Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

31 Pages V « < 10 11 12 13 14 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Any shelter in place projects ? non-914 is OK !, what are you working on ?
euro911
post Apr 8 2020, 07:40 PM
Post #221

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

Being a HAM radio nerd, I wanted to install a VHF/UHF two-way radio in the Cayman. I received the hatchback antenna mount in the mail this morning, so I rounded up the needed length coax cable and connectors, and installed the antenna this afternoon.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Still need to find the ideal place to install the radio and run the power wiring from the battery to it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post Apr 9 2020, 09:44 AM
Post #222

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,755
Region Association: None

On the way to picking up some Essential hardware for bldg. maint , just outside DTLA area. Novel street intersection for these times I'd say (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif) Odd that the #s appearing on both street names (running 2 diff directions) appear identical ¡
Attached Image
+Quote Post
sb914
post Apr 9 2020, 10:28 AM
Post #223

Surf Guru

Member No.: 15,191

QUOTE(euro911 @ Apr 8 2020, 06:40 PM) *

Being a HAM radio nerd, I wanted to install a VHF/UHF two-way radio in the Cayman. I received the hatchback antenna mount in the mail this morning, so I rounded up the needed length coax cable and connectors, and installed the antenna this afternoon.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Still need to find the ideal place to install the radio and run the power wiring from the battery to it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
my dad used to have a ham radio back in the 70s. We used to go to shakeys pizza to meet some of the people we were talking to. My “Handel” was “warm finger” (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
What’s your Handel mark ?
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Apr 9 2020, 12:50 PM
Post #224

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(sb914 @ Apr 9 2020, 11:28 AM) *

QUOTE(euro911 @ Apr 8 2020, 06:40 PM) *

Attached Image

Attached Image

my dad used to have a ham radio back in the 70s. We used to go to shakeys pizza to meet some of the people we were talking to. My “Handel” was “warm finger” (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
What’s your Handel mark ?

Actually,your dad was probably talking on a CB. A "Handle" was used by CB radio operators instead of their names. People who actually get an amateur radio license use their call sign as required by law. Mine is "KC5 HCV". I let it lapse a while back, and I need to renew it.

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
euro911
post Apr 9 2020, 07:41 PM
Post #225

Yep, 'handles' were a CB (11 meters) thing. I got into CB when I was in the 2nd grade (in 1962) ... walkie talkies, then expanded into the real world in 1965 - bought a 5-channel Halicrafters CB-20 mobile that my dad & I installed in his '65 Chevy pickup.

I could only afford the radio from my lawn mowing money, so my dad bought the antenna, spring, cable and ball mount. He also had to apply for the license (KCO-6160), because I was only 11 years old. Got out of it in the mid~late 70s as college, work, women and a Porsche 911 started taking up my time (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Got back into 11 meters in the late 80s, then got a 'Tech+' Amateur (HAM) license in the late 90s. Upgraded to 'General' Class several years later, and 'Extra' Class a few years ago (KF6IRK).

( @sb914 ) - As for my 'handle', I've had a few different ones over the years. During the early 70s, it was 'Pot Head' (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif) and 'Uncle Jam' - everybody just called me 'UJ', and 'Godzilla' at times ... then there was a SSB (single sideband) number: 'Wiskey November 911' on the free-band.

Funny, a lot of my HAM friends have recently resurrected their old CB stations, so I joined in too. We operate on channel 38 (27.385) LSB (lower sideband) as 'Kapt Irk', or '901' every now & then (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

The mess in the CA garage now ...

Attached Image

I still restore old tube CB & HAM radios when progress on all my other projects are held up ...

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Apr 9 2020, 11:59 PM
Post #226

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

I have had these 3D metal kits for years.

Finally got around to start on them tonight.

The ship is cheaper made in China kit, maybe 2 hours to build it.

The plane is a higher end Japanese kit. More detail and I also taking the time to file off the tabs that are left from removing from the flat sheet.

3 hours so far on the plane. I'll work on it tomorrow night.

Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
SixerJ
post Apr 10 2020, 07:20 AM
Post #227

Member No.: 16,042
Region Association: England

It’s been long overdue to stop using the basement as a bike and ski / boot room....

Scrapped some crappy cupboards from the front to make space

Ikea kitchen cabinets around the workbench at the back

Horizontal Unistrut rails on the walls as flexible fixing points, couple of Steadyracks (excellent BTW) for the bikes and chopped down M12 bolts with PVC tube slipped over to protect the skis

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Apr 10 2020, 10:12 AM
Post #228

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

Nice job on that remodel. I've been wanting to store my bokes like that, I'll have to look at thoses mounts.
+Quote Post
SixerJ
post Apr 10 2020, 10:50 AM
Post #229

Member No.: 16,042
Region Association: England

QUOTE(Mueller @ Apr 10 2020, 05:12 PM) *

Nice job on that remodel. I've been wanting to store my bokes like that, I'll have to look at thoses mounts.

Not the cheapest racks, but not outrageously expensive and really saves space.

I went for the standard rack and it works fine with the road and middle of the road MTB tyre widths.

The outside edge of the mountain bike handlebars is 27” from the wall. Would probably get a little closer without the skis in the way / I have narrower bars than the newest MTB bike mind.
+Quote Post
Morph914
post Apr 10 2020, 12:42 PM
Post #230

Member No.: 20,326
Region Association: South East States

Due to the current situation, I have made much progress on my body and paint work and now have it close to ready for the paint shop. I have done all the body work and painted all the interior and underside areas, but will have all the exterior panels done by a pro.Attached Image
+Quote Post
TravisNeff
post Apr 10 2020, 12:58 PM
Post #231

914 Guru

Member No.: 447
Region Association: Southwest Region

Reworking the interior on Jen's car. Had to rebuild the driver seat and frame. Sewing by hand was a challenge. All the stitching came loose on the side lower side bolsters and when I pulled off the covers from the foam the stitching came loose on all the pleats.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Retroracer
post Apr 10 2020, 02:41 PM
Post #232

Member No.: 16,100
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

GT FUEL GAUGE SHENANIGANS

So I found an 80's 60mm VDO fuel gauge NOS on eBay - which I bought for for $32. Why would I do that?

As you may know, the 914/6 GT cars used a black faced, chrome dot, 60mm VDO fuel gauge with an empty tank indicator. It looks way cool and is one of those collection of things that people in the know will look for as they glance into any GT cockpit, to see how far the owner/builder went in their search to be truthful to the factory cars. I've seen recreations of these listed for $1500 on eBay. Which is mental. There is no way on earth I'm going to pay that much for one!

In order to duplicate this "rare as hens teeth and twice as pricey" piece from what I bought, I will need to:

- change the fascia from white to black, with correct lettering / ticks
- change the black dot indictor to chrome dot
- add a second bulb assembly for the EMPTY indicator
- change the electrical working range from 0-180 ohms to the 914 sender (5-90ohms?)
- paint the internal bezel ring black

So quite the list, then. On the other hand, what else can I work on? And, if it all goes horribly wrong, I'm down $32. Worse things could happen.

So here is a sequence of pics showing some of the above being addressed:

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

The raised mounting on the can for the dial illumination is flattened and machined out to allow for 2 VDO older style illumination bulbs. These will be mounted in a custom back panel machined from aluminum, the secured to the can with two M3 machine screws.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

So all that to sort out the EMPTY indicator mounting, and not much of the other "to do" items....!

More to come as some ordered parts need to arrive, and some electrical test & design work is completed.

TO BE CONTINUED...

- Tony

+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Apr 10 2020, 02:54 PM
Post #233

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

nice find...anxious to see more..
+Quote Post
914forme
post Apr 10 2020, 07:10 PM
Post #234

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

Today I replaced the spindle on our 72" deck Zero Turn commercial unit. The gantry crane came in quite handy, lifted the mower off the deck, pulled the deck out, lowered the mower, lift the deck. Had it all done in about an hour. Lowered the deck, lifted the more, moved the deck back under the mower, and lowered the mower.

Man I love having a crane again.

All that so the wife can take it out, and cut grass at 10 MPH, that mower is a beast.
+Quote Post
euro911
post Apr 10 2020, 08:36 PM
Post #235

Whilst out on a drive a few nights ago, looked like the Cayman developed a small coolant leak. I checked the coolant level when we got home - added a 1/2 quart of distilled water to bring it up to the MAX level.

I got it up on the lift and removed the underbody panels today.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Will start it up and look for the source of the leak tomorrow. Hoping it's just a failing O-ring in one of the tubing connectors, but will fix whatever it needs. May be replacing all of the O-rings, and any hoses as needed. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
Targa70
post Apr 10 2020, 09:31 PM
Post #236

Member No.: 15,683

Made 4 Easter Slingshots for my kids.Attached Image
+Quote Post
Jett
post Apr 10 2020, 09:38 PM
Post #237

Member No.: 17,686

Ensuring that the squirrels have a place to eat. Bought this off Etsy

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Apr 11 2020, 07:52 AM
Post #238

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

Jett - I am definitely not showing that to my wife. We have a large back yard with huge redwoods surrounding it and have squirrels all over the place. She wants me to make a large squirrel house so they have nice place to stay out of the weather.....yeah, they do just fine in the trees. Nice job - I know the little buggers will love it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Jett
post Apr 11 2020, 08:05 AM
Post #239

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Apr 11 2020, 06:52 AM) *

Jett - I am definitely not showing that to my wife. We have a large back yard with huge redwoods surrounding it and have squirrels all over the place. She wants me to make a large squirrel house so they have nice place to stay out of the weather.....yeah, they do just fine in the trees. Nice job - I know the little buggers will love it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Lol I hear you, my wife has a 25lb bag of nuts that we go thru every three months. And yes there is talk of a squirrel condo as well (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Jett
post Apr 11 2020, 08:12 AM
Post #240

My friend installed our NOS Bamberg in the 77 targa, and the dictation works (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif). We love the uniqueness of these old cars (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif). Finding the matching power antenna was a challenge.

The car is close to finished, but looks happy in the sun

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post

31 Pages V « < 10 11 12 13 14 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 02:21 PM