Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How hard is it to put a 2.4L -6 engine in?
mb911
post Mar 4 2020, 11:04 AM
Post #41

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Mar 4 2020, 09:01 AM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Mar 4 2020, 08:13 AM) *

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Mar 4 2020, 06:11 AM) *

QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Mar 4 2020, 07:25 AM) *

Back on topic. My.02 is that if you had all the tools, parts, and ancillaries; a 6 conversion could be done in a very short amount of time, a few weekends maybe.
But...it never goes like that. You always run into issues that need to be repaired or improvements you'd like to make.

Oil tank and lines hardest part? Welding in the new engine mount?

Yes and wiring

2.4 with carbs doesn't need much wiring or fuel delivery work however, no?

Just adapting the harnesses
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Mar 4 2020, 11:10 AM
Post #42

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,058
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Mar 4 2020, 07:41 AM) *

I did a 2.4 /6 conversion so I know what is involved. I did most of it myself in my garage in my spare time. I like to think I did it right, too.

It is and/or can be: exciting, lots of planning, dreaming & thinking. Time consuming, wallet draining, worrying, frustrating, waiting, & impossible to finish. At the end and during first start-up; EXHILARATING AND SATISFYING!!!

All of the soul twisting you went through is quickly forgotten, believe me. I suppose it could be compared to childbirth? Lots of worry, then pain, then all forgotten when the healthy baby is bouncing on your knee.

Go for it. We're here to help.

I remember that moment in the arc of your conversion—and was so glad when you got through it. It was satisfying from the other side of a keyboard miles away.

To the OP, perhaps the best way to put it is: It is very doable, and hard but far from impossible. Best way to go is to grab the engine for a fair or good price (you can always sell it on, so there isn't much downside) > collect parts > convert when you have everything you think you'll need, and be ready for a curve ball or two > enjoy the ride. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving-girl.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th June 2024 - 07:20 PM