Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

31 Pages V « < 5 6 7 8 9 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Any shelter in place projects ? non-914 is OK !, what are you working on ?
euro911
post Mar 27 2020, 05:08 PM
Post #121

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

Nice Targa, 'Goob' ( @Larmo63 ) ... pix of the Bat Cave? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

@markhoward ... the front end should lower itself fine after you install the hood, grille & bumper assemblies (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Cool little teardrop, Doug ( @dlee6204 )

Keep them projects coming ...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
9one4tay
post Mar 27 2020, 05:18 PM
Post #122

Member No.: 23,825
Region Association: Northern California

Getting this 74' 2.0 going after a 27 year hibernation:

New gas tank
New clutch kit/flywheel
New engine/trans mounts
New fuel pump relocated up frunk
New shift bushings
New vacuum lines
Rebuilt distributor/electronic ignition
Tangerine Racing ss fuel lines
and lots of other small bits

Looking to buy a 2.0 ECU mounting Bracket if anyone has one

Travis

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Betty
post Mar 27 2020, 09:13 PM
Post #123

Driver

Member No.: 3,255
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(dlee6204 @ Mar 27 2020, 05:58 PM) *

Been putting the finishing touches on my teardrop trailer. I just have some headliner material to install on the interior and then it’ll be ready. I built everything from scratch. Aluminum trailer and the body is all foam. The entire thing weighs 200-300 lbs. I built it to tow behind anything.

More pictures? Interior too? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
markhoward
post Mar 27 2020, 09:39 PM
Post #124

Member No.: 20,897

QUOTE(euro911 @ Mar 27 2020, 04:08 PM) *

Nice Targa, 'Goob' ( @Larmo63 ) ... pix of the Bat Cave? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

@markhoward ... the front end should lower itself fine after you install the hood, grille & bumper assemblies (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Cool little teardrop, Doug ( @dlee6204 )

Keep them projects coming ...

It did settle some but the few hunid pounds off the front is definitely showing. @dlee6204 , looking forward to those interior shots..
+Quote Post
djway
post Mar 28 2020, 12:28 AM
Post #125

Member No.: 19,266

QUOTE(Unpretentious @ Mar 26 2020, 07:27 AM) *

Heard a Dr. on TV saying in this time of Coronavirus staying at home we should focus on inner peace.

To achieve this we should always finish things we start and we all could use more calm in our lives.

I looked through my house to find things I’d started and hadn't finished, so I finished off a bottle of Merlot, a bottle of Chardonnay, a bodle of Baileys, a butle of wum, tha mainder of Valiumun srciptuns, an a box a chocletz.

Yu haf no idr how feckin fablus I feel rite now. Sned this to thuzl who need inner piss. An telum u luvum. And two hash yer wands, stafe day avrybobby!!!

The Dude Abides
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Mar 28 2020, 04:33 PM
Post #126

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995
Region Association: None

Finishing some odd jobs on my house which is now on the market,one reason for selling is it is very isolated ,however that is sadly an advantage now as we are locked down.
Any work is limited as I can't buy materials except online which is a real PITA.
Repaired my old faithful Bosch 5" angle grinder as I'am fitting a towbar to my VW T4 Tranporter van,for some reason the towbar was missing except for the bolt on chassis plates but all the wiring was tucked up under the bumper so at least I don't have to do that (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) .
Will see how I go but may move the 914 home from storage and do outstanding overdue jobs.
Keen to do more work but my head space is wrong,anyway got to pass the time somehow,we have 1 month I strongly suspect it may be extended (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) .
+Quote Post
914forme
post Mar 28 2020, 07:22 PM
Post #127

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

Since the Virus does not like heat or UV-3, I figured what would make me the safest guy on the planet.

Some welding, so out came the TIG and MIG, and we started to weld, and weld, and weld some more.

First thing I did was weld up a gantry crane, we had one at the farm shop for years I forgot how handy they are for everyday tasks. IT is still not ready for prime time pictures but I pressed it into service today, lifting some gas cylinders, righting a tool box I had on its side wot weld up a ZTFab welding cart.

Attached Image

Of course I could not leave well enough alone, and decided to change the mounts for the axles so they have a bit more meat to hold them true. And then I don't like safe chains as my main way of keeping a bootle on the cart, so I took some bottle wall mounts, and fabricated a mount so they work on the cart. I got them from my welding supplier they were 17, and 22 respectfully, less than the cost for me to fabricate them. Bottles going no where.

Attached Image

Everything loaded up on the US General tool cabinet. I used to have all of this on two craftsmen boxes. They will be repurposed for a bench I am building.

Attached Image

Next I picked up a quick jack right before our governor tossed us into lock down. Paid $500 for the 7000 lbs version. Issue is it is not easy to move. So I saw an idea on the internet, and I decided it was to complicated. I had these from an outfield stand, and well they never out feed correctly, and two I am using them to support long picks of tube and steel so I can fixture on the welding bench. So I had a bunch of them.

Attached Image

Mounted them to the lift arms, so that when it comes down the weight of the lift is a fulcrum and the wheels will lift the bottom of the lift up about 1/4"

Attached Image

Now it is easy to move around the shop.

Attached Image

Thats all for today, hopefully get back out tomorrow go through stuff and cleanup a bit. Need to get lawn equipment in for service, and winter tires off the 7 series. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) Means I can (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) like I like to.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
euro911
post Mar 29 2020, 01:53 PM
Post #128

I guess I could have posted this in either the 'shelter me' or 'not working on the 914' threads (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

The Ghia died a few months ago and had it 'AAA'd' home for diagnosis. After testing different components, found the root cause to be a worn out ignition switch. Digging through the rat's nest of wiring behind the dash made it apparent that this was not it's first rodeo (due to all the butt connectors found). Not only had the electrical portion of the switch fail, but the tumbler assembly would not stay in the barrel and came out with the key at times, so I purchased both new components last month.

Yesterday, I replaced the switch components and wired into the harness, and made some minor repairs to the instrument cluster in the speedo (the lower lamp assembly wouldn't stay in it's socket, so I secured it in place with liquid tape) ... and re-inserted the other lamp sockets that had become dislodged during my poking around in there (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Attached Image

Attached Image

It was also missing the lower dash/knee pad, so I had ordered a new EMPI pad when I ordered the switch stuff. My wife assisted, holding the pad in place whilst I crawled into the trunk to attach the washers & nuts - which was a royal PITA. I have the scars on my arms and hands to prove it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Reinstalled the new turn signal switch (that I replaced a couple months ago) and the steering wheel just before nightfall. In any event, everything worked out OK ... and if the battery still has enough oomph, I'll see if it'll start up today (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Daryl32
post Mar 29 2020, 03:29 PM
Post #129

Member No.: 23,827

I have a garage full of 1/24th and 1/10th scale projects to keep me busy.

Just not sure where to start. They all need cleaning the playing with! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Mar 29 2020, 03:56 PM
Post #130

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241

I made not quite matching "his & hers" computer stands for use with our smart trainers.
Nice to be able to find a use for a few roll cage left overs!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Mar 29 2020, 04:33 PM
Post #131

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Mar 29 2020, 05:56 PM) *

I made not quite matching "his & hers" computer stands for use with our smart trainers.
Nice to be able to find a use for a few roll cage left overs!

OK, now I'm jealous. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Mar 29 2020, 06:22 PM
Post #132

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

I spent Saturday and Sunday replacing the exhaust manifold on my Jeep Comanche.

I replaced the exhaust manifold with the broken stud with a header. They moved the O2 sensor bung to the other side of the truck, so I had to strip the harness and move the wires for the O2 sensor to run down the right side of the bell housing. The pictures are me sitting in the engine compartment removing the electrical tape from the harness.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Turns out the EGR tube twisted off the threads on the fitting for the mainfold side of the tube. I braved the outside world, and bought some steel rod. I used it to make 2 pipe plugs (Nothing is available in M22x1.5 at our local Ace hardware). I own a M22x1.5 die, so I threaded the rod, then cut it off and ground a 13mm section on the end so it had square flats on it. I screwed them into the EGR connection on the bottom of the mainfold, and into the header's EGR port. This will have to do until I can get the right fitting to replace on the end of the old EGR tube.

I put everything back together. In the process I found out the header now blocks one bolt that holds both the header and the intake manifold to the head. I dropped that ^$%@%$^%@ bold 28 times (Yes, I was counting) before I finally got it started. I had to tighten it from the bottom with an open end wrench. Dropped the wrench a few times, one right smack in the center of my forehead. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

I am tired, bloody and battered. But the exhaust leak I had is now fixed. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Mar 29 2020, 07:10 PM
Post #133

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 22 2020, 08:37 PM) *

QUOTE(aturboman @ Mar 22 2020, 08:14 PM) *

Hi Rory I restored a rare early 914-6 drivers seat adjuster.

These are the straight arm style with different knob and brass adjustment finger.

I’m saving my HO train build for retirement

I had forgotten there was an early version. I'll have to check my '70 four that I'm parting out.

Ok. Found one. I might have more but that would require more digging.
It’s not as pretty as yours.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
mbseto
post Mar 30 2020, 11:14 AM
Post #134

Member No.: 17,743
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Mar 24 2020, 08:44 AM) *

QUOTE(mbseto @ Mar 23 2020, 07:39 PM) *

Re-stocking a 30's era Mauser.

I have a few gun cleaning projects to do as well, wish our range was open!, and I spy that Buffalo trace and a Blanton's!! so far I only have 4 of the Blanton tops, not available here in SC I have to grab those when I go to NC to see my son or up to Cincy to see the nephew and their kids. in fact just to get a Buffalo trace I had to get on a list during holiday and they got an allocated shipment and they called me to pick up my bottle! crazy how different availability of bourbon differs from state to state!!;- so enjoy and have a shot for me.

I know you are in Cincy, as is my nephew, so you guys have way better access for that and other Buffalo trace and Stitzle-Weller products! My fav is the Weller Antique 107, but I did have some Pappy this past Weekend!!!!! - heard it kills viruses if the proof is over 120 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Good eye, @DRPHIL914 . Buffalo Trace has been tricky to find here since their little warehouse scandal. Not sure if that was the cause. But my kid has been going to school down near Nashville, so when I go to visit I must drive a good portion of the bourbon trail. Just trying to be a good dad. South of Louisville they are never out of anything and the prices are about 15-20% better than here, so I make sure to stock up. I'll drink to your health!
+Quote Post
mb911
post Mar 30 2020, 01:02 PM
Post #135

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Finished most of the basement now.. Attached ImageAttached Image
+Quote Post
theer
post Mar 30 2020, 01:19 PM
Post #136

Member No.: 19,014
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 29 2020, 09:10 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 22 2020, 08:37 PM) *

QUOTE(aturboman @ Mar 22 2020, 08:14 PM) *

Hi Rory I restored a rare early 914-6 drivers seat adjuster.

These are the straight arm style with different knob and brass adjustment finger.

I’m saving my HO train build for retirement

I had forgotten there was an early version. I'll have to check my '70 four that I'm parting out.

Ok. Found one. I might have more but that would require more digging.
It’s not as pretty as yours.

I have one, too from an early (1970) parts car. Mine is more like Mark's in terms of condition.
+Quote Post
euro911
post Mar 30 2020, 01:59 PM
Post #137

The remodel looks great, Ben. What did your basement look like before?
+Quote Post
mb911
post Mar 30 2020, 02:29 PM
Post #138

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(euro911 @ Mar 30 2020, 11:59 AM) *

The remodel looks great, Ben. What did your basement look like before?

@euro911 it was just bare concrete.. We moved in the 21st of January this year and got all this done in short order.. Attached Image
+Quote Post
North Coast Jim
post Mar 30 2020, 04:15 PM
Post #139

Member No.: 19,450

Went to Home "Projects" again today. I'm surprised at the amount of paint flying off the shelves. The couples buying it have the female with a big smile and the male partner with a frown on his face. I buy nothing but guaranteed "10 year" paint. No color changed allowed during that period. Ha Ha
+Quote Post
913B
post Mar 30 2020, 10:08 PM
Post #140

Member No.: 3,983

QUOTE(914forme @ Mar 28 2020, 08:22 PM) *

Since the Virus does not like heat or UV-3, I figured what would make me the safest guy on the planet.

Some welding, so out came the TIG and MIG, and we started to weld, and weld, and weld some more.

First thing I did was weld up a gantry crane, we had one at the farm shop for years I forgot how handy they are for everyday tasks. IT is still not ready for prime time pictures but I pressed it into service today, lifting some gas cylinders, righting a tool box I had on its side wot weld up a ZTFab welding cart.

Attached Image

Of course I could not leave well enough alone, and decided to change the mounts for the axles so they have a bit more meat to hold them true. And then I don't like safe chains as my main way of keeping a bootle on the cart, so I took some bottle wall mounts, and fabricated a mount so they work on the cart. I got them from my welding supplier they were 17, and 22 respectfully, less than the cost for me to fabricate them. Bottles going no where.

Attached Image

Everything loaded up on the US General tool cabinet. I used to have all of this on two craftsmen boxes. They will be repurposed for a bench I am building.

Attached Image

Next I picked up a quick jack right before our governor tossed us into lock down. Paid $500 for the 7000 lbs version. Issue is it is not easy to move. So I saw an idea on the internet, and I decided it was to complicated. I had these from an outfield stand, and well they never out feed correctly, and two I am using them to support long picks of tube and steel so I can fixture on the welding bench. So I had a bunch of them.

Attached Image

Mounted them to the lift arms, so that when it comes down the weight of the lift is a fulcrum and the wheels will lift the bottom of the lift up about 1/4"

Attached Image

Now it is easy to move around the shop.

Attached Image

Thats all for today, hopefully get back out tomorrow go through stuff and cleanup a bit. Need to get lawn equipment in for service, and winter tires off the 7 series. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) Means I can (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) like I like to.

I like your roller bearing hack on the QJ. Can I ask you a few questions if you don't mind? Approximately how far from the hole did you install the bearing? Also is there a nut holding the screw inside the QJ rail, probably not I am thinking. Did you use a self-tapping screw or maybe you made some threads in the bar to screw it in.
Sorry for all the questions. I found an inexpensive equivalent from harbor freight and thought this would make moving the QJ around easier.

Thank you for your input.
Ted
+Quote Post

31 Pages V « < 5 6 7 8 9 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:08 AM