Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

31 Pages V « < 17 18 19 20 21 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Any shelter in place projects ? non-914 is OK !, what are you working on ?
euro911
post Apr 25 2020, 02:42 PM
Post #361

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

Got a little more done on the laundry room yesterday. Not as much as hoped, but we had extremely warm temperatures and and hour delay due to another issue (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Apr 25 2020, 03:42 PM
Post #362

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

Hey Mark- That's going to look very nice. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Toby
post Apr 26 2020, 06:10 AM
Post #363

Member No.: 15,566
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Hi guys. I'm new to the forum although must have registered before. I have a new project about to get started that has some design elements of the 914, but because they are getting hard to find, will not be a 914, it will use a new(er) VW bug.

For background, my most fun 914 was a 1970 with 1.7 and duel Weber carbs. In a rust repair, I set it on fire and toasted the entire interior. 4 more were never the same. It was a great and fun car to cruise but after buying 3 speeding tickets, was time to quit. Now 30 years later, I want to use some design, like the rear swing arm and build a bug that will be like nobody else.

It's going to be a mid engine like any self respecting 914. I just scored a supercharged Pontiac Bonneville (PB) 3.8 with transmission and have to do some work to keep a running setup with the OEM Pontiac computer. The donor will give it's hubs, disk brakes, bearings, shafts and many other parts. The heavy front brakes on the donor PB will be incorporated into both the front and rear with the hubs, making it potential to have an electric front motor in the years ahead, since the PB is front drive.

I'm starting the swing arm rear and need some details. I don't have any parts or a (914) car to refer to, so may ask some redundant questions.

It looks like the front body mounts (of the 914 rear suspension) are at about a 15 degree angle to the axle, so I'm starting there to work in the bearing and brakes from the PB. Most used parts are just to get design and new components will go into the final build. Calipers and some parts from the PB will be used, reconditioned.

I'm not sure what parts of the PB steering will be used or if the design meets my "like a 914" criteria. Please make suggestions for any front suspension that you think would be a good choice.

I have a new style bug located, non runner, that is cheap enough to start cutting in half for the mid engine mount and frame build.

I hope you have some great comments and advise. I call this my "bug out" project and will be painting it flat green or camo to match my M35A3 4x4 army truck. Pictures will come later.

By the way, I had the CV19 in January (I'm convinced) and now huff Ever Clear regularly in hopes of not getting it back.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Apr 26 2020, 07:32 AM
Post #364

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) Sounds interesting. Look forward to seeing your project as you move along. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Toby
post Apr 26 2020, 09:26 AM
Post #365

Member No.: 15,566
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Apr 26 2020, 05:32 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) Sounds interesting. Look forward to seeing your project as you move along. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Thanks Cairo94507. I've been looking for a forum to get some feedback and would be doing this to a 914, but they have gotten harder to get and many are severely rusted. Or they bring a premium price. My budget makes me more of a "make it look nice rat rod type of build".

Please help with some of the technical issues that I will come across as I fab the suspension, brakes, cooling heating etc. Like do you recommend the same front suspension geometry? Should I keep the air conditioner compressor?

More than anything, I hope someone would keep me from making a major mistake. I've been an inventor for about 45 years, so can solve most of my problems....but not the big bucks it takes to get a ready to go 914 ride.

I'll try to post a couple pictures of my M35 4x4 build and M929A2 to get acquainted with posting pictures here. Everyone like pictures.

Thanks again, toby
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Apr 26 2020, 09:35 AM
Post #366

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(euro911 @ Apr 25 2020, 04:42 PM) *

Got a little more done on the laundry room yesterday. Not as much as hoped, but we had extremely warm temperatures and and hour delay due to another issue (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Attached Image

Omg, no snow loads there, or a need to worry about ice build up!
My roof framing needs to be much bigger!
+Quote Post
preach
post Apr 26 2020, 09:39 AM
Post #367

Ridge Runner

Member No.: 11,513

QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 26 2020, 11:35 AM) *

We live in quite a different climate.
+Quote Post
euro911
post Apr 27 2020, 09:23 AM
Post #368

Cool project Toby ... looking forward to watching the build process (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yep, no heavy snow loads (or any snow for that matter) here on the west coast, but the required support/bracing will be done once the old flat roof planks and rafters are cut out and new ceiling joists are in place at 8' AFF* ... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) - We did the same process (8' ceilings) for our music room/den back in 2018 ... it originally had a low flat roof too, although we built up the gable roof portion about 25 years ago.

Attached Image

It was nice to finally have a real ceiling it that room ...

Attached Image

My friends, Greg and Carl, and I took the w/e off from the construction, but my wife & I weren't sitting idle, we cleaned up the demo remnants for transport to the disposal facility (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)

Once the roof is all done, we'll start in on the inside work, building a new raise floor* to match the height of the existing house floor. The laundry room is a slab floor, 9" below the house floor now. Then there's the window replacement, electrical rework, insulation & drywall stuff to do (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

Want to get this all done before the rainy season hits, so just about everything else has been pushed to the back burner, including car stuff (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Apr 27 2020, 09:33 AM
Post #369

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

Finally got around to making a moving monitor and keyboard arm for my mill. For the last few years I had it on a small table, what a pain due to the crapped space on that side of the garage.

The white square tube is 2"□ x .1875 thick wall, not going to bend or flex.
I ordered some polycarbonate sheet over the weekend, onve I get tjat I will start build an enclosure for the mill.

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Apr 27 2020, 09:35 AM
Post #370

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Changed the oil on the Bug and took a small road trip (Chuckanut). Easy to stay Socially distanced from everyone using drive-thru. Did a short flight later to check out the one or two Tulip fields (no Tulip Festival this year).

Very fun day and nice to get out of the house for a bit.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Apr 27 2020, 07:24 PM
Post #371

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

Been busy doing stuff I had no time for until lockdown,refited drivers side door panel after putting strips of sound deadening inside the door...no more tinny sound when closing door.
Been hunting in my lost treasure collection a found rebuilt set of rebuilt rear roof latches,was really surprised how worn out the old ones were,all pivot pins flogged out and lots of tension lost for that reason...I put it down to body flex on my shitty entrance rough road.
Test fitted them and a huge difference.
Attached Image
Bruce Stone did a great job on these ,credit due (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) .
Targa pad was looking worse for wear and tried to tidy up but found it was covered in leather,peeled that off and found one large crack but cleaned up it looks better than before.
Will do some basic repairs to pad and when my trimmer gets back to work I will get the right fabric to recover it.
+Quote Post
euro911
post Apr 27 2020, 08:52 PM
Post #372

More playing with lumber ... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Specracer
post Apr 28 2020, 04:12 AM
Post #373

Member No.: 20,970

I was thinking the exact same thing!

[/quote]
[/quote]
+Quote Post
preach
post Apr 28 2020, 05:26 AM
Post #374

Ridge Runner

Member No.: 11,513

QUOTE(euro911 @ Apr 27 2020, 11:23 AM) *

Attached Image

Nice banjo uke. Mine is a Wizard from approx 1927. Has a song written in it as well:

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Morph914
post Apr 28 2020, 08:40 PM
Post #375

Member No.: 20,326
Region Association: South East States

Attached Image Attached Image Fuel pump on the Astro went out. Not a fun job, the tank had to be removed to get to the pump. A sigh of relief was had when the key was turned and the sweet sound of the pump priming the engine was heard. And of course the engine fired off immediately. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

+Quote Post
djway
post Apr 28 2020, 10:15 PM
Post #376

Member No.: 19,266

Attached Image
For the type IV motor going into my Notchback I found this 150 amp Alternator. I need to slightly modify the mount so that the pulley lines up better with the fan pulley and I also need to modify the slide mount to compensate for the difference in distance between the mounting holes.
Single wire, internal fan.
They put the wire lug as a side mount, I guessed wrong and asked for 3 o clock when I should have asked for 9 but there is still plenty of room.
The picture was oriented correctly on my computer but rotated here for some reason.
+Quote Post
914e
post Apr 28 2020, 10:22 PM
Post #377

Member No.: 23,951
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Apr 27 2020, 08:35 AM) *

Changed the oil on the Bug and took a small road trip (Chuckanut). Easy to stay Socially distanced from everyone using drive-thru. Did a short flight later to check out the one or two Tulip fields (no Tulip Festival this year).

Very fun day and nice to get out of the house for a bit.

Nice Bug. My son and I did the last drive of car season Sunday in the Bug. Pulled it in behind the 914 and put a cover on it. With luck cars and coffee can start back up soon.
+Quote Post
euro911
post Apr 29 2020, 12:12 AM
Post #378

QUOTE(preach @ Apr 28 2020, 04:26 AM) *
Nice banjo uke. Mine is a Wizard from approx 1927. Has a song written in it as well:

Attached Image

Attached Image

Cool. Don't see these old relics too often these days. A friend made this cool little 3-string for me a couple years ago ...

Attached Image

Otherwise, still working on the remodel. Roof framing almost done, should be done by tomorrow ... then demo the old flat roof & install new ceiling joists at 8'.

We built the gable with a long overhang, as we'll be adding another 2' addition at some point in the future. The existing bathroom (only a toilet & shower) is really small and my wife wants to add a sink and storage cabinets for bathroom related stuff. Some of these 100+ year old houses just weren't built with very much storage space, if at all.

Before:

Attached Image

Current status:

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Nogoodwithusernames
post Apr 29 2020, 12:21 PM
Post #379

Member No.: 20,051

QUOTE(djway @ Apr 28 2020, 09:15 PM) *

Attached Image
For the type IV motor going into my Notchback I found this 150 amp Alternator. I need to slightly modify the mount so that the pulley lines up better with the fan pulley and I also need to modify the slide mount to compensate for the difference in distance between the mounting holes.
They put the wire lug as a side mount, I guessed wrong and asked for 3 o clock when I should have asked for 9 but there is still plenty of room.
The picture was oriented correctly on my computer but rotated here for some reason.

@djway do you have a build thread going on anywhere for that? I'm working on a conversion for my Squareback right now and would love to see how you're doing it.
+Quote Post
djway
post Apr 29 2020, 10:18 PM
Post #380

Member No.: 19,266

QUOTE(Nogoodwithusernames @ Apr 29 2020, 11:21 AM) *

QUOTE(djway @ Apr 28 2020, 09:15 PM) *

Attached Image

@djway do you have a build thread going on anywhere for that? I'm working on a conversion for my Squareback right now and would love to see how you're doing it.

Here is a thread on The Samba https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=682005
I don't have anything re the motor yet I don't think. I have two stainless fuel lines in the tunnel so far and that is about it related to motor.
+Quote Post

31 Pages V « < 17 18 19 20 21 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th May 2024 - 07:25 AM