Ive ruled out new and extremly expensive sprinters

So that leave 1st and 2nd gen

Here is one i made a offer on

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/d/o...7094720538.html

Are these going to be a maintence nightmare
Or a strong work vehicle

Poease advise wub.gif and feel free to be long winded
JOEPROPER
You may be happier with a Ford Transit... I do some fleet maintenance on some Sprinters and they're all switching over due to high maintenance costs and frequency. Oil change Service alone is 1/2 the price.
I personally like the Sprinter with long wheelbase. Rides really nice.
thelogo
QUOTE(JOEPROPER @ Mar 29 2020, 10:47 AM) *

You may be happier with a Ford Transit... I do some fleet maintenance on some Sprinters and they're all switching over due to high maintenance costs and frequency. Oil change Service alone is 1/2 the price.
I personally like the Sprinter with long wheelbase. Rides really nice.

I think happier is kinda a relative term
Gasoline ford transit are only a few years old
And cost upwards of 25k. And have high miles unless new

I will not be happy spending that up front
Bmw635
Thought about using trailers? Replacing tow vehicle is cheaper than built vehicle long term. Lots of groomers are using pickup to tow.
thelogo
QUOTE(Bmw635 @ Mar 29 2020, 11:12 AM) *

Thought about using trailers? Replacing tow vehicle is cheaper than built vehicle long term. Lots of groomers are using pickup to tow.

Very valid point and i am considering

Trailers are a attractive alternative as they are pretty inexpensive and almost free of maintence
But i currently have a 2006 ford ranger that isnt rated to tow diddly squat . so i assume that would mean buying a tow vehicle also . stirthepot.gif
Montreal914
what about Ram Promaster van? Front wheel drive, lower floor.

Have no clue about reliability though...
thelogo
QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Mar 29 2020, 11:21 AM) *

what about Ram Promaster van? Front wheel drive, lower floor.

Have no clue about reliability though...

Like a ford transit they are nice but not easy to find and
Expensive $$$
Craigers17
This one looks like a keeper.Click to view attachment
thelogo
QUOTE(Craigers17 @ Mar 29 2020, 03:30 PM) *

That will be the wrap i will have on the van def. A keeper

I went to buy the spriter i link in original post
Only to arrive to a oil leak and missing dipstick under the hood . alternator and wiring was covered in what appeared to be trans oil and rad hoses were saturated in oil as well .

So i ran like hell ! bye1.gif smoke.gif
Craigers17
QUOTE(thelogo @ Mar 29 2020, 06:06 PM) *

Only to arrive to a oil leak and missing dipstick under the hood . alternator and wiring was covered in what appeared to be trans oil and rad hoses were saturated in oil as well .

In all seriousness, I bought a 2014 Nissan NV200 w/ 80K miles on it. I did a good bit of research on it, and the biggest problems are usually wheel or hub issues...hasn't been much of an issue for me, but I could see it being a problem if you have a lot of potholes in your area.

The NV200 might be a little small for your business, but they make larger ones. Just my 2 cents! Good luck!
thelogo
QUOTE(Craigers17 @ Mar 29 2020, 05:18 PM) *

QUOTE(thelogo @ Mar 29 2020, 06:06 PM) *

In all seriousness, I bought a 2014 Nissan NV200 w/ 80K miles on it. I did a good bit of research on it, and the biggest problems are usually wheel or hub issues...hasn't been much of an issue for me, but I could see it being a problem if you have a lot of potholes in your area.

The NV200 might be a little small for your business, but they make larger ones. Just my 2 cents! Good luck!

I have seen high roof nissan van that would be ideal
But they are on the higher price end and i believe built on a nissan titan .but i do worry about reliablity and nissan brand . especially auto transmissions
Larmo63
Click to view attachment
thelogo
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/cto/d...7097465242.html

This one is up next

And to gran torino .

Im just filling a need here .

In a void of the universes. Next stop deep space 9 screwy.gif
UROpartsman
Have also heard that Sprinters are really expensive to maintain.
thelogo
QUOTE(UROpartsman @ Mar 30 2020, 11:19 AM) *

Yes ok
Can someone bat this around a little here for me

Sprinters . turbo deisals will require maintence
That is expensive oil filter etc . i would be doing routine stuff

not a
Expensive mercrdes tech av-943.gif

But is the turbo diesal with diesal exausht filter !!!!!

The least ideal engine to have in southern califonia ??? sheeplove.gif

As ill be constantly driving in traffic , idileing with the air con running and maybe on occasion be driveing at high speeds . where the diesal likes to be .

Will the gas engine van be superior in these types of situations . allowing me to do more like toyota maintence . not diesal mechinic stuff $$$$
BigFour1973
QUOTE(thelogo @ Mar 30 2020, 11:19 AM) *

QUOTE(UROpartsman @ Mar 30 2020, 11:19 AM) *

Yes ok
Can someone bat this around a little here for me

Sprinters . turbo deisals will require maintence
That is expensive oil filter etc . i would be doing routine stuff

not a
Expensive mercrdes tech av-943.gif

But is the turbo diesal with diesal exausht filter !!!!!

The least ideal engine to have in southern califonia ??? sheeplove.gif

As ill be constantly driving in traffic , idileing with the air con running and maybe on occasion be driveing at high speeds . where the diesal likes to be .

Will the gas engine van be superior in these types of situations . allowing me to do more like toyota maintence . not diesal mechinic stuff $$$$

I have a 2018 extended wheelbase, with high roof. 58k miles on it, owned since day one. I havent had any issues with it what so ever. Maintenance isnt all that expensive, especially if you do it yourself.

I'm averaging 16-18 mpg with mixed city/freeway. 20-21 mpg when driving strictly freeway. It likes to drink DEF at a high than usual pace, but that stuffs cheap so it doesn't bother me.

it rides great on the freeway, (its the 2500 so softer springs than the 3500). Id recommend a 3500 for you since you'll have water and other heavy stuff as the springs are a little softer than id like on the 2500.

The motor is solid, theres guys running around with 250k+ miles on the original engine.

The transmission is questionable. It hasn't gone out on me or anything like that. But..... It will some times kick on shifts. I can isolate it to happening with aggressive throttle followed with no throttle before a shift. then barely giving it gas. ( think about when accelerating and a car cuts in front of you, that kind of scenario)

With that being said, I'm happy with the purchase. I wish I would've waited for a 2019, (new transmission 6 speed vs 4 speed, face lift, new interior)
Superhawk996
The main problem with any of the Sprinters (regardless of who badged them - Dodge, Mercedes, or Freightliner) are that the underlying parts are Mercedes parts.

If you can do the labor yourself, you're way ahead of the game but you're largely paying for Mercedes parts.

Sure you probably aren't going to do turbo Diesel engine work, but if you can keep the oil and the trans fluid changed, your still way ahead of the curve.

There has been a lot of to do about Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF). Yes they are insanely expensive. However, that is true regardless of what product they are on Sprinter, Dodge Cummins, Super Duty, whatever has a diesel. By and large, if the engine is operating properly, you won't have issues with the DPF. However, if you have a check engine light that is resulting running rich and burning coal, and you ignore it, expect a plugged DPF eventually.
PanelBilly
Ford has 84 month 0 interest financing right now with delayed start on first payment.
JRust
I had a 2004 & a 2005 2500 sprinter vans with work. We did not have that many service issues. A regular oil change was no problem at any of the local shops & nothing crazy. Transmission was more critical & I can't remember why. There is a plastic parts to the turbo that we went through once or twice a year. Was pretty easy to replace & then you were fine. Sold both pushing 300k. I would still drive them anywhere & get 25+ miles a gallon. Didn't matter how loaded they were with crap. Could tow a trailer with no problem as well. Typically if you are putting on 25k+ mileage a year a diesel makes sense. If you drive less than? A gas will cost you less in the long run.
thelogo
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Mar 30 2020, 02:14 PM) *

Ford has 84 month 0 interest financing right now with delayed start on first payment.

Are you fuckin nuts ....

Ive always bought all my cars / truck etc
thelogo
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Mar 30 2020, 01:00 PM) *

The main problem with any of the Sprinters (regardless of who badged them - Dodge, Mercedes, or Freightliner) are that the underlying parts are Mercedes parts.

If you can do the labor yourself, you're way ahead of the game but you're largely paying for Mercedes parts.

Sure you probably aren't going to do turbo Diesel engine work, but if you can keep the oil and the trans fluid changed, your still way ahead of the curve.

There has been a lot of to do about Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF). Yes they are insanely expensive. However, that is true regardless of what product they are on Sprinter, Dodge Cummins, Super Duty, whatever has a diesel. By and large, if the engine is operating properly, you won't have issues with the DPF. However, if you have a check engine light that is resulting running rich and burning coal, and you ignore it, expect a plugged DPF eventually.

Im starting to swing back twards diesal in a big way

I checked out
This

And it was in extremely good condition . orignal owner .
Maintence records the whole thing .

But. This is the thing

Reguardless of how good one van is or the other

Will the mercedes van help me be successful as in people judge you by the vehicle you show up in .

If i do a great job

Will i be more successful because i use a mercedes vs a converted cargo high roof ford or chevy fan .

I wouldn't ask if my ass and $ wasnt on the line ?

Chime in
mepstein
QUOTE(thelogo @ Mar 30 2020, 10:46 PM) *

Are you fuckin nuts ....

A 0% interest loan isn't nuts when you are running a business. Especially since buying new can get you a warranty so there shouldn't be repair costs for x years, just planned maintenance and maybe tax incentives.
RickS
Unless you are catering to the rich and famous where $ is no object, regular people will probably think you are charging too much if you can afford a Benz.

My neighbor had a Benz turbo diesel RV, I know they are different beasts, but it was a maintenance nightmare. So much so, he ended up selling it, and the guy was a maintenance fanatic.
porschetub
QUOTE(UROpartsman @ Mar 31 2020, 07:19 AM) *

Correct mate,in my country the Transit and HiAce Toyota rule,then there is VW transporters T5 and T6 and Hyundai are becoming increasingly more popular,we generally only have diesel vans here reason being the torque pushes these frigates around ...they are bloody heavy afterall.
I have 2002 T4 2.5TDI with 152K miles ,I'am constantly impressed with how it drives,the 2.5 5 cyl Audi/Volvo diesel isn't very refined but has excellent torque and bulletproof with good economy with 5 speed and "open road" diff gearbox.

thelogo
QUOTE(RickS @ Mar 30 2020, 08:14 PM) *

Unless you are catering to the rich and famous where $ is no object, regular people will probably think you are charging too much if you can afford a Benz.

"",, "",, this is exactly what i thought too. "",,,,""""
But it hasnt been the majority opinion of people ibe asked !!!

My neighbor had a Benz turbo diesel RV, I know they are different beasts, but it was a maintenance nightmare. So much so, he ended up selling it, and the guy was a maintenance fanatic.

I think this is actually same or similar beast to the benz turbo

And i am actually catering to the rich and famous
( dallas raines)
Malibu . la canda .... All these people drive mercedes ,rolls , bmw , teska , etc. Dallas drive a pantera

But i just wanna do what's best for business .
If that means taking on some maintence thats fine
If it means chopping the roof off a chevy express ok

But i only get 1 shot at it. !!!!
thelogo
QUOTE(porschetub @ Mar 30 2020, 08:16 PM) *

QUOTE(UROpartsman @ Mar 31 2020, 07:19 AM) *

Correct mate,in my country the Transit and HiAce Toyota rule,then there is VW transporters T5 and T6 and Hyundai are becoming increasingly more popular,we generally only have diesel vans here reason being the torque pushes these frigates around ...they are bloody heavy afterall.
I have 2002 T4 2.5TDI with 152K miles ,I'am constantly impressed with how it drives,the 2.5 5 cyl Audi/Volvo diesel isn't very refined but has excellent torque and bulletproof with good economy with 5 speed and "open road" diff gearbox.

I dont know about your country but audi , vw have a bad reputation around here when it comes to diesal
thelogo
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 30 2020, 08:12 PM) *

QUOTE(thelogo @ Mar 30 2020, 10:46 PM) *

Are you fuckin nuts ....

A 0% interest loan isn't nuts when you are running a business. Especially since buying new can get you a warranty so there shouldn't be repair costs for x years, just planned maintenance and maybe tax incentives.

New high roof cargo van ....$ thats a big number
Scared to imagine how much that would cost in 84 month.
Why dont i just buy a fleet instead screwy.gif
SteveL
[/quote]

New high roof cargo van ....$ thats a big number
Scared to imagine how much that would cost in 84 month.
Why dont i just buy a fleet instead screwy.gif
[/quote]

At 0% interest, it is the same total over 84 months as paying cash. Actually, it is less as reduced by the rate of inflation.
JOEPROPER
Many smart men and women in business use other peoples money to operate their business'. In my opinion, emulating them would be a wise decision. 84 months / no interest is FREE money which is the best $ to use and a long term to use it for a vehicle. I could be wrong, but I don't think I am.

Just something to consider. Good luck with your venture!
Superhawk996
QUOTE(thelogo @ Mar 31 2020, 01:57 AM) *

Are you fuckin nuts ....

aktion035.gif

Borrower is slave to the lender.

andys
Ok folks, read the low/no interest ads, and they go something like this.....0% interest for XX months, or $1500 off. The dealer gets his interest up front (amortized over the term of the loan) when you choose the low/no interest option at essentially $1500 more for the sale price of the vehicle. The dealer always makes out.
Andys
mepstein
QUOTE(andys @ Mar 31 2020, 11:01 AM) *

Ok folks, read the low/no interest ads, and they go something like this.....0% interest for XX months, or $1500 off. The dealer gets his interest up front (amortized over the term of the loan) when you choose the low/no interest option at essentially $1500 more for the sale price of the vehicle. The dealer always makes out.
Andys

Yes, but... financial leverage is a strong tool if you use it right.
thelogo
QUOTE(andys @ Mar 31 2020, 08:01 AM) *

Andys

This what im saying ...you want me to put my future and buisness in the hands of these stealerships
Maybe if i had no other option but even then chair.gif

No thanks.

Reminds me of the 2020 race for the white house

Canidates that lose dont really lose . they will go back to being rich successful politicians. Aka well paid scum of the earth. With the biggest benefit packages ever. Paid for on the backs of hard working americans.

When someone puts their ass on the line . all in , sink or swim . i might try voting for em .

But this whole run for president as a hobbie
Thats not very worthy of office imho

Rant over

I think this is it . guy is willing to deal and van is in damn good shape
JOEPROPER
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 31 2020, 11:37 AM) *

QUOTE(andys @ Mar 31 2020, 11:01 AM) *

Andys

Yes, but... financial leverage is a strong tool if you use it right.

agree.gif
Superhawk996
QUOTE(thelogo @ Mar 31 2020, 11:42 AM) *

QUOTE(andys @ Mar 31 2020, 08:01 AM) *

Andys

This what im saying ...you want me to put my future and buisness in the hands of these stealerships
Maybe if i had no other option but even then chair.gif

No thanks.

Reminds me of the 2020 race for the white house

Canidates that lose dont really lose . they will go back to being rich successful politicians. Aka well paid scum of the earth. With the biggest benefit packages ever. Paid for on the backs of hard working americans.

When someone puts their ass on the line . all in , sink or swim . i might try voting for em .

But this whole run for president as a hobbie
Thats not very worthy of office imho

Rant over

I think this is it . guy is willing to deal and van is in damn good shape

smilie_pokal.gif

Successfull business can be built on a cash flow basis.

Debt = Risk. Any fincancial analysis of debt leverage also needs to include a risk premium added to the cost of capital to account for the total discount rate to be used for analysis. Many assume this risk permium is zero. If we learned anything from 2008, it should be that the risk premium is not zero.
R1200rider
QUOTE(thelogo @ Mar 29 2020, 12:33 PM) *

This is not for camping or shelter purpose

But im trying to build a mobile dog grooming salon

Or a strong work vehicle

You are making a wise choice with the Sprinter. I am a commercial driver that has put many miles on both the MB and Ford Transit, amongst vehicles ranging from golf carts to earth movers. I swear by Ford trucks; their durability and low cost of ownership, but the Transit is an utter sh1tbox. It’s dismal lack of comfort and durability is only surpassed by its hopeless fuel consumption. I’m surprised Ford put a fuel consumption function on the gauge interface. The Transit feels like a van built on a light duty SUV chassis, the MB feels like a robust and even somewhat refined van built on a medium duty truck chassis. I have hammered mine and it does not notice. Oil changes/service every 20,000 miles. The unbroken-in engine returns 13 mpg towing a single axle trailer and 3300 lbs worth of car/trailer. That is 4 mpg better than the Transit towing nothing in Los Angeles city traffic carrying only passengers. My last mpg trial in the Transit (and with a light foot) returned 9 mpg in my mode of usage over two days of mixed driving. The turbo lag in the Ford puts a 70’s 930 Porsche to shame. It’s not a terrible van (interior quality is not bad) it’s just not near the quality of the MB. In the interest of full disclosure, I do own a Ford (Fiesta ST) and it has been one of the best engineered, trouble free and fun things I’ve owned. I also own a Sprinter van, and I feel the same about it. Hope I’ve helped, as that was my intent. Feel free to ask questions.
Click to view attachment
thelogo
QUOTE(R1200rider @ Mar 31 2020, 10:42 AM) *

QUOTE(thelogo @ Mar 29 2020, 12:33 PM) *

This is not for camping or shelter purpose

But im trying to build a mobile dog grooming salon

Or a strong work vehicle

You are making a wise choice with the Sprinter. I am a commercial driver that has put many miles on both the MB and Ford Transit, amongst vehicles ranging from golf carts to earth movers. I swear by Ford trucks; their durability and low cost of ownership, but the Transit is an utter sh1tbox. It’s dismal lack of comfort and durability is only surpassed by its hopeless fuel consumption. I’m surprised Ford put a fuel consumption function on the gauge interface. The Transit feels like a van built on a light duty SUV chassis, the MB feels like a robust and even somewhat refined van built on a medium duty truck chassis. I have hammered mine and it does not notice. Oil changes/service every 20,000 miles. The unbroken-in engine returns 13 mpg towing a single axle trailer and 3300 lbs worth of car/trailer. That is 4 mpg better than the Transit towing nothing in Los Angeles city traffic carrying only passengers. My last mpg trial in the Transit (and with a light foot) returned 9 mpg in my mode of usage over two days of mixed driving. The turbo lag in the Ford puts a 70’s 930 Porsche to shame. It’s not a terrible van (interior quality is not bad) it’s just not near the quality of the MB. In the interest of full disclosure, I do own a Ford (Fiesta ST) and it has been one of the best engineered, trouble free and fun things I’ve owned. I also own a Sprinter van, and I feel the same about it. Hope I’ve helped, as that was my intent. Feel free to ask questions.
Click to view attachment

What year is your sprinter and how much was it ?

And how many miles on the barely broken in engine?

Also you do not mention any thing about emissions
Do the gas vans have the upper hand there ?

And i do agree that a focus or fiesta is a hell of a car
And a good value . fun to drive i would hope
Manual trans right?
R1200rider
It’s a 2019 Winnebago 4x4 camper van. With suspension and other upgrades about $135k.
Diesels are not tested anywhere for emissions afaik.
11,500 miles
Very fun car to drive, wrong wheel drive and all. The ST family of vehicles are manual only.
bandjoey
Talk to your accountant. Trucks over a certain weight get extra tax deductions
thelogo
Snake bit i guess . we had a deal at 11k
But guy said . and i cant make this shit up
Wife told him we need to exchange funds only at bank.

So offer was instantly changed to 10k
And dont think its gonna happen .

Also van will immediately be needing
Smog , registration as it was on non op sitting for about 6 months and in less then 1k miles will need oil change.

So im sitting back on rhe sideline for now

r_towle
Look at motor homes?
KELTY360
QUOTE(thelogo @ Mar 31 2020, 07:14 PM) *

That's not so strange. I've done exchanges at a bank before. Wife just being cautious.

Are you sure you're not just getting in your own way of making a deal?
thelogo
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Mar 31 2020, 09:36 PM) *

QUOTE(thelogo @ Mar 31 2020, 07:14 PM) *

That's not so strange. I've done exchanges at a bank before. Wife just being cautious.

Are you sure you're not just getting in your own way of making a deal?

Im sure and under normal circumstances i would go to the bank . but i went and got the cash in the first place. So i could close deals . not play games .

The guy at first said bring the cash he will accept then changes his mind .... I just am not into playing games and wasteing time. When im putting out my money. And no one else is buying jack shit .

And the bank right now is a health risk .period.
I like the van but not enough to get sick . nothing is worth that

Too much bull shit.
thelogo
QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 31 2020, 08:25 PM) *

Look at motor homes?

I did a bit and its a possibility . but need high ceiling
thelogo
Checking this one out next .
Seems beat up and not expensive

So its suspect

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/d...7098747558.html

914forme
it is missing at least one digit on the ODO reading.

The V6 of that age has a couple of issues. Oil cooler seals leak, oil cooler is in the V of the engine and you have to remove the entire intake, and fuel system ha to be puled to get to it. For two seals, and problem solved.

Fuel injector seals will blow out, and produce a leak, which creates this nice black carbon structure, which is a pain to clean up. Seat needs to be cleaned, and then the copper O needs replaced.

Oil and engine blow by is sucked out of the valve cover into an area right infront of the turbo. That seal leaks, and it fills the turbo, and Intercooler with oil over a long period of time. Seal at the turbo inlet also leaks. And should be replaced, easy to do when you do the filter change.

Maintenance
Oil changes cost me about $180 in parts to do it right 10 quarts of oil.
Trans oil changes where also about $280, every 40K
Fuel filters every 20K
Air filters needed to be checked at oil changes, mine had an affinity to suck all the small insects to large insects off the interstate. And the wold need replace 9 time out of 10. As the pressure built do to restrictive filters the oil draw off the vent system would increase.

Oh it burned 2 Quarts of oil over the 10,000 mile interval, majority of it was from the breather system. I had a Mann Hummel recovery unit on it, I would get about 1.5 quarts out of the system.

Positives, engine ran great, I had a tune done on it, and it would get 27 MPG, never noticed anything I had behind it. I would still be driving it, if I did not find a deal on two BMWs.
thelogo
QUOTE(914forme @ Apr 1 2020, 05:52 PM) *

it is missing at least one digit on the ODO reading.

The V6 of that age has a couple of issues. Oil cooler seals leak, oil cooler is in the V of the engine and you have to remove the entire intake, and fuel system ha to be puled to get to it. For two seals, and problem solved.

Fuel injector seals will blow out, and produce a leak, which creates this nice black carbon structure, which is a pain to clean up. Seat needs to be cleaned, and then the copper O needs replaced.

Oil and engine blow by is sucked out of the valve cover into an area right infront of the turbo. That seal leaks, and it fills the turbo, and Intercooler with oil over a long period of time. Seal at the turbo inlet also leaks. And should be replaced, easy to do when you do the filter change.

Maintenance
Oil changes cost me about $180 in parts to do it right 10 quarts of oil.
Trans oil changes where also about $280, every 40K
Fuel filters every 20K
Air filters needed to be checked at oil changes, mine had an affinity to suck all the small insects to large insects off the interstate. And the wold need replace 9 time out of 10. As the pressure built do to restrictive filters the oil draw off the vent system would increase.

Oh it burned 2 Quarts of oil over the 10,000 mile interval, majority of it was from the breather system. I had a Mann Hummel recovery unit on it, I would get about 1.5 quarts out of the system.

Positives, engine ran great, I had a tune done on it, and it would get 27 MPG, never noticed anything I had behind it. I would still be driving it, if I did not find a deal on two BMWs.

Yes it was in sad shape the odometer had been switched
At least the guy was honest about that when i asked

bye1.gif

Rear main was leaking . cel light was on .
A diaster

But im considering staying far away from these for reasons stated in this post $$$$$$$ bleed

914forme
QUOTE(thelogo @ Apr 1 2020, 10:15 PM) *

bye1.gif

A diaster

But im considering staying far away from these for reasons stated in this post $$$$$$$ bleed

Most likely not the rear main, Mercedes in the engineering wisdom made the weep drain for the engine V come out in the exact same spot. I would say 99% of the time it is oil cooler seals, still not a fun job, but better than a rear main. dry.gif but not by much.

Actually in a 2WD I would take the rear main over the oil cooler seal.

Keep looking the right one is out there.
thelogo
QUOTE(914forme @ Apr 1 2020, 07:21 PM) *

QUOTE(thelogo @ Apr 1 2020, 10:15 PM) *

bye1.gif

A diaster

Just seems like running a business out of 1 could be stressful .

I dont mind being a dog trainer and a dog groomer
But also a full time diesal mechinic . thats 3 big jobs

Most likely not the rear main, Mercedes in the engineering wisdom made the weep drain for the engine V come out in the exact same spot. I would say 99% of the time it is oil cooler seals, still not a fun job, but better than a rear main. dry.gif but not by much.

Actually in a 2WD I would take the rear main over the oil cooler seal.

Keep looking the right one is out there.

I mean are these vans the gissell bunchen of vehicles
Everybody loves the looks and wants one

But so high maintence you end up regretting it

Im trying to run a business and that requires a reliable vehicle
Superhawk996
Keep in mind who you're buying from.

Previous fleet owned vehciles have pro's and cons. Some fleets maintain their vheicles well. Most don't. Most fleet managers view vehicles as a finite resource. The goal is to buy them as cheap as possible (stripped vehicles), run them hard, and minimize the money put into them. They then sell them for what is esentially salvage value to them. Then they buy a new one. Likewise, the guys driving corporate fleet vehicles usually don't give a rats behind about the vehicle either which doesn't help.

On the other hand private owners usually have self serving reason to try to preserve thier own vehicle. There are cetainly private owners that skimp on maintenance too but a private owner is more likely to keep the vehicle well maintained.

The bottom line is, keep looking for the right vehicle for you. You have cash in hand. You will eventually find the one that was well taken care of. As you know, mechanical condition supercedes cosmetic condition. You can always do a vheicle wrap to make it look nicer and promote your business at the same time. Likewise, you're largely going to strip the interior so interior appearance really isn't that important.

Don't give up!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.