Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

31 Pages V « < 18 19 20 21 22 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Any shelter in place projects ? non-914 is OK !, what are you working on ?
Root_Werks
post Apr 30 2020, 09:58 AM
Post #381

Village Idiot

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Learned very fast how important it is to get the HVAC ducting up, sealed and insulated before the R49 and sheetrock go up. Working on that this week. I put some ceiling sheetrock up and it's a PITA to crawl around to install the HVAC ducting.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Apr 30 2020, 11:26 AM
Post #382

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Apr 30 2020, 10:58 AM) *

Learned very fast how important it is to get the HVAC ducting up, sealed and insulated before the R49 and sheetrock go up. Working on that this week. I put some ceiling sheetrock up and it's a PITA to crawl around to install the HVAC ducting.

If you have to crawl around in your attic, the ceiling is too low. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) A 6 ft tall guy could stand up in my attic. The slope starts at about 4 feet off the floor, and at the peak is 20ft up.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Apr 30 2020, 11:39 AM
Post #383

Village Idiot

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Apr 30 2020, 10:26 AM) *

QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Apr 30 2020, 10:58 AM) *

If you have to crawl around in your attic, the ceiling is too low. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) A 6 ft tall guy could stand up in my attic. The slope starts at about 4 feet off the floor, and at the peak is 20ft up.

To keep the hangar home in the residential category, we stayed a few inches under 20ft on the sides. This means there is a few feet of the ceiling that is vaulted and insulated as a hot roof. You can see in the picture with the building being 50ft wide, the attic starts I think like 10ft in on each side? Something like that. At 5'6", I can stand up only about 3-4ft off the peak before my head knocks something.
+Quote Post
Toby
post Apr 30 2020, 12:00 PM
Post #384

Member No.: 15,566
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Apr 30 2020, 07:58 AM) *

Make it easier on yourself. Cut a few sheets of plywood lengthwise and give yourself a center floor to walk (or crawl) on. Don't risk your foot sliding off and going through the ceiling. Future person getting up there will praise you for it.
+Quote Post
euro911
post Apr 30 2020, 12:51 PM
Post #385

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

We had a narrow 'catwalk' running the length of the house in our attic, but my wife started storing stuff on the (early 1900s) ceiling joists. We finally screwed plywood to a larger area across the joists to spread out the load ... and it helped with reducing earthquake shear too.

Are you in one of those air park, or fly park communities? We looked at some 'aeronautical' home properties up in the Seattle area back in the mid 90s ... decided there were just too many rainy days that we didn't care to deal with (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pat.gif)
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Apr 30 2020, 02:31 PM
Post #386

Village Idiot

QUOTE(euro911 @ Apr 30 2020, 11:51 AM) *

We had a narrow 'catwalk' running the length of the house in our attic, but my wife started storing stuff on the (early 1900s) ceiling joists. We finally screwed plywood to a larger area across the joists to spread out the load ... and it helped with reducing earthquake shear too.

Are you in one of those air park, or fly park communities? We looked at some 'aeronautical' home properties up in the Seattle area back in the mid 90s ... decided there were just too many rainy days that we didn't care to deal with (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pat.gif)

The Attic above the living space won't need to be accessed unless there is a repair or similar. There will be storage above the section over the Airplane. Pic attached shows the walkway (not done) that's roughly mid way up the 9ft wall. Kinda hard to explain, but the living space (1,000sqft) is only over part of the garage/hangar below which is closer to 2,000sqft.

WFH has provided additional time to work on the living space = yay!

Not an airpark, but our back yard is the runway. Google "FAA WA09".

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Apr 30 2020, 02:34 PM
Post #387

Village Idiot

Shot from the North side facing South.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
draganc
post Apr 30 2020, 02:35 PM
Post #388

Member No.: 11,000
Region Association: North East States

Building a Ducati “tribute” 916 race bike:

Attached Image

Eventually it will look like this:

Attached Image

Any other Ducati riders around here?
+Quote Post
euro911
post Apr 30 2020, 05:13 PM
Post #389

QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Apr 30 2020, 01:31 PM) *
The Attic above the living space won't need to be accessed unless there is a repair or similar. There will be storage above the section over the Airplane. Pic attached shows the walkway (not done) that's roughly mid way up the 9ft wall. Kinda hard to explain, but the living space (1,000sqft) is only over part of the garage/hangar below which is closer to 2,000sqft.

OK ... about 60 miles N/W of where we were looking (Frontier Airpark Airport-WN53)

Where are the windows for the living quarters? ... gonna add any dormers?
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post May 1 2020, 06:57 AM
Post #390

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(euro911 @ Apr 30 2020, 06:13 PM) *

QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Apr 30 2020, 01:31 PM) *

OK ... about 60 miles N/W of where we were looking (Frontier Airpark Airport-WN53)

Where are the windows for the living quarters? ... gonna add any dormers?

Got any pictures of the airplane?

I always wanted to get a Globe Swift and put a Mooney/Porsche engine in it. Then I could have a flying 914-6. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
JOEPROPER
post May 1 2020, 08:09 AM
Post #391

The answer is "no" unless you ask...

Member No.: 19,387
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(draganc @ Apr 30 2020, 04:35 PM) *

Building a Ducati “tribute” 916 race bike:

Attached Image

Eventually it will look like this:

Attached Image

Any other Ducati riders around here?

reduc...??
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post May 1 2020, 11:10 AM
Post #392

Village Idiot

Here's a pic from July of 2019. It's a 1948 Luscombe I learned to fly in. About a year after passing the check-ride, I bought it off my buddy who got me into flying. He sadly passed away last year, but got to see the results of him poking me to learn and take on the airplane as my own.

Michelle and I are fun day flyer's, after 8 years of flying and 7 years of airplane ownership, only have about 500 hours.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post May 1 2020, 01:08 PM
Post #393

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

this could also go under the category of “why didn’t you work on your 914 today”
but for the past week i have been working on new flooring in our upstairs for the girl’s (2 of 3) rooms. of course this means ripping out carpet that was in when we moved in 9 months ago. which leads to well have to pair first , walls trim etc. then hallway and steps and hall is connected to entry foyer, steps etc so..... the slippery slope!! all painting other than some trim is done and the quarter round has to go in next and i will be done. then i go back to 914 stuff!

the beige paint was old and dingy, new is a off-white or cream that almost looks white unless you look at the ceiling then you can see it’s not. so much brighter now, wide is happy so we’re good!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
euro911
post May 1 2020, 09:19 PM
Post #394

Looks gr8, Doc. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif) ... although I may need to scheduled an appointment with you after spending time looking at the last two pix you posted -

Attached Image

Attached Image

... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

We're at a stopping point for the week ... my muscles are sore and my arms are sunburned. You can see one of the places the old roof was leaking into an interior wall (which will also be addressed). We were originally just going to rip off the old shingles and the old planks, re roof it flat with plywood and roll roofing ... but decided WTH - the upgrade will increase the home's valuation, more than double the cost of the remodel.

Attached Image

Attached Image

We're going to start demolishing the inside drywall and old, low-hanging rafters on Monday ... then we'll hang new ceiling joists (at 8' AFF) early next week.

Attached Image

Thankfully, this is the last room to remodel ... will be glad when it's all finally done (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

Think I'm gonna shake it up and maybe do something else this weekend ... maybe work on a car or two (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
Brasil914
post May 1 2020, 09:57 PM
Post #395

Member No.: 20,905

QUOTE(Spoke @ Mar 22 2020, 04:03 PM) *

A continuing winter project. Building a trestle for my HO layout. The plywood is where the trestle will be and the shape.

Printed some jigs to set the stringer. The stringer is several thin pieces of wood glued together so they can follow the shape. The jigs are held together with track rail so they have a smooth profile.

The stringers are made and glued to form the shape desired.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

this is awesome also a hobby kind of haven't started a table yet. no basements in the Lowcountry of SC
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post May 2 2020, 01:44 PM
Post #396

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106

QUOTE(Brasil914 @ May 1 2020, 11:57 PM) *

QUOTE(Spoke @ Mar 22 2020, 04:03 PM) *

A continuing winter project. Building a trestle for my HO layout. The plywood is where the trestle will be and the shape.

Printed some jigs to set the stringer. The stringer is several thin pieces of wood glued together so they can follow the shape. The jigs are held together with track rail so they have a smooth profile.

The stringers are made and glued to form the shape desired.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

this is awesome also a hobby kind of haven't started a table yet. no basements in the Lowcountry of SC

right, i am in the low country too just down the road from you, but i could share a few pictures of our walk in attic space on second floor that looks like my wife is eyeing to finish off for a bonus room/library/study. there is a potential to add about 800sqrft of heated/cooled space... i just want to finish this floor and the steps and like Euro911 i want to get back to car projects! - hey Mark, i know what you mean, i need to take a break my wrists arm and hands are more sore from this than from seeing 50 patients in the office!
+Quote Post
euro911
post May 3 2020, 12:12 AM
Post #397

Yeah, but I got a crick in my neck from viewing your pix (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

I had to start wearing long sleeve shirts - I developed blisters (2nd. degree burns) on my forearms (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) ... the sun was brutal last week.

Moved a few vehicles around - positioned the Ghia far back into the driveway with room behind it so I can drop the motor and trans when I get a chance. Have a freshly rebuilt trans, new mounts, and a new clutch & T/O bearing ready to go in. Might install new rear shocks and recondition the CV joints (& install some new boots) while I'm in there (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post May 3 2020, 06:05 PM
Post #398

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176
Region Association: None

The Speedster was actually in my garage for fifteen years
No sooner was it out and made to run and drive.... then this happened......

Have to fix a noisy mainshaft bearing.

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Apr 23 2020, 06:01 PM) *

Finally got around to some spring cleaning and re-arrangement in the garage.
This is the first time this car has rolled in more than 10 years.
I took it off the lift and turned it around to do some work.
If the Luft event happens in November we hope to be there with this car.
It's a numbers matching '57

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Toby
post May 5 2020, 02:15 PM
Post #399

Member No.: 15,566
Region Association: Upper MidWest

MarkS....now your construction makes sense and is well supported. Good work.

I recently put oak hardwood in my dad's house getting it ready to sell. I used screws and had to pre-drill, so probably did it the hardest way possible.

I worked on a Vari-Easy and a few other home-builts, but my dream was Jim Stewart's 70% P-51.

On my Bug project I made the deal for a non running bug and a (supposed to be) running 98 Pontiac Bonneville 3800 series II supercharged that had a tree attack the rear (putting a V to the back window) and only has 70K miles. I get the car to take all parts from and will return it to the salvage man. I'll keep seats, gauge cluster, computer in addition to the engine, tranny, and radiator.

+Quote Post
914forme
post May 5 2020, 04:04 PM
Post #400

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Morph914 @ Apr 28 2020, 10:40 PM) *

Fuel pump on the Astro went out. Not a fun job, the tank had to be removed to get to the pump. A sigh of relief was had when the key was turned and the sweet sound of the pump priming the engine was heard. And of course the engine fired off immediately. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Yes, I had one fail right after filling up. Made me think about cutting access in the floor, and bolting a new cover down, that way it would never have to do it again. This was after doing the job twice. We loved our Astros, always wanted to build an AWD model with a Cyclone. or Typhoon engine.

No chance of that now, Wife's daily is an X5M AWD and 550 HP, thing is a rocket. Need a bit more it is just a tune away.
+Quote Post

31 Pages V « < 18 19 20 21 22 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 06:58 PM