Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

11 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Finally bought my own 914, Inspection done!
Tbrown4x4
post Mar 21 2020, 02:49 AM
Post #61

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,338
Region Association: None

I cannot add anything helpful, except I'm sorry you have to go through this. Hopefully some good advice is coming to help you resolve this.

Best of luck!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jagalyn
post Mar 21 2020, 06:01 AM
Post #62

True Patina

Member No.: 5,503

OK... This will cost you money. But maybe in the long run would be the answer to your problems.

BHCC has a decent 1974 914 2.0 right now for sale. Maybe call them up and let them know you want to trade in the car you bought for this one... try to make a deal.

1974 914 2.0 Silver

This one seems to be a really good car from the pictures and receipts. I know it is a lot of money... but when you factor in shipping, taxes, duty and the repairs that might be required on the car you bought... this might actually be the cheaper route. And it's a 2 Liter.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Mar 21 2020, 06:21 AM
Post #63

Advanced Member

Member No.: 21,666

While I do not (obviously) endorse want appear to be less than accurate promises from them in response to your most recent communication they are being truthful in that everting here in California that is not considered essential is frozen.

That included DMV that handles titles.

+Quote Post
911GT2
post Mar 21 2020, 06:29 AM
Post #64

Member No.: 12,773
Region Association: Europe

QUOTE(jagalyn @ Mar 21 2020, 04:01 AM) *

OK... This will cost you money. But maybe in the long run would be the answer to your problems.

BHCC has a decent 1974 914 2.0 right now for sale. Maybe call them up and let them know you want to trade in the car you bought for this one... try to make a deal.

1974 914 2.0 Silver

This one seems to be a really good car from the pictures and receipts. I know it is a lot of money... but when you factor in shipping, taxes, duty and the repairs that might be required on the car you bought... this might actually be the cheaper route. And it's a 2 Liter.

Attached Image

Thank you but right now I don't have the money to walk that route.

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Mar 21 2020, 04:21 AM) *

While I do not (obviously) endorse want appear to be less than accurate promises from them in response to your most recent communication they are being truthful in that everting here in California that is not considered essential is frozen.

That I know. But right now it seems they still have to start. And it should have started a month ago. The issue is not that I do not understand the problem, the issue is until now I haven't seen anything from them which indicates that they made progress, or even started solving the title issue.
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Mar 21 2020, 07:36 AM
Post #65

Advanced Member

Member No.: 21,666

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Mar 21 2020, 04:21 AM) *

QUOTE(911GT2)

That I know. But right now it seems they still have to start. And it should have started a month ago. The issue is not that I do not understand the problem, the issue is until now I haven't seen anything from them which indicates that they made progress, or even started solving the title issue.

I totally understand that frustration, I'd be equally (if not more) upset with those answers.

I don't think they are open to be public now but I will try calling them this morning. Normally at this point I'd just jump in the car and drive up there. Wish I had last week, sorry.

If they can't get you a good title they will refund your money. Getting the title may well be a 3-6 month process (or longer) from here if they are just starting. I doubt they are, but the backlog of paperwork is going to be enormous.

Sending you a PM with my contact info if you want to chat live.
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Mar 21 2020, 09:19 AM
Post #66

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

@911GT2

In my experience you have to be able to negotiate from both points of view - both the buyer and the seller.

I was once involved in a $9000 deal for a 914/6 (tells you how long ago this was).

I closed the deal with a gut feeling that something wasn't right. As I was getting ready to drive it home cross country, about 20 minutes out from the dealership I realized the only way my gut feelings could be true is if the car had been VIN Swapped (illegal in all of the U.S.). I found a small tag of MIG wire under the front right fender VIN. It indeed had been removed from another car and welded into this tub.

To make a very long story short. I resolved it with the selling dealership by allowing them to take back the car and to refund me 90% of the money, and to get me back to the airport and on the return flight I had booked just in case I hadn't bought the car.

Should I have had to accept a 10% haircut to get out of a fradulent deal - No.

Should I have turned them in - Maybe, but, that assumes I could prove they knew what they were selling was fradulent. I didn't feel I could meet that standard of proof.

The bottom line was that I learned a $900 lesson about following my gut instinct before closing a deal (for cars or anything else). Over the course of my life it was a valuable lesson that has paid for itself several times over.

The dealership got somthing for thier trouble and the fact that they now had a car that they could no longer represent as an orignal 914/6.

I apologize to the 914/6 community, I have no idea what happened to that car nor do I have any documents on it or the VIN of it. Hopefully it has been wrecked or rusted out by now.

911GT2 - you might consider doing the same. Get BHCC to cancel the sale and hold back some small % for thier trouble. That cuts you free from the drama and allows you to get on with finding a better car and someone that will help you every step of the way.
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Mar 21 2020, 01:04 PM
Post #67

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068
Region Association: Southern California

I get a weird feeling every time I look at anything from BHCC. That's me, some may disagree. I wouldn't deal with them. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
911GT2
post Mar 21 2020, 01:16 PM
Post #68

Just now I had a long call with BHCC again. They walked me trough the process they had to do so far. It's not all on them to be fair!

So basically since the law changed on export for cars from NY and I only bought the car a couple of days later so they had to request a new title. Normally that wouldn't be a big problem. But 'my' car is missing a sticker with approval and VIN from the doorsill. So they had to have the car inspected in person apparently. That inspection was done march 16th and that's the document they got in yesterday. (apparently)
With that document they now can go to the DMV and request the new title. Except the DMV is closed.
So monday they try again, if the DMV is still closed by then I have a few choices.

1. I get the refund.
2. We try to make a deal on the silver 914 2.0 like was suggested by @jagalyn that was also suggested by BHCC
3. I wait.

3. is not an option anymore.

I'm tempted to go for 2. but I think I can't come up that much. What would be reasonable price for that car? I think I can come up to about 17K excl shipping maybe 18 if I stretch it thin.

1974 914 2.0 Silver

What would you do? Anybody selling a nice 914 as alternative (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Coondog
post Mar 21 2020, 01:30 PM
Post #69

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,195

Have Tdskip give the 2.0 a head to toe inspection and if it looks good make a deal.

Run from that first car, it’s going to be your restoration nightmare.
As they say always buy the best 914 you can’t afford,,,, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) or something like that.,, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
FlacaProductions
post Mar 21 2020, 01:48 PM
Post #70

Member No.: 21,628

I'm in no way as educated in 914's at @Tdskip but I know my way around them (at the very least aesthetically) and am happy to run over there and take a look by myself or with anyone else...just yell. I promise to stay 6-feet away from anyone else...
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
911GT2
post Mar 21 2020, 01:48 PM
Post #71

QUOTE(Coondog @ Mar 21 2020, 11:30 AM) *

Have Tdskip give the 2.0 a head to toe inspection and if it looks good make a deal.

Run from that first car, it’s going to be your restoration nightmare.
As they say always buy the best 914 you can’t afford,,,, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) or something like that.,, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

LOL (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
FlacaProductions
post Mar 21 2020, 02:05 PM
Post #72

re: the silver 74 - it was RNM on BaT 11/29/19.
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1974-porsche-914-38/

may give you some pricing/negotiating guidance?
+Quote Post
911GT2
post Mar 21 2020, 02:22 PM
Post #73

QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Mar 21 2020, 12:05 PM) *

re: the silver 74 - it was RNM on BaT 11/29/19.
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1974-porsche-914-38/

may give you some pricing/negotiating guidance?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Mar 21 2020, 02:35 PM
Post #74

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

I’d take the money and run.
You know they have lied about what they did and didn’t do before. I understand the desire to have a nice car, but deal with someone that you can at least plausibly believe to be honest. It’s about integrity. They have shown that they regard the truth as a gray area in this one instance, why would there not be more?

They have shown their nature, you should view all further dealings through this lens.

There are lots of good folks here that can help you in your the search here. People with no skin in the game.

Just my .02

I hate seeing fellow 914’ers getting hosed.
+Quote Post
FlacaProductions
post Mar 21 2020, 03:06 PM
Post #75

One other point - don't think we're in a vacuum here - BHCC may be also on these boards in one way or another.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Mar 21 2020, 04:27 PM
Post #76

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I imagine as a dealer, they are required to give you good title to the car. At this point, the offices that could handle the title work may be closed for an indeterminate amount of time. I would try your best to get your money back asap. Then use this site and the great people here to help guide you to a reputable seller with a good car.
+Quote Post
jagalyn
post Mar 21 2020, 05:30 PM
Post #77

True Patina

Member No.: 5,503

Yep. Start with getting your money back. Then all options are on the table.
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Mar 21 2020, 06:30 PM
Post #78

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Mar 21 2020, 04:35 PM) *

I’d take the money and run.
...but deal with someone that you can at least plausibly believe to be honest...

There are lots of good folks here that can help you in your the search here. People with no skin in the game.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Buy a car from someone on this board. You'll get enough eyes on the car to make sure it is what they're selling. I bought my 914 from this site from someone who was known to be reputable.
+Quote Post
iankarr
post Mar 21 2020, 07:24 PM
Post #79

The wrencher formerly known as Cuddy_K

Member No.: 18,749
Region Association: Intermountain Region

My two favorite quotes...

– Buy the best car you can afford.

– Buying the seller is more important than buying the car

I agree with the brain trust...get your money back
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Mar 21 2020, 07:24 PM
Post #80

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Good luck with this
+Quote Post

11 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:03 AM