Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Timing by flywheel mark?, How do I time engine by flywheel mark?
pistonboy
post Jan 30 2020, 11:33 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,305
Region Association: None

Hello

I have put a Pertronix module in my distributor. I cannot see the timing marks on the blower cage. Isn't there suppose to be a TDC mark on the flywheel I can use?

Also, I have carbs on the engine, if that makes a difference.

Thank you.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Jan 31 2020, 05:13 AM
Post #2

Certified Professional Scapegoat

Member No.: 17,042
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Right in the middle and just behind the engine tin at the back of the engine there is an inspection hole. If you look down through that you will be able to see a notch on the flywheel (if the engine is at TDC). It lines up with the split in the engine case. You probably have to push back the rubber.

Some people find that easier to use. i do not. I'd use it to set your engine at TDC and then find a way to paint a mark on the fan that you an see.
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post Jan 31 2020, 05:53 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,565
Region Association: North East States

I have kept these links handy:

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9.../914_timing.htm

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=339759

I've also clearly marked TDC on both the pulley and flywheel last time it was out. I use an adjustable timing light referencing those.
+Quote Post
iankarr
post Jan 31 2020, 07:45 AM
Post #4

The wrencher formerly known as Cuddy_K

Member No.: 18,749
Region Association: Intermountain Region

Remember that the flywheel/crank makes two revolutions to complete one full rotation of the cam shaft which moves the valves. So, the notch on the flywheel will line up with the split on the case when at TDC for #1 AND #3. Pull the distributor cap and make sure the rotor is pointing to the notch / #1 plug terminal to confirm you're at #1 (from a tiiming standpoint).
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Jan 31 2020, 07:54 AM
Post #5

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

There is a mark on the flywheel that is not easy to use. I would not bother with it.

Pull the inspection plug on the fan shroud. Big black round thing directly in the middle of the top of the fan shroud and directly above the fan.

You timing marks will differ as to what engine you have. But if you are using a digital advance variable timing light you will want to use the TDC timing mark, not the red line. The TDC mark is sometimes an uncolored line, sometimes a stamped "0". If you are using an analog light, use the red line (27 degree mark). And of course don't discount a prior owner painting all sorts of different things on the fan that will confuse the hell out of you but made sense to him.

Its easiest to use a mirror (I used an inspection mirror on a pole from the auto parts store) to bounce the timing light into the hole and see the result. that way I can work the throttle with one hand, and work the timing light and mirror with the other.

As you look down the timing hole in the shroud, there are usually 2 notches. One on the "engine" side of the shroud that is slightly harder to see, and one on the "Firewall" side of the shroud that is easier to see. in my car the one that was easier to see was also slightly off, so I use the mark on the engine side that is harder to see. Since I use a mirror, it really makes no difference. But if you are trying to lean over the car and see it without a mirror you will assume that VW hates us and wants us to feel pain. Just remember that these engines were supposed to go into Buses and rear engined cars, making the timing hole and the engine side notch very easy to use.

Zach
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Jan 31 2020, 03:09 PM
Post #6

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439

Another thing you can do is to rotate the engine by hand to the timing mark and make your own timing mark the back side of the flywheel through the hole in the "bell housing" part of the crankcase on the right side of the car. It's a little harder to get to on an injected engine.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
pistonboy
post Feb 3 2020, 04:58 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 19,305

Thanks guys. You are a great help.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 07:35 PM