Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Fuel Lines When needed?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
xsurfer
Subject: Stock Factory 914-6

My car has stock plastic fuel lines. I posted
a question that produced responses including
images of metal fuel lines.

Are the plastic dangerous? Ok to run?

Help is welcome.

Thanks

Gene

mepstein
They are not ok. They are 50 years old. I’ve seen a couple 911’s that have caught fire due to old fuel lines. For ~ $200, you can install all new SS lines, new clamps and new rubber lines. It’s cheap insurance on a valuable car. Gasoline fires are very hard to put out. Tangerine racing makes a great kit that’s easy to install.
jcd914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 6 2020, 09:26 AM) *

They are not ok. They are 50 years old. I’ve seen a couple 911’s that have caught fire due to old fuel lines. For ~ $200, you can install all new SS lines, new clamps and new rubber lines. It’s cheap insurance on a valuable car. Gasoline fires are very hard to put out. Tangerine racing makes a great kit that’s easy to install.

agree.gif
ctc911ctc
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Mar 6 2020, 12:30 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 6 2020, 09:26 AM) *

agree.gif

agree.gif agree.gif
porschetub
I've never seen the plastic FI lines fail but that's not to say they can't.
When I changed mine the plastic sections were fine but my rubber line sections were marginal @ best although my car had covered low mileage,I would think that the rubber hose is the most likely cause of leaks that lead to fires.
For total piece of mind do the lines and make sure you use FI type hose clips.
dlee6204
Replacing the lines are crucial however stainless are overkill IMO. You can get steel line from your FLAPS for $20-30
Porschef
QUOTE(dlee6204 @ Mar 7 2020, 06:36 AM) *

Replacing the lines are crucial however stainless are overkill IMO. You can get steel line from your FLAPS for $20-30

Yes, but then you’ve got to bend them, fit them, bend them again, unless you have a template. Chris’ lines are plug and play, and really are cheap insurance.

When I replaced mine, the plastic section in the tunnel was fine; in the engine bay, not so much. In fact, when I gave them a bend, one snapped like a dry twig.

No one wants to deal with a car fire, especially when it’s avoidable. However you do it, change them.
mepstein
QUOTE(Porschef @ Mar 7 2020, 08:45 AM) *

Yes, but then you’ve got to bend them, fit them, bend them again, unless you have a template. Chris’ lines are plug and play, and really are cheap insurance.

When I replaced mine, the plastic section in the tunnel was fine; in the engine bay, not so much. In fact, when I gave them a bend, one snapped like a dry twig.

No one wants to deal with a care fire, especially when it’s avoidable. However you do it, change them.

The tangerine lines fit perfectly. That alone is worth the money. But they also look great and will never rust or corrode. Sometimes it's nice to have the best part for your Porsche, not just the cheapest.

It is possible to fit the lines without dropping the engine.
dlee6204
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 7 2020, 09:09 AM) *

QUOTE(Porschef @ Mar 7 2020, 08:45 AM) *

No one wants to deal with a care fire, especially when it’s avoidable. However you do it, change them.

The tangerine lines fit perfectly. That alone is worth the money. But they also look great and will never rust or corrode. Sometimes it's nice to have the best part for your Porsche, not just the cheapest.

It is possible to fit the lines without dropping the engine.

Don’t get me wrong, I have stainless lines on my nice 914 and steel on my driver. I’m merely pointing out the fact that stainless is not required and steel is still a safe, cheap alternative. There’s only two or 3 bends to make and they’re not too critical. Steel will likely outlive the car anyway.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.