Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

17 Pages V « < 8 9 10 11 12 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 74 Roller rebuild and Subaru conversion, 1974 rebuild and Subaru conversion project
Chris H.
post Jul 21 2022, 10:27 AM
Post #181

Group: Members
Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Can't go wrong with the Celica GTS rad. I bet 20+ 914s are using it. The Mishimoto will probably barely get warm. I have the regular old e-bay aluminum rad with my EG33 and it stays at 185 regardless.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mgarrison
post Jul 23 2022, 09:49 AM
Post #182

Member No.: 23,922
Region Association: Southwest Region

UGH (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

If I could only find some cheap, used 16" tires I could roll her into the garage and still be able to do something! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mayne
post Jul 23 2022, 10:18 AM
Post #183

Member No.: 20,880
Region Association: None

Looking good! I’ve got the eBay Celica GTS radiator in my evolving conversion and it seems like it’ll work well. Nice score on the drivetrain and parts.
+Quote Post
mgarrison
post Aug 5 2022, 06:11 PM
Post #184

Been trying to do some little things while I replenish some $$$ for the 914. I got the radiator hoses run through the longs and got the grommets in place to keep them from chaffing on the openings.
Attached Image Attached ImageAttached ImageAttached Image

It's not much, but it's something - especially with all the rain we have been getting!
+Quote Post
Front yard mechanic
post Aug 5 2022, 08:06 PM
Post #185

Member No.: 18,984

Your build looks fantastic! Never complain about the rain in az
+Quote Post
914GTSTI
post Aug 6 2022, 05:19 PM
Post #186

Member No.: 8,123

Happy to have found your build . I'm doing the same thing up in Glendale.

What wheel offset did you get ?

Randy
+Quote Post
mgarrison
post Aug 20 2022, 12:53 PM
Post #187

QUOTE(914GTSTI @ Aug 6 2022, 04:19 PM) *

Happy to have found your build . I'm doing the same thing up in Glendale.

What wheel offset did you get ?

Randy

Good to hear your on the same journey! Just let me know if you can use any parts I'm not gonna use; I have 4-bolt wheels, brakes, struts, etc. as well as original gauges.

Here's what I ended up getting for wheels...

Attached Image Attached Image

Looking back I should have tried harder to track down the 17" diameter wheels. Tire choices would have been much more plentiful, and I think now they would have looked fine with the 911/Boxster suspension & brake setup.
+Quote Post
mgarrison
post Aug 20 2022, 01:08 PM
Post #188

Been really bummed that I'm out of funds for the 914 at the moment, and still waiting to get tires so that I can get it back down off the jack stands. But, my son hooked me up, and yesterday we took an adventure to EVIT where he attended the automotive repair program. His first year instructor Mr. Mota was a huge help! He turned us loose in the dreaded "tire room". (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) I was warned to picture a scene from Indiana Jones where we would be swimming through, and climbing over old tires! Smaller room than I imagined, but not far off at all!
Attached Image

We both climbed up in there and back as far as we could get, and in the end we found four tires that worked! Not close to the final "correct" size, but I just need to be able to roll the 914 around to the garage. My son was able to mount them for me on the swanky European tire machine so nothing got scratched (with a bit of a refresher from Mr. Mota). Some awesome personal service! Nothing like free tires AND free mounting! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)
Attached Image

A huge shout out to the East Valley Institute of Technology (EVIT) & Mr. Mota. If your in the East Valley and you, or your kids are interested in automotive stuff, or welding, or medical I can't say enough good things about EVIT. The people are great, and the facility is amazing! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

And the coolest part was Mr. Mota introduced us to another 1st year instructor whose class has started work on the green 914 I donated to EVIT. It was in the garage when we were there. He was really interested when I shared how the Subaru motors & trans fit in the 914 since they have several donated Subaru engines there in the garage. Between the welding classes, the auto body classes, and the automotive repair classes, maybe they will save another one!

Now, if the rain would just calm down a bit so I can get them mounted and be able to get the 914 back on the ground where I can torque ball joints, etc. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
mgarrison
post Aug 22 2022, 12:40 PM
Post #189

I believe its taken at least about twice as long as expected, but she's finally a roller again! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

The EZ36 on the cradle tipped forward so bad I thought the motor mounts would tear, I had a 4x4 under the front of the oil pan! I decided to try bolting the transmission up to see if it would balance things out. Sure enough, that did the trick. An interesting side note on the more recent EZ36 motors - it looks like Subaru added a front motor mount bolted to the aluminum front timing cover. It reminds me a little bit of the Porsche six mount...not sure there's really anyway to utilize it, or if its needed at all...
Attached Image

I got some U-bolts and added casters to the cradle so it's easier to move around, but I can remove them when its mounted in the car. The trans acts like it has the LSD installed (what I was told, but no way to confirm), which is an incredible bonus! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

It also has the SubaruGears 108mm 930 output flanges installed:
Attached Image

A bit premature, but I like to plan/am a total overthinker (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) With the 108mm 930 flanges on the transmission side, and I installed 914 splined stub axles on the outboard side. Is there an axle/CV joints I can use? Or, is it still going to be a custom axle? Totally not there yet but... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
autopro
post Aug 22 2022, 12:57 PM
Post #190

Member No.: 21,797
Region Association: Southern California

Car looks great, I love the flares and the wheels.
+Quote Post
slowrodent
post Aug 22 2022, 06:37 PM
Post #191

Member No.: 23,981

Progress looks great Mike.... Starting to look like a car again..and a vastly different/better one than the one you began with. It;s quite handsome indeed
+Quote Post
914GTSTI
post Aug 24 2022, 06:16 PM
Post #192

Member No.: 8,123

Looks great.

What tran's are you using ?
+Quote Post
mgarrison
post Aug 24 2022, 08:25 PM
Post #193

QUOTE(914GTSTI @ Aug 24 2022, 05:16 PM) *

Looks great.

What tran's are you using ?

It's a Subaru 5 speed. Not sure what it's out of though. Based on the model/serial number probably a WRX with a 3.9:1 final drive. It was already converted to two wheel drive. 930 flanges from Subaru Gears installed, and a LSD added.
+Quote Post
mgarrison
post Oct 3 2022, 12:43 PM
Post #194

Not much going on here...Too busy paying for and fixing things that break; water heater, pool equipment, garage door opener (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

I did manage to roll the 914 out, clean her up a bit and then cut the radiator inlet opening. Not much, but something!
+Quote Post
Mayne
post Oct 3 2022, 04:30 PM
Post #195

Member No.: 20,880

Nice intake; I like the minimalist approach. I drilled holes between the factory holes, so maybe about the same amount of airflow. Counting on my EZ30R not being too hotheaded. Car looks great, BTW!
+Quote Post
mgarrison
post Oct 11 2022, 06:43 PM
Post #196

I'm still saving up $$$, but in the meantime trying to keep doing little things as distractions.

Here's this afternoon's diversion... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
Attached ImageAttached Image

Had to use rivnuts instead of pop rivets, and my holes did not line up perfectly, but close enough! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
mgarrison
post Oct 17 2022, 02:12 PM
Post #197

Trying to keep myself busy without spending money (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

I decided to see if I can reuse the old steel bumpers that came on the 914. They are not great, but not horrible either. I mounted the front up real quick to mark where the cooler opening from the valance lines up.
Attached Image

Once I had the sides marked, I laid out where the opening needed to be to line up with the valance opening, and match where I can cut the opening on the nose without messing with the bracing that goes around where the spare tire sat.
Attached Image

I drilled the holes for the two corners (was off a smidge on both), grabbed some earplugs and started cutting (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif)
Attached Image

Came out pretty good. Toyed with using the cut out piece to match the lip on the rest of the bumper & valance, but need to mount on the car and measure first.
Attached Image

I cut out and welded in some patches for the openings where the license plate bracket was mounted, and where the holes were for mounting the rubber bumper blocks.

I still need to fill and sand my patches. Front does not look too bad, but the back was pushed in where the blocks mounted and will take a bit more work - you can see the dent on the right side of this pic! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)
+Quote Post
slowrodent
post Oct 17 2022, 06:07 PM
Post #198

Member No.: 23,981

Looks very good Mike... Your body cutout looks very similar to mine. Ive yet to attack the bumper, but your approach seems spot-on..
+Quote Post
mgarrison
post Oct 17 2022, 07:15 PM
Post #199

Quick test fit on the car to get some measurements for trimming out the opening I cut.
Attached Image

Once I had a rough measurement, I started cutting and forming the pieces I would need.
I needed to do two pieces because the scrap steel I had was not long enough for a single piece. I think it worked out better that way because the angle on the bumper would have made a single piece a challenge!
Attached Image

Mostly in place and tacked.
Attached Image

Pay no attention to my crappy welds! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
Attached Image

Did a quick, rough trim with the nibbler. More work to do with the angle grinder and body filler!
Attached Image
+Quote Post
mgarrison
post Oct 17 2022, 07:25 PM
Post #200

QUOTE(slowrodent @ Oct 17 2022, 05:07 PM) *

Looks very good Mike... Your body cutout looks very similar to mine. Ive yet to attack the bumper, but your approach seems spot-on..

Thanks Kevin! I got to see Rich's 914 in person last Friday - was nice & helpful to look at things in person and talk through how he accomplished things on his car. Re-stoked some motivation for me to keep moving forward! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post

17 Pages V « < 8 9 10 11 12 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 01:38 AM