Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Its about to go off topic .sprinter van owners chime in
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
thelogo
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Apr 2 2020, 05:21 AM) *

Keep in mind who you're buying from.

Previous fleet owned vehciles have pro's and cons. Some fleets maintain their vheicles well. Most don't. Most fleet managers view vehicles as a finite resource. The goal is to buy them as cheap as possible (stripped vehicles), run them hard, and minimize the money put into them. They then sell them for what is esentially salvage value to them. Then they buy a new one. Likewise, the guys driving corporate fleet vehicles usually don't give a rats behind about the vehicle either which doesn't help.

On the other hand private owners usually have self serving reason to try to preserve thier own vehicle. There are cetainly private owners that skimp on maintenance too but a private owner is more likely to keep the vehicle well maintained.

The bottom line is, keep looking for the right vehicle for you. You have cash in hand. You will eventually find the one that was well taken care of. As you know, mechanical condition supercedes cosmetic condition. You can always do a vheicle wrap to make it look nicer and promote your business at the same time. Likewise, you're largely going to strip the interior so interior appearance really isn't that important.

Don't give up!

I have not given up .
And yes the sprinters so far have been fleet cars and sellers dont really know much aboit the cars .

Next up is a ambulance with 189k on the clock.
Gonna inspect and go. From there .

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/d...7088701989.html

One of my customers who owns a vehicle wrap company has offered to wrap the van for free
So i got that going for me

And i should definitely try to buy within the next month ?
thelogo
Is this a scam 12k ?

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/wto/d/e...7099395656.html
Superhawk996
QUOTE(thelogo @ Apr 2 2020, 08:45 AM) *

That one is a hard one to answer.

The guy that does some of my landscaping has been in business forever. He buys his equipment during recessions when the other landscapers go out of business from having bought new Super Duty trucks, plows, and Bobcat's on debt thinking they could get rich off other people's money and debt leverage. I've maintained his Bobcat in exchange for landscaping services and I once traded him a utility trailer for some work. He's a fun guy and knows how to stay in business during good times and bad.

No doubt there will be a lot of businesses that won't survive this self inflicted economic collapse and there will be more deals on durable equipment in the future.

The question is how soon do you need to be in business and who are your clients? I think you previously stated they are very well do do (Malibu, etc.). In that case, they will largely remain financially unaffected themselves. Their current dog groomer that was in debt up to their eyebrows for a new Sprinter + custom grooming equiment on 84 months of payments, on the other hand might not make it. That leaves room for you to step in and fill a potential void as a cash business with paid for overhead.

But honestly that is a really complex dynamic. How long to wait to buy equipment off the bottom vs. opportunity that may present itself sooner?

Wish I had a simple equation for that one. I'm contemplating the same ideas as my current job is in automotive and I'll almost surely be laid off soon. Lots of opportunities out there but it's tough to decide which is the best move.
thelogo
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Apr 2 2020, 07:10 AM) *

The guy that does some of my landscaping has been in business forever. He buys his equipment during recessions when the other landscapers go out of business from having bought new Super Duty trucks, plows, and Bobcat's on debt thinking they could get rich off other people's money and debt leverage. I've maintained his Bobcat in exchange for landscaping services and I once traded him a utility trailer for some work. He's a fun guy and knows how to stay in business during good times and bad.

No doubt there will be a lot of businesses that won't survive this self inflicted economic collapse and there will be more deals on durable equipment in the future.

The question is how soon do you need to be in business and who are your clients? I think you previously stated they are very well do do (Malibu, etc.). In that case, they will largely remain financially unaffected themselves. Their current dog groomer that was in debt up to their eyebrows for a new Sprinter + custom grooming equiment on 84 months of payments, on the other hand might not make it. That leaves room for you to step in and fill a potential void as a cash business with paid for overhead.

But honestly that is a really complex dynamic. How long to wait to buy equipment off the bottom vs. opportunity that may present itself sooner?

Wish I had a simple equation for that one. I'm contemplating the same ideas as my current job is in automotive and I'll almost surely be laid off soon. Lots of opportunities out there but it's tough to decide which is the best move.

Yes i already have 19 clients who support this idea and are well to do and will be loyal customers
But i am concerned that even if i build the van for
20k total . new fully outfitted vans cost 105 k to 150k

I will have to work one hell of a long time to recoup that let alone make a profit.

But one positive since im a dog trainer/ walker
I can get more grooming clients from there and more training clients from grooming
So i will in theory be maximizing my potential. or exposure

To earn best money or stay busy

But for training i used a old ford ranger. ( 3500 bucks)and did very well
A sprinter is a whole nother animal. $$$$

But if i can make 20 x more money
Im willing to spend some to make alot.

" james t.kirk " beer3.gif

Risk is part of the game ... If you wanna sit in this chair
Superhawk996
Don't forget the whole $20K isn't at risk.

If it doesn't work out, you can still resell the vehcile for about the same $10K price you're looking to buy for. Agree completely that $100K for a setup is screwy.gif

I inherited MIL's dog when we put MIL in assisted living. That little bugger needs more frequent and more expensive hair cuts than I get for myself. headbang.gif And if you don't get the dog groomed often enough, it has stromberg.gif stuck to the fur around it's butthole.

Anyone want a "free" dog? av-943.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(thelogo @ Apr 2 2020, 11:26 AM) *

Yes i already have 19 clients who support this idea and are well to do and will be loyal customers

I will have to work one hell of a long time to recoup that let alone make a profit.

I can get more grooming clients from there and more training clients from grooming

"But i am concerned that even if i build the van for

I will have to work one hell of a long time to recoup that let alone make a profit."

---You should know your numbers before you start the business. They shouldn't be hard to figure out.
thelogo
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 2 2020, 10:19 AM) *

QUOTE(thelogo @ Apr 2 2020, 11:26 AM) *

"But i am concerned that even if i build the van for

I will have to work one hell of a long time to recoup that let alone make a profit."

---You should know your numbers before you start the business. They shouldn't be hard to figure out.

Numbers work best with a 1st gen high miles van
As i could get cheaper new vans with lower miles
But repair cost over time will kill me

The older ones is more affordable and easier to work on apparently

If im going to be working on a sprinter and apparently if you have one you will .

Early vans i think are more manageable pre 07

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/cto/d...7095848139.html

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.