Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

17 Pages V « < 6 7 8 9 10 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 74 Roller rebuild and Subaru conversion, 1974 rebuild and Subaru conversion project
Mayne
post Feb 5 2022, 08:34 AM
Post #141

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,880
Region Association: None

Nice, detailed work. Those will look great going onto a freshly painted body.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mgarrison
post Feb 8 2022, 04:25 PM
Post #142

Member No.: 23,922
Region Association: Southwest Region

I've been trying to clean up my 5-bolt hubs and the Boxster calipers. The post about Iron-X was very timely - I just ordered some from Amazon to help cleaning the hubs. The citrus degreaser only gets you so far!
Attached Image

Debating what color to paint these, and still need to order the Brembo stencils.
Attached Image

I'd like to paint them Ravenna green with black Brembo logos. The rattle can of Ravenna green I have says it works on calipers, but I'm not sure it would hold up to the heat! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
mgarrison
post Feb 10 2022, 09:00 PM
Post #143

I got the calipers all taped off and bleeders replaced with bolts so I could blast them. They came out pretty dang good!
Attached Image

I consulted my Aesthetic Director (my wife), and we decided to go with the traditional red calipers with the white Brembo logo. I got two of them painted with 3 layers of red. Still waiting on the Brembo stencils though.
Attached Image

I spent some time removing the old tie rods, and cleaning up the steering rack. Looks much better now.
Attached Image Attached Image

Some of the parts I ordered are starting to show up, but in bits and pieces from various warehouses. The only complete "set" that has made it was the rear hubs and studs, so I installed the studs. My jack pads made it which I hope will assist with getting the chassis off the body dolly and back onto jack stands.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
mgarrison
post Feb 11 2022, 02:57 PM
Post #144

Just when I think things can't get any weirder...YRC shows up at my door a bit ago totally unannounced. They want to deliver my hood & decklid that were supposed to be lost. The driver hands the box down and we notice part of the hood is poking out through the side of the box. Ruh-Roh...
Attached Image

Not sure exactly what they did to this while it was "lost", but it doesn't look like those scratches & break happened while it was in a box!
Attached Image

I thought 2022 was supposed to be better than 2021...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)
+Quote Post
slowrodent
post Feb 11 2022, 03:13 PM
Post #145

Member No.: 23,981

Sorry to see that. Those look like really nice parts... Bummer. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Feb 12 2022, 07:26 PM
Post #146

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

Not going with the PORSCHE logo on the calipers? They've already got brembo cast into them...
+Quote Post
mgarrison
post Feb 13 2022, 06:32 PM
Post #147

I managed to get the turbo tie rod kit installed on my steering rack. Getting those boots on requires about 6 arms! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

I have to say I'm a bit disappointed that a $200+ "kit" does not include any retainers to hold the boots - you have to use your existing inner retainers, and tie wraps for the outer side... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
mgarrison
post Feb 17 2022, 07:48 PM
Post #148

I thought I would get the 914 off the body dolly and onto jack stands so that I can start to bolt the suspension, etc. back on. We put it on the body dolly before we had the Quick Jack. Makes me wonder how...
Attached Image

Since it's a full mon, and in the old (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif) Happens. This happened when the one Quick Jack did not go down for some strange reason, and I didn't catch it soon enough! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
Attached Image

Luckily, it was a slow pivot and the 4x4 I had to stabilize the front kept it from hitting the concrete. I got jack stands under the back ASAP, and worked to get the front up off the 4x4. Inching it back into place took a bit, but thankfully was uneventful.

I was going to post something from about "We can rebuild her. We have (most of) the parts...", but the chassis spill took the joy out of it.
Attached Image

At least I can start to bolt the suspension back on now...And I was wise enough to pull my front valance off "just in case I needed to lift from the front" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
76-914
post Feb 17 2022, 07:54 PM
Post #149

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

Did you clean your underwear out afterwards? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) IIRC, Mark posted that those kits would required re-use of those spring retainers. Probably forgot to list that in the ad. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Mayne
post Feb 18 2022, 08:28 AM
Post #150

Member No.: 20,880
Region Association: None

Scary little incident! Glad no humans or 914s were injured.
+Quote Post
mgarrison
post Feb 18 2022, 09:48 AM
Post #151

Yep. I told my wife after that she would have been proud; I didn't yell & curse. I got quiet and thought "ok, that just happened. Now what?". I did scramble to get jack stands under where I could to stabilize it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)
+Quote Post
mgarrison
post Feb 20 2022, 05:58 PM
Post #152

I'm trying to keep cleaning and doing things that I can while I wait for the rest of my parts to show up. Still need strut top mounts, steering coupler, ball joint hardware, and rear rotors...Shipping these days sucks! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

On today's menu; smoked 5-bolt hubs is today's special! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) I figured this was an easy way to heat the hubs up to 250-300 degrees like the manual says to.
Attached Image

Still was quite the fight to get the inner races fully seated (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif) Managed OK in the end, but I did go pretty Tourette's for a bit during the process! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hissyfit.gif)
Attached Image

I need to write this date down - I actually bolted a couple parts onto the chassis!
Attached Image

Wrapped the car up tight again...70% chance of rain by Wednesday. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
mgarrison
post Feb 21 2022, 03:08 PM
Post #153

Ok, don't do what I did here:
Attached Image

The toothed/splined washer goes on the end of the threaded pivot shaft - the goal is to keep the shaft from spinning. Only the flat washer and nut should be on the outside. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post
mgarrison
post Feb 22 2022, 02:52 PM
Post #154

Painted the Brembo logos today before the rain is due tomorrow. They need to cure for a week before I can clear coat them.

Little Brembo "packages"...
Attached Image

First coat...
Attached Image

I followed the paint directions of 2 light coats with 10min between each, followed by a 3rd medium coat. Seems like it was too thick/heavy for the logos.
Attached Image

Hopefully, after they cure for a week and get clear coated and cure for another week, they will end up looking ok from 5-10 feet. Oh well, I tried...
Attached Image

If I had to do it again, I might just buy the cheapo high-temp stickers off Amazon and clear coat them; it was $30 for 4 stencils, plus cost of paint, etc. The stencils were not centered on the backing, which made placing them challenging. I guess I expected too much for my $30+ postage (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
mgarrison
post Mar 15 2022, 04:26 PM
Post #155

Been puttering around trying to work on random things while I wait for parts to arrive. I stripped the engine lid, cleaned up the mesh and primed and painted them. I had a rattle can of the sample Ravenna Green, so I figured WTH I'll use it on the engine lid! I ran out of the clear coat to go over it, but it doesn't look half bad...for a rattle can job! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Attached ImageAttached Image

Speaking of parts arriving...My hood and deck lid finally made it! The box looked fine, I pulled them out to check them before the driver ran off. Just when I thought things were looking up. After getting them fully unwrapped, it looks like they must have dropped the box pretty hard and it crushed the corner of the duckbill spoiler on the one side. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Attached ImageAttached Image
+Quote Post
mgarrison
post Mar 17 2022, 09:40 PM
Post #156

My Rebel Racing parts finally made it! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
Attached Image

It took me two tries, and looking back at the pics on RR's site to get these assembled correctly (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif)
Attached Image

I went with the billet steering coupler...Don't want to mess with it again! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
Attached Image

I think it should stop ok... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Mar 17 2022, 09:48 PM
Post #157

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241
Region Association: Northern California

Congrats on all the forward progress! But man, oh man, all the shipping damage you're suffering just sucks. So sorry to see and fingers crossed it all works out.
+Quote Post
mgarrison
post Mar 18 2022, 08:56 PM
Post #158

After destroying a new bearing for the steering column, I regrouped on the front axle. Getting there, inch by bloody inch! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Costa05
post Mar 18 2022, 09:33 PM
Post #159

Member No.: 20,535

Front rotors and brakes look great. Moving right along with it.
+Quote Post
slowrodent
post Mar 19 2022, 08:48 AM
Post #160

Member No.: 23,981

Really excellent work. Your attention to detail is just superb. Gonna be one handsome car.
+Quote Post

17 Pages V « < 6 7 8 9 10 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th May 2024 - 09:00 AM