Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: LED headlight load for Fogs. ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bandjoey
Three years ago when LED headlights started being offered for 914 I bought a set from Vintage lighting. This week The driver side headlight started blowing a fuse every time the lights were turned on. I switched out to a sealed beam light and it works fine. So that LED bulb must’ve gone bad. I looked at the $99 replacement bulb set at 914 rubber and there’s a statement that says if you have fog lights be sure and add a load to make them work. So if I go that route how do I add a load? I am also considering buying the new complete LED 7” headlight set that says plug and play as an entire unit. Will I run into the same problem with that unit?
Mikey914
What we are discussing is toward the end of the thread.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...+light+-working

1st thing I'd do is pull the vintage ones and make sure its that the problem is. Ours works the same way theirs does, and the draw will be similar. If you had no problems with theirs as far as fogs go, ours will be the same.

You may find theirs has not failed and the problem is a short somewhere along the wiring. I have the new 3 prong connectors ( I suspect this is your problem).

The LEDs should be good for 10,000 hrs, so unless you do a LOT of night driving it should not have failed.

https://900designs-container.zoeysite.com/t...-housing-3-pole

If not I can get you a new set. Ours now have a much better sealing rings and there is no separate ballast, it's built in.

bandjoey
Fogs have always worked OK with the early LEDs. Since the old seal beam unit works fine I don’t see a short. Also since yours do not have the large ballast it’s a much easier installation. That was a wiring mess. At $99 I think I’ll take a chance on yours. Thanks.
Mikey914
Should be a quick swap since you have the housing already mounted.

Do check the prong socket, I have seen some real crappy ones. Technically you would think that as long as the prongs are all on tight you’d be ok, but maybe it’s grounded out. Should be easy to see.
Mark
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.