Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Its about to go off topic .sprinter van owners chime in, How do you price a used sprinter van
thelogo
post Mar 30 2020, 08:54 PM
Post #21

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 11,572
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Mar 30 2020, 01:00 PM) *

The main problem with any of the Sprinters (regardless of who badged them - Dodge, Mercedes, or Freightliner) are that the underlying parts are Mercedes parts.

If you can do the labor yourself, you're way ahead of the game but you're largely paying for Mercedes parts.

Sure you probably aren't going to do turbo Diesel engine work, but if you can keep the oil and the trans fluid changed, your still way ahead of the curve.

There has been a lot of to do about Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF). Yes they are insanely expensive. However, that is true regardless of what product they are on Sprinter, Dodge Cummins, Super Duty, whatever has a diesel. By and large, if the engine is operating properly, you won't have issues with the DPF. However, if you have a check engine light that is resulting running rich and burning coal, and you ignore it, expect a plugged DPF eventually.

Im starting to swing back twards diesal in a big way

I checked out
This

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/cto/d...7097465242.html

And it was in extremely good condition . orignal owner .
Maintence records the whole thing .

But. This is the thing

Reguardless of how good one van is or the other

Will the mercedes van help me be successful as in people judge you by the vehicle you show up in .

If i do a great job

Will i be more successful because i use a mercedes vs a converted cargo high roof ford or chevy fan .

I wouldn't ask if my ass and $ wasnt on the line ?

Chime in
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Mar 30 2020, 09:12 PM
Post #22

914-6 GT in waiting

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(thelogo @ Mar 30 2020, 10:46 PM) *

QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Mar 30 2020, 02:14 PM) *

Ford has 84 month 0 interest financing right now with delayed start on first payment.

Are you fuckin nuts ....

Ive always bought all my cars / truck etc

A 0% interest loan isn't nuts when you are running a business. Especially since buying new can get you a warranty so there shouldn't be repair costs for x years, just planned maintenance and maybe tax incentives.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
RickS
post Mar 30 2020, 09:14 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 5,880

Unless you are catering to the rich and famous where $ is no object, regular people will probably think you are charging too much if you can afford a Benz.

My neighbor had a Benz turbo diesel RV, I know they are different beasts, but it was a maintenance nightmare. So much so, he ended up selling it, and the guy was a maintenance fanatic.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Mar 30 2020, 09:16 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

QUOTE(UROpartsman @ Mar 31 2020, 07:19 AM) *

Have also heard that Sprinters are really expensive to maintain.

Correct mate,in my country the Transit and HiAce Toyota rule,then there is VW transporters T5 and T6 and Hyundai are becoming increasingly more popular,we generally only have diesel vans here reason being the torque pushes these frigates around ...they are bloody heavy afterall.
I have 2002 T4 2.5TDI with 152K miles ,I'am constantly impressed with how it drives,the 2.5 5 cyl Audi/Volvo diesel isn't very refined but has excellent torque and bulletproof with good economy with 5 speed and "open road" diff gearbox.

+Quote Post
thelogo
post Mar 30 2020, 09:24 PM
Post #25

QUOTE(RickS @ Mar 30 2020, 08:14 PM) *

Unless you are catering to the rich and famous where $ is no object, regular people will probably think you are charging too much if you can afford a Benz.

"",, "",, this is exactly what i thought too. "",,,,""""
But it hasnt been the majority opinion of people ibe asked !!!

My neighbor had a Benz turbo diesel RV, I know they are different beasts, but it was a maintenance nightmare. So much so, he ended up selling it, and the guy was a maintenance fanatic.

I think this is actually same or similar beast to the benz turbo

And i am actually catering to the rich and famous
( dallas raines)
Malibu . la canda .... All these people drive mercedes ,rolls , bmw , teska , etc. Dallas drive a pantera

But i just wanna do what's best for business .
If that means taking on some maintence thats fine
If it means chopping the roof off a chevy express ok

But i only get 1 shot at it. !!!!
+Quote Post
thelogo
post Mar 30 2020, 09:41 PM
Post #26

QUOTE(porschetub @ Mar 30 2020, 08:16 PM) *

QUOTE(UROpartsman @ Mar 31 2020, 07:19 AM) *

Have also heard that Sprinters are really expensive to maintain.

Correct mate,in my country the Transit and HiAce Toyota rule,then there is VW transporters T5 and T6 and Hyundai are becoming increasingly more popular,we generally only have diesel vans here reason being the torque pushes these frigates around ...they are bloody heavy afterall.
I have 2002 T4 2.5TDI with 152K miles ,I'am constantly impressed with how it drives,the 2.5 5 cyl Audi/Volvo diesel isn't very refined but has excellent torque and bulletproof with good economy with 5 speed and "open road" diff gearbox.

I dont know about your country but audi , vw have a bad reputation around here when it comes to diesal
+Quote Post
thelogo
post Mar 30 2020, 11:57 PM
Post #27

QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 30 2020, 08:12 PM) *

QUOTE(thelogo @ Mar 30 2020, 10:46 PM) *

QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Mar 30 2020, 02:14 PM) *

Ford has 84 month 0 interest financing right now with delayed start on first payment.

Are you fuckin nuts ....

A 0% interest loan isn't nuts when you are running a business. Especially since buying new can get you a warranty so there shouldn't be repair costs for x years, just planned maintenance and maybe tax incentives.

New high roof cargo van ....$ thats a big number
Scared to imagine how much that would cost in 84 month.
Why dont i just buy a fleet instead (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif)
+Quote Post
SteveL
post Mar 31 2020, 06:54 AM
Post #28

Member No.: 991

[/quote]

New high roof cargo van ....$ thats a big number
Scared to imagine how much that would cost in 84 month.
Why dont i just buy a fleet instead (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif)
[/quote]

At 0% interest, it is the same total over 84 months as paying cash. Actually, it is less as reduced by the rate of inflation.
+Quote Post
JOEPROPER
post Mar 31 2020, 07:31 AM
Post #29

The answer is "no" unless you ask...

Member No.: 19,387
Region Association: North East States

Many smart men and women in business use other peoples money to operate their business'. In my opinion, emulating them would be a wise decision. 84 months / no interest is FREE money which is the best $ to use and a long term to use it for a vehicle. I could be wrong, but I don't think I am.

Just something to consider. Good luck with your venture!
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Mar 31 2020, 08:01 AM
Post #30

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(thelogo @ Mar 31 2020, 01:57 AM) *

Are you fuckin nuts ....

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Borrower is slave to the lender.

+Quote Post
andys
post Mar 31 2020, 09:01 AM
Post #31

Advanced Member

Member No.: 721

Ok folks, read the low/no interest ads, and they go something like this.....0% interest for XX months, or $1500 off. The dealer gets his interest up front (amortized over the term of the loan) when you choose the low/no interest option at essentially $1500 more for the sale price of the vehicle. The dealer always makes out.
Andys
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Mar 31 2020, 09:37 AM
Post #32

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(andys @ Mar 31 2020, 11:01 AM) *

Ok folks, read the low/no interest ads, and they go something like this.....0% interest for XX months, or $1500 off. The dealer gets his interest up front (amortized over the term of the loan) when you choose the low/no interest option at essentially $1500 more for the sale price of the vehicle. The dealer always makes out.
Andys

Yes, but... financial leverage is a strong tool if you use it right.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
thelogo
post Mar 31 2020, 09:42 AM
Post #33

QUOTE(andys @ Mar 31 2020, 08:01 AM) *

Andys

This what im saying ...you want me to put my future and buisness in the hands of these stealerships
Maybe if i had no other option but even then (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif)

No thanks.

Reminds me of the 2020 race for the white house

Canidates that lose dont really lose . they will go back to being rich successful politicians. Aka well paid scum of the earth. With the biggest benefit packages ever. Paid for on the backs of hard working americans.

When someone puts their ass on the line . all in , sink or swim . i might try voting for em .

But this whole run for president as a hobbie
Thats not very worthy of office imho

Rant over

I think this is it . guy is willing to deal and van is in damn good shape
+Quote Post
JOEPROPER
post Mar 31 2020, 09:42 AM
Post #34

The answer is "no" unless you ask...

Member No.: 19,387
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 31 2020, 11:37 AM) *

QUOTE(andys @ Mar 31 2020, 11:01 AM) *

Andys

Yes, but... financial leverage is a strong tool if you use it right.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Mar 31 2020, 11:00 AM
Post #35

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(thelogo @ Mar 31 2020, 11:42 AM) *

QUOTE(andys @ Mar 31 2020, 08:01 AM) *

Andys

This what im saying ...you want me to put my future and buisness in the hands of these stealerships
Maybe if i had no other option but even then (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif)

No thanks.

Reminds me of the 2020 race for the white house

Canidates that lose dont really lose . they will go back to being rich successful politicians. Aka well paid scum of the earth. With the biggest benefit packages ever. Paid for on the backs of hard working americans.

When someone puts their ass on the line . all in , sink or swim . i might try voting for em .

But this whole run for president as a hobbie
Thats not very worthy of office imho

Rant over

I think this is it . guy is willing to deal and van is in damn good shape

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

Successfull business can be built on a cash flow basis.

Debt = Risk. Any fincancial analysis of debt leverage also needs to include a risk premium added to the cost of capital to account for the total discount rate to be used for analysis. Many assume this risk permium is zero. If we learned anything from 2008, it should be that the risk premium is not zero.
+Quote Post
R1200rider
post Mar 31 2020, 11:42 AM
Post #36

Member No.: 23,855
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(thelogo @ Mar 29 2020, 12:33 PM) *

This is not for camping or shelter purpose

But im trying to build a mobile dog grooming salon

Ive ruled out new and extremly expensive sprinters

So that leave 1st and 2nd gen

Here is one i made a offer on

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/d/o...7094720538.html

Are these going to be a maintence nightmare
Or a strong work vehicle

Poease advise (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif) and feel free to be long winded

You are making a wise choice with the Sprinter. I am a commercial driver that has put many miles on both the MB and Ford Transit, amongst vehicles ranging from golf carts to earth movers. I swear by Ford trucks; their durability and low cost of ownership, but the Transit is an utter sh1tbox. It’s dismal lack of comfort and durability is only surpassed by its hopeless fuel consumption. I’m surprised Ford put a fuel consumption function on the gauge interface. The Transit feels like a van built on a light duty SUV chassis, the MB feels like a robust and even somewhat refined van built on a medium duty truck chassis. I have hammered mine and it does not notice. Oil changes/service every 20,000 miles. The unbroken-in engine returns 13 mpg towing a single axle trailer and 3300 lbs worth of car/trailer. That is 4 mpg better than the Transit towing nothing in Los Angeles city traffic carrying only passengers. My last mpg trial in the Transit (and with a light foot) returned 9 mpg in my mode of usage over two days of mixed driving. The turbo lag in the Ford puts a 70’s 930 Porsche to shame. It’s not a terrible van (interior quality is not bad) it’s just not near the quality of the MB. In the interest of full disclosure, I do own a Ford (Fiesta ST) and it has been one of the best engineered, trouble free and fun things I’ve owned. I also own a Sprinter van, and I feel the same about it. Hope I’ve helped, as that was my intent. Feel free to ask questions.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
thelogo
post Mar 31 2020, 01:45 PM
Post #37

QUOTE(R1200rider @ Mar 31 2020, 10:42 AM) *

QUOTE(thelogo @ Mar 29 2020, 12:33 PM) *

This is not for camping or shelter purpose

But im trying to build a mobile dog grooming salon

Ive ruled out new and extremly expensive sprinters

So that leave 1st and 2nd gen

Here is one i made a offer on

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/d/o...7094720538.html

Are these going to be a maintence nightmare
Or a strong work vehicle

Poease advise (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif) and feel free to be long winded

You are making a wise choice with the Sprinter. I am a commercial driver that has put many miles on both the MB and Ford Transit, amongst vehicles ranging from golf carts to earth movers. I swear by Ford trucks; their durability and low cost of ownership, but the Transit is an utter sh1tbox. It’s dismal lack of comfort and durability is only surpassed by its hopeless fuel consumption. I’m surprised Ford put a fuel consumption function on the gauge interface. The Transit feels like a van built on a light duty SUV chassis, the MB feels like a robust and even somewhat refined van built on a medium duty truck chassis. I have hammered mine and it does not notice. Oil changes/service every 20,000 miles. The unbroken-in engine returns 13 mpg towing a single axle trailer and 3300 lbs worth of car/trailer. That is 4 mpg better than the Transit towing nothing in Los Angeles city traffic carrying only passengers. My last mpg trial in the Transit (and with a light foot) returned 9 mpg in my mode of usage over two days of mixed driving. The turbo lag in the Ford puts a 70’s 930 Porsche to shame. It’s not a terrible van (interior quality is not bad) it’s just not near the quality of the MB. In the interest of full disclosure, I do own a Ford (Fiesta ST) and it has been one of the best engineered, trouble free and fun things I’ve owned. I also own a Sprinter van, and I feel the same about it. Hope I’ve helped, as that was my intent. Feel free to ask questions.
Attached Image

What year is your sprinter and how much was it ?

And how many miles on the barely broken in engine?

Also you do not mention any thing about emissions
Do the gas vans have the upper hand there ?

And i do agree that a focus or fiesta is a hell of a car
And a good value . fun to drive i would hope
Manual trans right?
+Quote Post
R1200rider
post Mar 31 2020, 05:52 PM
Post #38

Member No.: 23,855
Region Association: Southern California

It’s a 2019 Winnebago 4x4 camper van. With suspension and other upgrades about $135k.
Diesels are not tested anywhere for emissions afaik.
11,500 miles
Very fun car to drive, wrong wheel drive and all. The ST family of vehicles are manual only.
+Quote Post
bandjoey
post Mar 31 2020, 05:53 PM
Post #39

bandjoey

Member No.: 8,156
Region Association: Southwest Region

Talk to your accountant. Trucks over a certain weight get extra tax deductions
+Quote Post
thelogo
post Mar 31 2020, 09:14 PM
Post #40

Snake bit i guess . we had a deal at 11k
But guy said . and i cant make this shit up
Wife told him we need to exchange funds only at bank.

So offer was instantly changed to 10k
And dont think its gonna happen .

Also van will immediately be needing
Smog , registration as it was on non op sitting for about 6 months and in less then 1k miles will need oil change.

So im sitting back on rhe sideline for now

+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:37 PM