Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

11 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Finally bought my own 914, Inspection done!
911GT2
post Feb 13 2020, 04:16 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,773
Region Association: Europe

So, I've been a member here since 2011. I've been interested in 914's for longer than that. But to be honest my focus was always in the 356, 912 and 911.

After I sold my 944S2 I went on the hunt for a good 912. Which I did find, and bought... so I thought. We had a gentleman's agreement. Shook the guys hand and planned to pick the car up a week later. Day on forehand the owner started to act weird. Long story short, I didn't buy the 912.

Actually after numerous 'failures' in buying an air-cooled Porsche I got fed up with the entire Porsche scene. I had cash burning in my pocket and so I bought a VW bug instead. And another one. And a 69 westy camper...
One of the bugs ended out as a buggy project the other got sold.

So after just recently selling my buggy I finally bit the bullet and bought my first 914. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) Finally! The '69 westy stays in the fleet though. That's for weekends with the family.
Attached Image

So I bought a '74 1.8. I know the 2.0's are more desirable but for me it's not about the resell value it's about the driving experience. And on paper at least I think the 15 BHP difference for me is not where's it at. And besides, the 2.0 in good state just wasn't within budget.

That brings me to my plans. I'm trying to make it a focussed weekend driver. So I'm planning on new/ better shocks, maybe bigger sway bars, sticky tires, upgraded discs all without losing the stock look.

It's going to take some time the find the proper parts... but since the car is still currently in L.A. at a dealer and I'm located in The Netherlands I still have some time on my hands.

Attached Image

Update here
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Feb 13 2020, 04:57 AM
Post #2

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031
Region Association: None

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

Looks like a beautiful car. Good luck with it.

About the 1.8L <> 2.0L difference, those 15HP do make a difference although the 1.8L is still a fun car.
+Quote Post
Coondog
post Feb 13 2020, 05:23 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,195
Region Association: Southern California

Bought from Beverly Hills Car Club !!! Hope you did your homework...... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
stevegm
post Feb 13 2020, 06:08 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,633
Region Association: South East States

Congratulations! I really like the saddle interiors.
+Quote Post
911GT2
post Feb 13 2020, 06:49 AM
Post #5

QUOTE(Coondog @ Feb 13 2020, 03:23 AM) *

Bought from Beverly Hills Car Club !!! Hope you did your homework...... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

Well I'm buying from abroad. So I must go on what I can find online. They seemed ok. They did help me getting all the information on the car, and I've got a feeling they presented the car in a fair way. I won't know for sure until I see the car live. But for the costs of flying over there inspecting and flying back there can still be some issues an I still come out on top.

914's in europe are more scarce and usually in the same or worse condition only thing is the price is a lot higher.

Also private sellers are a bit more reluctant to help with overseas shipping.

Until now they didn't put a foot wrong though. So for me it has been a pleasant experience.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Feb 13 2020, 06:57 AM
Post #6

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
dax1969
post Feb 13 2020, 07:20 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 17,103

Welcome !

I am located in Belgium and you should have put a "want to buy" add in the classified section. Plenty good guys here but you need to take your time.

I really hope your new car is presented correct by the BHCC cause they have a bad reputation (see also the thread and the pictures of the green one !). Hope they have sent you pics of the hellhole and the longs.

if you need advise on shipping/importing just let me know

fyi : I have a 74 out of Florida on the way to Belgium. I only buy fm longtime, reputable 914 world members. I learned the hard way by buying sight unseen fm ebay years ago.

Good luck

Tot wederhoren en zeker lid worden van de 914 club holland

groeten

Dax

+Quote Post
jrblackbox
post Feb 13 2020, 07:21 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 19,140

Sweet looking teener!
+Quote Post
911GT2
post Feb 13 2020, 07:37 AM
Post #9

Thanks for the welcome guys.

Yes maybe I made a mistake buying from BHCC, I won't know until I get the car. Like I said it was represented to me on a reasonable matter. Far better then any seller so far. So I made a choice based upon that.

I can't change that now. If it's really bad, that a life lesson learned. And they always come at a price. Right now, I'm hoping for the best though.
+Quote Post
dax1969
post Feb 13 2020, 08:23 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 17,103

QUOTE(911GT2 @ Feb 13 2020, 02:37 PM) *

Thanks for the welcome guys.

Yes maybe I made a mistake buying from BHCC, I won't know until I get the car. Like I said it was represented to me on a reasonable matter. Far better then any seller so far. So I made a choice based upon that.

I can't change that now. If it's really bad, that a life lesson learned. And they always come at a price. Right now, I'm hoping for the best though.

Relax and indeed wait until the car arrives. I didn't say you made a mistake... if it all feels right for you then you should not worry. I guess you know how to work on cars so keeping this one on the road is a good thing ! If you want we can stay in contact cause finding parts for these cars is sometimes a bit challenging in Europe. Most of the good stuff is in the USA but importing can be expensive (bloody customs and taxes).

Keep us posted and once again, welcome here... you can learn a lot from this platform. Mindblowing knowledge here !

bye
Dax

+Quote Post
Big Len
post Feb 13 2020, 08:25 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 16,126
Region Association: Southwest Region

She's a beauty. Best of luck !!
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Feb 13 2020, 08:27 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

As long as it's not rusty you'll be fine. Looks almost exactly like the car I had in college. '74 Sunflower Yellow 1.8 with carbs and a matching cam. Still my favorite of all my 914s.
+Quote Post
Steve
post Feb 13 2020, 09:09 AM
Post #13

914 Guru

Member No.: 822

If you have all the pictures, post them here for honest feedback. Lots of threads on BHCC, but I don't remember seeing one on this car. Naturally people post the crappy one's for entertainment.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Feb 13 2020, 09:21 AM
Post #14

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

Congrats, nice looking car.
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Feb 13 2020, 09:47 AM
Post #15

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418

What a car! Perfect color perfect wheels and I LOVE the limited edition spoiler

QUOTE(911GT2 @ Feb 13 2020, 03:16 AM) *

So, I've been a member here since 2011. I've been interested in 914's for longer than that. But to be honest my focus was always in the 356, 912 and 911.

After I sold my 944S2 I went on the hunt for a good 912. Which I did find, and bought... so I thought. We had a gentleman's agreement. Shook the guys hand and planned to pick the car up a week later. Day on forehand the owner started to act weird. Long story short, I didn't buy the 912.

Actually after numerous 'failures' in buying an air-cooled Porsche I got fed up with the entire Porsche scene. I had cash burning in my pocket and so I bought a VW bug instead. And another one. And a 69 westy camper...
One of the bugs ended out as a buggy project the other got sold.

So after just recently selling my buggy I finally bit the bullet and bought my first 914. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) Finally! The '69 westy stays in the fleet though. That's for weekends with the family.
Attached Image

So I bought a '74 1.8. I know the 2.0's are more desirable but for me it's not about the resell value it's about the driving experience. And on paper at least I think the 15 BHP difference for me is not where's it at. And besides, the 2.0 in good state just wasn't within budget.

That brings me to my plans. I'm trying to make it a focussed weekend driver. So I'm planning on new/ better shocks, maybe bigger sway bars, sticky tires, upgraded discs all without losing the stock look.

It's going to take some time the find the proper parts... but since the car is still currently in L.A. at a dealer and I'm located in The Netherlands I still have some time on my hands.

+Quote Post
kroelofsen
post Feb 13 2020, 10:00 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 23,255

Nice color... I have a 1.8 and currently restoring it... Have fun!
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Feb 13 2020, 10:28 AM
Post #17

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) Hey don't worry they can all be fixed when needed. Great color and year. Now the madness begins as you begin to modify and make it your own.
+Quote Post
AZBanks
post Feb 13 2020, 10:31 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 5,245
Region Association: Southwest Region

Congratulations and welcome to the madness.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Feb 13 2020, 10:45 AM
Post #19

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

+Quote Post
911GT2
post Feb 13 2020, 10:46 AM
Post #20

QUOTE(Steve @ Feb 13 2020, 07:09 AM) *

If you have all the pictures, post them here for honest feedback. Lots of threads on BHCC, but I don't remember seeing one on this car. Naturally people post the crappy one's for entertainment.

Most can be found here: https://www.beverlyhillscarclub.com/1974-po...914-c-10551.htm
+Quote Post

11 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 02:55 PM