Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New Shifter - Installation Info?, Would like new one to look like old one
StarBear
post Mar 27 2020, 06:28 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,753
Region Association: North East States

My "Shelter In Place" project has been to finally replace the original shifter/bushings. Installed the JWest unit (see photo) but didn't realize it has a Way higher bottom column than the original and it has a greater diameter, too (3" versus 2 5/8"). So, the console bottom doesn't fit! Other photos attached. The current leatherette shifter boot removes easily from the console bottom - looks sort of like the Hogwarts' "sorting hat" when it's out.
So, any tips/clues or retrofit kits besides cutting the console bottom hole to the 3" size (which I'd REALLY not like to do as I keep things as original looking as possible)? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)
Also, even when/if the console bottom fits, there's a few inches of aluminum column that will be showing - a leatherette wrap or something? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
Would really appreciate others' experiences or workarounds from those who've had similar issues.
Thanks!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Olympic 914
post Mar 27 2020, 06:54 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 13,287

You could fabricate a new console bottom and cover it in vinyl. But no way getting around the fact that the Rennshifter is larger in diameter. then maybe making a vinyl sleeve that closely follows the shape of the original "Hogworths hat" one but is larger on the bottom.

Only if you really don't want to modify the original piece that will no longer be any use to you. and will sit in your pile of spare parts forever.

You could also use a 911 type shifter boot that will cover the bottom of the shifter.

BTW.. I have one I'm not using.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Mar 27 2020, 06:57 PM
Post #3

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Olympic 914 @ Mar 27 2020, 08:54 PM) *

You could fabricate a new console bottom and cover it in vinyl. But no way getting around the fact that the Rennshifter is larger in diameter. then maybe making a vinyl sleeve that closely follows the shape of the original "Hogworths hat" one but is larger on the bottom.

Only if you really don't want to modify the original piece that will no longer be any use to you. and will sit in your pile of spare parts forever.

You could also use a 911 type shifter boot that will cover the bottom of the shifter.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
Tom
post Mar 27 2020, 08:43 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,626
Region Association: None

When I had my 914 and put a Renn-shift in it, I faced the same thing. I used a 911 SC shifter boot. I thought is looked great. If you are a good searcher, you may be able to find it as I remember posting a pic. If not, let me know and I will see if I still have a pic somewhere.
Tom
+Quote Post
StarBear
post Mar 28 2020, 08:43 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 10,753

That would be terrific, 'Olympic 914'! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) Do you have a photo? I'll PM you.
Who needs "aging mind excerises" when we have 914s?

QUOTE(Olympic 914 @ Mar 27 2020, 08:54 PM) *

+Quote Post
Olympic 914
post Mar 28 2020, 09:23 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 13,287

@StarBear

Attached Image

PM sent.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Mar 28 2020, 11:34 AM
Post #7

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

It wouldn't look quite the same, but any good upholstery shop should be able to sew up a a leather boot that slips over the Rennshift body.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th May 2024 - 01:10 PM