Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

31 Pages V « < 21 22 23 24 25 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Any shelter in place projects ? non-914 is OK !, what are you working on ?
Unobtanium-inc
post May 31 2020, 10:21 PM
Post #441

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,276
Region Association: None

One good thing about lots of time at home, the go-kart track is looking really good. I was teaching my nephew the track last week, he rolled the kart, on my leg! Luckily my neighbor was playing B-ball a few feet away and righted the kart. Scrapes, swollen ankle, and I think a cracked rib, but the only way you learn to drive, is to crash every now and then.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
RickS
post May 31 2020, 10:33 PM
Post #442

Member No.: 5,880

Removed the flag mirrors and put on some Italian jobs.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Jun 1 2020, 01:17 PM
Post #443

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241
Region Association: Northern California

Decided it was time to service/clean out the plasma table. Methinks I shall not wait so long next time!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jun 1 2020, 01:31 PM
Post #444

Michael

Member No.: 9,712

That's a working table for sure. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post Jun 1 2020, 06:40 PM
Post #445

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Jun 1 2020, 03:17 PM) *

Decided it was time to service/clean out the plasma table. Methinks I shall not wait so long next time!

Forget the table...what's the transaxle ? Chevy something ?
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Toby
post Jun 1 2020, 07:16 PM
Post #446

Member No.: 15,566
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jun 1 2020, 04:40 PM) *

Must be a front wheel drive with longitudinal mounted engine. I'm using the GM 3800 with supercharger and traverse mount. Interesting.
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Jun 1 2020, 07:19 PM
Post #447

914 Guru

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jun 1 2020, 05:40 PM) *

@Toby @rgalla9146

It's a Cayman S PDK, awaiting a kit that allows it to sit behind an LS3.
Complete with launch control, traction control and 2 drive modes. Yes, seriously.
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Jun 1 2020, 07:32 PM
Post #448

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I bought this 1966 m416 1/4 ton army trailer.
(IMG:https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49889049232_937dfacfef_c.jpg)

Had to do a little rust removal to either side of the wheels.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-1435-1591061552.1.jpg)

Built and welded in a sturdy steel rack, including reinforcing the tub where the rack attached.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-1435-1591061553.2.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-1435-1591061553.3.jpg)

Kids and dog approve so far....
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-1435-1591061553.4.jpg)

Got it in primer...
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-1435-1591061554.5.jpg)

Painted and new tires!
Admitted I did almost no metal prep aside from grinding down flaking paint from its prior 60 years of life. Paint looks good from 20 feet, but its rough looking up close.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-1435-1591061554.6.jpg)

What what what?! Theo ran the lift while I guided the package to a point where it was up on the rack.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-1435-1591061554.7.jpg)

The money shot for my off road camping trailer:
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-1435-1591061554.8.jpg)

Not quite a month in from day dream to now. First camping trip will be fathers day weekend, gotta get it legal by then!

Zach

+Quote Post
TonyA
post Jun 1 2020, 07:38 PM
Post #449

Nachmal

Member No.: 20,596
Region Association: North East States

Zach Is that a Smity built camper set up.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jun 1 2020, 07:45 PM
Post #450

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

Zach - Looks great. Your kids grew up. Have fun!
+Quote Post
djway
post Jun 1 2020, 07:50 PM
Post #451

Member No.: 19,266
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Jun 1 2020, 06:19 PM) *

@Toby @rgalla9146

Complete with launch control, traction control and 2 drive modes. Yes, seriously.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post Jun 1 2020, 09:24 PM
Post #452

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Jun 1 2020, 09:19 PM) *

@Toby @rgalla9146

At a quick glance it looks like a classic Chevy bellhousing pattern
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Jun 2 2020, 08:29 AM
Post #453

En Garde!

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 1 2020, 09:45 PM) *

Zach - Looks great. Your kids grew up. Have fun!

They are growing like weeds.

QUOTE(TonyA @ Jun 1 2020, 09:45 PM) *

Zach Is that a Smity built camper set up.

Yeah. 4WheelParts owns Smittybilt and has had the XL tents on sale fairly deeply of late while they roll in the new version (announced last month or so).

This whole project started when a storm killed the previous "family" tent during a backyard camp out in April. Suddenly the Roof Top Tents went on sale around Earth Day (4/20) and then went on a bigger sale about 2 weeks later. I decided to order the tent on the Earth Day sale, and 4WP honored their deeper sale price over the hone with me the day before the ten was delivered. Excellent customer service!!!

In Early May I decided I did not want to mount the tent on my 4Runner and have to deal with taking it off and putting it on each time I wanted to use it (the tent is 150 pounds) and I did not want to have to break down camp any time I needed to use the truck for a side adventure. So I started looking at trailers.

I first found an M1101 trailer, the owner was a good guy and I almost bought it but they are HEAVY (1500 lbs for the trailer alone) and a foot wider then my 4Runner. Plus the weight of the tent and the rack I'd need to build, I decided not to buy that.

I found the M416 trailer the very next day. The M416 is still a HD off road utility trailer, but only weighs 600 lbs and was designed to be pulled by Jeeps during Vietnam (though the trailer had been built since WWII as the Bantam, and Korea as the M100). The trailer was only 20 miles from my house, and the seller had 3 people looking to buy it - but they were all an NY and NJ and he did not want them bringing the plague. SO I got my butt over there that day and bought it.

Knowing I have camping trips that have not yet been cancelled coming up in June I've been trying to work on the trailer every night after work. Now the question is: can I get it titled and plated by then? I need to get the lights on it today sometime so that the trailer can be road legal, and then get the title and plates done. We are in a Yellow phase for COVID, and I'm not sure what that means for PENNDOT processing the paperwork.

Zach
+Quote Post
euro911
post Jun 2 2020, 11:11 AM
Post #454

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300

Cool trailer/tent arrangement, Zack (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)

Got a question though. Does the ladder act as an outrigger, or is it designed to be retracted at night? I ask, because it looks like outriggers might be a good idea to support that overhang ... especially if a significant weight load is place up there (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Jun 2 2020, 12:15 PM
Post #455

En Garde!

QUOTE(euro911 @ Jun 2 2020, 01:11 PM) *

Cool trailer/tent arrangement, Zack (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)

Got a question though. Does the ladder act as an outrigger, or is it designed to be retracted at night? I ask, because it looks like outriggers might be a good idea to support that overhang ... especially if a significant weight load is place up there (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

It is structural. you don't want to try and retract the ladder overnight. The tent won't collapse if the ladder isn't there, but it will wear out a lot faster and you will be over stressing the tent fabric. The ladder is bolted to the platform with a hinge and is really stable once in place.

Zach
+Quote Post
euro911
post Jun 2 2020, 01:17 PM
Post #456

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)

Still trying to stay ahead of the rainy season. Luckily, we only had one very light rain so far and it's been hot and sunny, so everything is dry and no water damage ... however, the main priority is to get the roof done asap. My friend Greg finished helping with the structural carpentry, so I've been working alone to get this finished up.

Getting the felt paper installed ... and flashing of course. I might need some assistance from a pro when it comes to weaving the new roof shingles into the existing roof shingles, as well as the two valleys that will be created by the cricket (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Attached Image

Pay no attention to the trim at the back screen door area. It was just secured there to help position the new siding ... it will get all new 1x4" trim in time (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

Taking a quick break now (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) ... hoping for some cloud cover this afternoon (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Later that same day ... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
BillC
post Jun 3 2020, 12:13 PM
Post #457

Member No.: 18,667

Almost two years ago, I bought a used Spec Boxster (SPB) race car. The previous owners had put a switch panel in the dash, and I added a couple of switches to it, but I was never really happy with it. Plus, I decided I really didn't like the red switch covers, but wanted something to protect the switches from accidental ons or offs.

Here's the original panel:
Attached Image

So, I decided to make a new panel.

First, I cut a piece out of some leftover delrin and sized it in the mill:

I drilled the hole for the coolshirt switch and cut the squarish hole for the defrost button first, by hand. Then, I used the mill to drill holes for the toggle switches spaced evenly in between. I decided to drill holes for four switches, even though I'm currently using only two, just in case I need to add some in the future. I took advantage of the DRO to make sure everything was properly aligned.

So, here's the new panel with all the holes drilled and the surface sanded with 400 grit. Also, the extra holes around the toggle switches will be explained later.
Attached Image

I also used new stainless steel button head screws to mount the panel, with a coat of flat black paint. The trick to painting small screws is to take a piece of cardboard and cut small x's in it with an x-acto knife -- then just push a screw into each x and the cardboard will hold the screws in place.
Attached Image

Now comes the reason for the extra holes around the toggle switches -- switch guards! The guards are made from 3/16" aluminum tubing, bent using a decent tubing bender. I made six guards, so I had a spare just in case.

Next is cutting all the guards to the same length. First step was to make a jig to hold the guards, by milling slots into a block of wood for the jig. Then, each guard gets run through the mill to be sized.

Then, the guards need to be modified so they can be mounted. Fortunately, the hole in the tubing is just the right size to be tapped for 6-32 screws. This turned out to be the biggest pain-in-the-butt step, since there were 12 holes to tap.
Attached Image

Here's the initial mounting of the guards:
Attached Image

Here's the final product; painted, labelled and mounted back in the car:
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jun 3 2020, 01:22 PM
Post #458

Michael

Member No.: 9,712

That looks very nice. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Jun 3 2020, 01:35 PM
Post #459

914 Guru

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jun 3 2020, 12:22 PM) *

That looks very nice. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Nope, I have to disagree... That looks frickin' AWESOME!
+Quote Post
Mike D.
post Jun 3 2020, 03:32 PM
Post #460

OK, It runs now, and pretty good too!

Member No.: 85

Here's Mine!
1973 Tintop Westie interior update!

Start to Finish.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.thesamba.com-85-1591219952.1.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.thesamba.com-85-1591219952.2.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.thesamba.com-85-1591219952.3.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.thesamba.com-85-1591219953.4.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.thesamba.com-85-1591219953.5.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.thesamba.com-85-1591219953.6.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.thesamba.com-85-1591219953.7.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.thesamba.com-85-1591219953.8.jpg)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)
+Quote Post

31 Pages V « < 21 22 23 24 25 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:51 AM