Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Transmission - Replaced damaged gears
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
71914-4
My transmission in my '71 succumbed to the dreaded faulty 1st gear assembly. Started with difficulty shifting into 1st. gear, progressed to jumping out of 1st., ended up refusing to shift into 1st. gear. Drove around using 2nd gear to start off from a dead stop, what a PIA.

Finally bit the bullet and ordered the necessary parts from Pelican to make the repairs. Put the car on drive-up ramps and chocked the front wheels. Pulled muffler and started prep to remove rear cover from transmission. Removed the drain plug and found the brake band stuck to the magnet of the plug. Pulled the rear cover and found the 1st gear speed energizer/stop laying in the inspection sump. Further removal of the gears revealed the circclip was still in place. Don't have any clue as to how brake band/speed energizer got out of there. Thankfully nothing else was damaged by these pieces floating around in the case.

Followed Pelican's instructions to make the repairs. All went well but reinstalling rear cover was very fiddlie. Keeping the needle bearing cage in place was a major PIA. Once that was accomplished everything bolted up just fine. Took it for a test drive, first few times shifting into 1st was stiff but got better the more I shifted. Great to have a 1st gear again. driving.gif

Neglected to take photos. Yeah I know some will say it didn't happen if no photos.
bandjoey
and of course you replaced all the shifting rod bushings top to the firewall - naturally biggrin.gif
71914-4
I replaced all the bushings from shift rod boot at tranny to shifter when I purchased the car 4 years ago. Everything was inspected and found to be in good shape prior to doing repairs. piratenanner.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.