Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Help wiring fuel pump, fuel injection to carbs
n2j2ryan
post Mar 10 2020, 11:07 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,740
Region Association: Canada

I have a 72 which had a 1.7 wired for fuel pump with injectors. I now have a 2.0 with carbs and a new fuel pump from tangerine. I have been reading the other posts, but am not a great mechanic so I want to just make sure of a couple of things.
1. From what I understand the wire currently running to the fuel pump will not work as it is constantly hot?
2. What is the best way to bring power to the fuel pump?
3. What should I do with the hot wire? Could I use that to run my heated seats? (sorry, I am really not too keen on electrical). Is this something I should be hiring someone with a bit more knowledge to complete?
Thanks for all of your help. Getting really close to having a running car after 3 years!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
n2j2ryan
post Mar 10 2020, 11:31 PM
Post #2

Just after posting I found Andy's article which seems to answer all my questions...
Could still use some help figuring out how to bring power to the heated seats though!
+Quote Post
HansJan
post Mar 10 2020, 11:45 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 19,860
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(n2j2ryan @ Mar 11 2020, 12:31 AM) *

Just after posting I found Andy's article which seems to answer all my questions...
Could still use some help figuring out how to bring power to the heated seats though!

I believe that the seat heaters can be powered from the same source as the backup sensors.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Mar 10 2020, 11:55 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995
Region Association: None

QUOTE(n2j2ryan @ Mar 11 2020, 06:31 PM) *

Excellent,so much info on here,make sure have the right pump,the CB Performance/Carter rotary is the best option which makes 3.5PSI which is fine but I found mine made more than that so I had already fitted a low pressure Holley fuel regulator and dropped my pressure to 3.0 + PSI and no issues.
Make sure your original fuel and voltage control relays are good and you will be golden,please use quality fuel line and FI hose clamps so we don't see a burnt car on here...sounds tough but fairly common with a 914.
Good Luck.
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post Mar 11 2020, 06:54 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,565
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(HansJan @ Mar 11 2020, 12:45 AM) *

I believe that the seat heaters can be powered from the same source as the backup sensors.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
n2j2ryan
post Mar 11 2020, 10:15 AM
Post #6

QUOTE(porschetub @ Mar 10 2020, 10:55 PM) *

QUOTE(n2j2ryan @ Mar 11 2020, 06:31 PM) *

Excellent,so much info on here,make sure have the right pump,the CB Performance/Carter rotary is the best option which makes 3.5PSI which is fine but I found mine made more than that so I had already fitted a low pressure Holley fuel regulator and dropped my pressure to 3.0 + PSI and no issues.
Make sure your original fuel and voltage control relays are good and you will be golden,please use quality fuel line and FI hose clamps so we don't see a burnt car on here...sounds tough but fairly common with a 914.
Good Luck.

Great info and help. I did purchase the stainless fuel lines as well so I am assuming those are good quality. Thanks
+Quote Post
n2j2ryan
post Mar 11 2020, 10:21 AM
Post #7

QUOTE(HansJan @ Mar 10 2020, 10:45 PM) *

Thanks. That was very helpful! Unfortunately my back up sensors are already hooked up with the power windows and sunroof so I will have to find another source.
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post Mar 12 2020, 05:39 AM
Post #8

bdstone914

Member No.: 1,319

@n2j2ryan :
' date='Mar 11 2020, 09:21 AM' post='2793198']
[quote name='HansJan' post='2793085' date='Mar 10 2020, 10:45 PM']
[quote name='n2j2ryan' post='2793084' date='Mar 11 2020, 12:31 AM']
[/quote]

[/quote]
Thanks. That was very helpful! Unfortunately my back up sensors are already hooked up with the power windows and sunroof so I will have to find another source.
[/quote]

How much power do the seat heaters pull? I would be concerned that the circuit that you use can safely carry the load.
Bruce
+Quote Post
n2j2ryan
post Mar 14 2020, 08:18 PM
Post #9

[quote name='bdstone914' date='Mar 12 2020, 04:39 AM' post='2793407']
@n2j2ryan :
' date='Mar 11 2020, 09:21 AM' post='2793198']
[quote name='HansJan' post='2793085' date='Mar 10 2020, 10:45 PM']
[quote name='n2j2ryan' post='2793084' date='Mar 11 2020, 12:31 AM']
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

How much power do the seat heaters pull? I would be concerned that the circuit that you use can safely carry the load.
Bruce

Thanks Bruce
That is something that I will have to check out. I know quite a few guys up here have them so it is definitely doable. I think I will wait until I get the rest of the gremlins sorted out before I tackle them.
[/quote]
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th May 2024 - 06:59 AM