Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> LED headlight load for Fogs. ?
bandjoey
post Feb 15 2020, 01:01 PM
Post #1

bandjoey

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,156
Region Association: Southwest Region

Three years ago when LED headlights started being offered for 914 I bought a set from Vintage lighting. This week The driver side headlight started blowing a fuse every time the lights were turned on. I switched out to a sealed beam light and it works fine. So that LED bulb must’ve gone bad. I looked at the $99 replacement bulb set at 914 rubber and there’s a statement that says if you have fog lights be sure and add a load to make them work. So if I go that route how do I add a load? I am also considering buying the new complete LED 7” headlight set that says plug and play as an entire unit. Will I run into the same problem with that unit?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Feb 15 2020, 01:19 PM
Post #2

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348
Region Association: None

What we are discussing is toward the end of the thread.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...+light+-working

1st thing I'd do is pull the vintage ones and make sure its that the problem is. Ours works the same way theirs does, and the draw will be similar. If you had no problems with theirs as far as fogs go, ours will be the same.

You may find theirs has not failed and the problem is a short somewhere along the wiring. I have the new 3 prong connectors ( I suspect this is your problem).

The LEDs should be good for 10,000 hrs, so unless you do a LOT of night driving it should not have failed.

https://900designs-container.zoeysite.com/t...-housing-3-pole

If not I can get you a new set. Ours now have a much better sealing rings and there is no separate ballast, it's built in.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
bandjoey
post Feb 15 2020, 09:51 PM
Post #3

bandjoey

Member No.: 8,156
Region Association: Southwest Region

Fogs have always worked OK with the early LEDs. Since the old seal beam unit works fine I don’t see a short. Also since yours do not have the large ballast it’s a much easier installation. That was a wiring mess. At $99 I think I’ll take a chance on yours. Thanks.
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Feb 16 2020, 03:53 AM
Post #4

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348
Region Association: None

Should be a quick swap since you have the housing already mounted.

Do check the prong socket, I have seen some real crappy ones. Technically you would think that as long as the prongs are all on tight you’d be ok, but maybe it’s grounded out. Should be easy to see.
Mark
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 08:45 PM