
Tangerine Racing sells a great set with adjustable heim joints and brackets.

You said mechanic so I'm going to just say to make sure this guy knows how to do body work and not just mechanical work. You don't want someone learning on your car. It is very easy to get in a rush and weld to fast and then have problems that will take twice the work to fix.

I'd be a bit worried if this guy is depending on you for the advice on welding speed, and/or, sourcing of the braces. To me, that would be a warning flag that he doesn't know what he's doing and this is likely his first rodeo with this sort of work.
Gearup
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Jan 25 2020, 11:58 AM) *

Tangerine Racing sells a great set with adjustable heim joints and brackets.

You said mechanic so I'm going to just say to make sure this guy knows how to do body work and not just mechanical work. You don't want someone learning on your car. It is very easy to get in a rush and weld to fast and then have problems that will take twice the work to fix.

I'd be a bit worried if this guy is depending on you for the advice on welding speed, and/or, sourcing of the braces. To me, that would be a warning flag that he doesn't know what he's doing and this is likely his first rodeo with this sort of work.

Thanks for the response. He has mentioned about speed and temp in the past. He is an accomplished welder and friend. I’m just looking for sources. He stated he could make some fairly easily. I’m just sourcing and inquiring on my own to help the project because we have a LOT to do. He did say if you welded correctly (speed/temp control) you might not need braces but we could as a backup. Thanks again
Superhawk996
Right on! Thanks for working to save another 914!
Costa05
Made these from 1/2" pipe. Allthread, 1/4" flat bar stock. I am sure there are lots of other ways to make them. Each side is different. Maybe $25 in material.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
914forme
When I did my first one, I set it on a ( cart path the donuts ) . Autocorrected have to leave it. set it on a cart, on the donuts, and keep the doors on. I used a porta-power and get the gaps set where I wanted them, and checked it all the time.

When I put it up on a rotisserie I used Tangerine Door braces, Chris also makes a kit to allow you to use the doors attached.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.