Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Jacking point damage?
iankarr
post Mar 26 2020, 12:10 AM
Post #21

The wrencher formerly known as Cuddy_K

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,749
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(drem914 @ Mar 25 2020, 08:49 PM) *

If those are not where we are suppose to jack the car up from, then how are we supposed to use a quick jack? I have one specifically so I don't have to use a single side lift jack to lift the car up. So much simpler to use than jack stands and a shop jack.

@cuddy_k ?

I've always used the donuts...though with a quick jack the load is equally spread over the 4 of them. I suppose you could use the QJ pinch weld blocks and lift from the rockers, but you'd need to remove the rocker covers to keep them from getting bent.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Biggles
post Mar 26 2020, 03:25 AM
Post #22

Member No.: 16,353
Region Association: England

Based on the responses, the fact the rear donuts / surrounding floorpan on my car look fine, and noticing from a picture I took where my garage jacked the car at the front I will jack it on the rear donut with a spreader plate and a spreader plate in the front corner behind the wheel arch:

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
drem914
post Mar 26 2020, 10:02 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 9,062
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(cuddy_k @ Mar 25 2020, 11:10 PM) *

QUOTE(drem914 @ Mar 25 2020, 08:49 PM) *

If those are not where we are suppose to jack the car up from, then how are we supposed to use a quick jack? I have one specifically so I don't have to use a single side lift jack to lift the car up. So much simpler to use than jack stands and a shop jack.

@cuddy_k ?

I've always used the donuts...though with a quick jack the load is equally spread over the 4 of them. I suppose you could use the QJ pinch weld blocks and lift from the rockers, but you'd need to remove the rocker covers to keep them from getting bent.

For now I'll stick with the donuts. at most each is carrying 500 lbs.
+Quote Post
euro911
post Jul 6 2020, 11:49 AM
Post #24

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300

Attached Image
+Quote Post
euro911
post Jul 6 2020, 01:30 PM
Post #25

Here's a site that has pix & videos ... http://p914-6info.net/video_2.htm

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Retroracer
post Jul 6 2020, 05:44 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 16,100
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Donut jacking: interesting reading for me.

Early on in my build when fixing rust, dents, adding stiffening, etc. I used the rear donuts to jack the car almost all the time. I remember trying to jack it up using one of the front donuts once, and was shocked to notice the floor deforming! I quickly dropped it, "persuaded" that section of the floor back into place - this was before paint remember - and decided never to jack up the car on the front donuts ever again.

I still routinely use the rear donuts to jack the car, then use a wrapped wooden spreader along the rocker (sill) area to take the load with a jack stand. Not seen any deformation around the rear donuts thus far.

- Tony

PS. @euro911 : LOL
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jul 6 2020, 05:50 PM
Post #27

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

Jesus.....what is the best way to lift a 914 w/o doing damage? I have a mid-rise scissor lift in my garage and plan on putting the Six on it to keep it nice and clean on a regular basis. What is the best and safest way to lift it? I had always assumed using the donuts was correct. Then again it's been 30 years since I lifted a 914.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
MM1
post Jul 6 2020, 06:34 PM
Post #28

914 obsession continues

Member No.: 22,105

Sir Andy,

Is it possible for you to elucidate my ignorance? I've read a few threads here and am still not clear on the correct and safest method to raise the 914. I've read (not scrutinized or memorized) Dr. B. Johnson's "914 and 914-6 Porsche" (new revised edition) and the Haynes 914 manual (which only mentions the "rocker (sill) panel" (pg.8). I consulted my 914World "guru" (and won't dare embarrass him with my follies here), and bought hockey pucks to place on jackstands under the doughnuts after jacking up the forward control arm mounts (is that the correct move? - seems awfully far forward on a uni-body). I haven't dared to do any of this after reading said threads . . .bitte schön, mein Herr - your guidance and that of our friends (with a definitive "factory-like" answer) would be deeply appreciated.

Marcus
+Quote Post
euro911
post Jul 6 2020, 11:38 PM
Post #29

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jul 6 2020, 04:50 PM) *
Jesus.....what is the best way to lift a 914 w/o doing damage? I have a mid-rise scissor lift in my garage and plan on putting the Six on it to keep it nice and clean on a regular basis. What is the best and safest way to lift it? I had always assumed using the donuts was correct. Then again it's been 30 years since I lifted a 914.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Place some 2x6 wooden blocks on top of your lift, place them directly under the back side of the front wheel wells like Biggles posted, then elevate the lift.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-16353-1585214908_thumb.jpg)

I also use a couple of wooden blocks that have a groove cut into them installed under the rear section of the longs. The seams on the longs rest in the grooves when the lift is elevated.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jul 7 2020, 06:17 AM
Post #30

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jul 6 2020, 07:50 PM) *

Get a bag of hockey pucks. They cost ~$10 for four. Cut a groove down the middle of each one the width of the pitch weld under the long.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jul 7 2020, 06:32 AM
Post #31

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

OK- I have a few hockey pucks and several other lifting rubber blocks, some of which have the groves cut into them for the pinch weld. I will give all of them a look for fitment when the car is home. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
MM1
post Jul 7 2020, 09:31 AM
Post #32

914 obsession continues

Thanks, Gents!

Mark - so when jacking the front, do you lift with pucks 1 jackstand's width rearward of the front corner of the long? or do you ever jack from the forward control arm mount as some do?
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jul 7 2020, 10:45 AM
Post #33

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(MM1 @ Jul 7 2020, 11:31 AM) *

Thanks, Gents!

Mark - so when jacking the front, do you lift with pucks 1 jackstand's width rearward of the front corner of the long? or do you ever jack from the forward control arm mount as some do?

Whatever works. The pucks aren’t always handy.
When I first started working at the shop, I was sent out to buy some pucks so Russo could jack up the 962. If it was good enough for that Porsche...
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
MM1
post Jul 8 2020, 09:52 AM
Post #34

914 obsession continues

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 7 2020, 11:45 AM) *

QUOTE(MM1 @ Jul 7 2020, 11:31 AM) *

Thanks, Gents!

Whatever works. The pucks aren’t always handy.
When I first started working at the shop, I was sent out to buy some pucks so Russo could jack up the 962. If it was good enough for that Porsche...

Thank you, Sir!
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 02:43 PM