Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Transmission - Replaced damaged gears
71914-4
post Feb 14 2020, 07:07 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,226
Region Association: None

My transmission in my '71 succumbed to the dreaded faulty 1st gear assembly. Started with difficulty shifting into 1st. gear, progressed to jumping out of 1st., ended up refusing to shift into 1st. gear. Drove around using 2nd gear to start off from a dead stop, what a PIA.

Finally bit the bullet and ordered the necessary parts from Pelican to make the repairs. Put the car on drive-up ramps and chocked the front wheels. Pulled muffler and started prep to remove rear cover from transmission. Removed the drain plug and found the brake band stuck to the magnet of the plug. Pulled the rear cover and found the 1st gear speed energizer/stop laying in the inspection sump. Further removal of the gears revealed the circclip was still in place. Don't have any clue as to how brake band/speed energizer got out of there. Thankfully nothing else was damaged by these pieces floating around in the case.

Followed Pelican's instructions to make the repairs. All went well but reinstalling rear cover was very fiddlie. Keeping the needle bearing cage in place was a major PIA. Once that was accomplished everything bolted up just fine. Took it for a test drive, first few times shifting into 1st was stiff but got better the more I shifted. Great to have a 1st gear again. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Neglected to take photos. Yeah I know some will say it didn't happen if no photos.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bandjoey
post Feb 14 2020, 07:15 PM
Post #2

bandjoey

Member No.: 8,156
Region Association: Southwest Region

and of course you replaced all the shifting rod bushings top to the firewall - naturally (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
71914-4
post Feb 15 2020, 05:58 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 19,226
Region Association: None

I replaced all the bushings from shift rod boot at tranny to shifter when I purchased the car 4 years ago. Everything was inspected and found to be in good shape prior to doing repairs. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th May 2024 - 10:18 AM