Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Timing by flywheel mark?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pistonboy
Hello

I have put a Pertronix module in my distributor. I cannot see the timing marks on the blower cage. Isn't there suppose to be a TDC mark on the flywheel I can use?

Also, I have carbs on the engine, if that makes a difference.

Thank you.
BeatNavy
Right in the middle and just behind the engine tin at the back of the engine there is an inspection hole. If you look down through that you will be able to see a notch on the flywheel (if the engine is at TDC). It lines up with the split in the engine case. You probably have to push back the rubber.

Some people find that easier to use. i do not. I'd use it to set your engine at TDC and then find a way to paint a mark on the fan that you an see.
GregAmy
I have kept these links handy:

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9.../914_timing.htm

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=339759

I've also clearly marked TDC on both the pulley and flywheel last time it was out. I use an adjustable timing light referencing those.
iankarr
Remember that the flywheel/crank makes two revolutions to complete one full rotation of the cam shaft which moves the valves. So, the notch on the flywheel will line up with the split on the case when at TDC for #1 AND #3. Pull the distributor cap and make sure the rotor is pointing to the notch / #1 plug terminal to confirm you're at #1 (from a tiiming standpoint).
VaccaRabite
There is a mark on the flywheel that is not easy to use. I would not bother with it.

Pull the inspection plug on the fan shroud. Big black round thing directly in the middle of the top of the fan shroud and directly above the fan.

You timing marks will differ as to what engine you have. But if you are using a digital advance variable timing light you will want to use the TDC timing mark, not the red line. The TDC mark is sometimes an uncolored line, sometimes a stamped "0". If you are using an analog light, use the red line (27 degree mark). And of course don't discount a prior owner painting all sorts of different things on the fan that will confuse the hell out of you but made sense to him.

Its easiest to use a mirror (I used an inspection mirror on a pole from the auto parts store) to bounce the timing light into the hole and see the result. that way I can work the throttle with one hand, and work the timing light and mirror with the other.

As you look down the timing hole in the shroud, there are usually 2 notches. One on the "engine" side of the shroud that is slightly harder to see, and one on the "Firewall" side of the shroud that is easier to see. in my car the one that was easier to see was also slightly off, so I use the mark on the engine side that is harder to see. Since I use a mirror, it really makes no difference. But if you are trying to lean over the car and see it without a mirror you will assume that VW hates us and wants us to feel pain. Just remember that these engines were supposed to go into Buses and rear engined cars, making the timing hole and the engine side notch very easy to use.

Zach
IronHillRestorations
Another thing you can do is to rotate the engine by hand to the timing mark and make your own timing mark the back side of the flywheel through the hole in the "bell housing" part of the crankcase on the right side of the car. It's a little harder to get to on an injected engine.
pistonboy
Thanks guys. You are a great help.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.