Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New Fuel Lines When needed?
xsurfer
post Mar 6 2020, 11:06 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,818

Subject: Stock Factory 914-6

My car has stock plastic fuel lines. I posted
a question that produced responses including
images of metal fuel lines.

Are the plastic dangerous? Ok to run?

Help is welcome.

Thanks

Gene

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Mar 6 2020, 11:26 AM
Post #2

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

They are not ok. They are 50 years old. I’ve seen a couple 911’s that have caught fire due to old fuel lines. For ~ $200, you can install all new SS lines, new clamps and new rubber lines. It’s cheap insurance on a valuable car. Gasoline fires are very hard to put out. Tangerine racing makes a great kit that’s easy to install.
+Quote Post
jcd914
post Mar 6 2020, 11:30 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,684
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 6 2020, 09:26 AM) *

They are not ok. They are 50 years old. I’ve seen a couple 911’s that have caught fire due to old fuel lines. For ~ $200, you can install all new SS lines, new clamps and new rubber lines. It’s cheap insurance on a valuable car. Gasoline fires are very hard to put out. Tangerine racing makes a great kit that’s easy to install.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
ctc911ctc
post Mar 6 2020, 12:03 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 22,206
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(jcd914 @ Mar 6 2020, 12:30 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 6 2020, 09:26 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Mar 6 2020, 01:16 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995
Region Association: None

I've never seen the plastic FI lines fail but that's not to say they can't.
When I changed mine the plastic sections were fine but my rubber line sections were marginal @ best although my car had covered low mileage,I would think that the rubber hose is the most likely cause of leaks that lead to fires.
For total piece of mind do the lines and make sure you use FI type hose clips.
+Quote Post
dlee6204
post Mar 7 2020, 05:36 AM
Post #6

Howdy

Member No.: 5,956

Replacing the lines are crucial however stainless are overkill IMO. You can get steel line from your FLAPS for $20-30
+Quote Post
Porschef
post Mar 7 2020, 07:45 AM
Post #7

How you doin'

Member No.: 12,152
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(dlee6204 @ Mar 7 2020, 06:36 AM) *

Replacing the lines are crucial however stainless are overkill IMO. You can get steel line from your FLAPS for $20-30

Yes, but then you’ve got to bend them, fit them, bend them again, unless you have a template. Chris’ lines are plug and play, and really are cheap insurance.

When I replaced mine, the plastic section in the tunnel was fine; in the engine bay, not so much. In fact, when I gave them a bend, one snapped like a dry twig.

No one wants to deal with a car fire, especially when it’s avoidable. However you do it, change them.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Mar 7 2020, 08:09 AM
Post #8

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Porschef @ Mar 7 2020, 08:45 AM) *

Yes, but then you’ve got to bend them, fit them, bend them again, unless you have a template. Chris’ lines are plug and play, and really are cheap insurance.

When I replaced mine, the plastic section in the tunnel was fine; in the engine bay, not so much. In fact, when I gave them a bend, one snapped like a dry twig.

No one wants to deal with a care fire, especially when it’s avoidable. However you do it, change them.

The tangerine lines fit perfectly. That alone is worth the money. But they also look great and will never rust or corrode. Sometimes it's nice to have the best part for your Porsche, not just the cheapest.

It is possible to fit the lines without dropping the engine.
+Quote Post
dlee6204
post Mar 7 2020, 08:29 AM
Post #9

Howdy

Member No.: 5,956

QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 7 2020, 09:09 AM) *

QUOTE(Porschef @ Mar 7 2020, 08:45 AM) *

No one wants to deal with a care fire, especially when it’s avoidable. However you do it, change them.

The tangerine lines fit perfectly. That alone is worth the money. But they also look great and will never rust or corrode. Sometimes it's nice to have the best part for your Porsche, not just the cheapest.

It is possible to fit the lines without dropping the engine.

Don’t get me wrong, I have stainless lines on my nice 914 and steel on my driver. I’m merely pointing out the fact that stainless is not required and steel is still a safe, cheap alternative. There’s only two or 3 bends to make and they’re not too critical. Steel will likely outlive the car anyway.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th May 2024 - 01:35 AM