Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Its about to go off topic .sprinter van owners chime in, How do you price a used sprinter van
r_towle
post Mar 31 2020, 09:25 PM
Post #41

Custom Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

Look at motor homes?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Mar 31 2020, 10:36 PM
Post #42

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(thelogo @ Mar 31 2020, 07:14 PM) *

Snake bit i guess . we had a deal at 11k
But guy said . and i cant make this shit up
Wife told him we need to exchange funds only at bank.

That's not so strange. I've done exchanges at a bank before. Wife just being cautious.

Are you sure you're not just getting in your own way of making a deal?
+Quote Post
thelogo
post Mar 31 2020, 10:48 PM
Post #43

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 11,572
Region Association: None

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Mar 31 2020, 09:36 PM) *

QUOTE(thelogo @ Mar 31 2020, 07:14 PM) *

Snake bit i guess . we had a deal at 11k
But guy said . and i cant make this shit up
Wife told him we need to exchange funds only at bank.

That's not so strange. I've done exchanges at a bank before. Wife just being cautious.

Are you sure you're not just getting in your own way of making a deal?

Im sure and under normal circumstances i would go to the bank . but i went and got the cash in the first place. So i could close deals . not play games .

The guy at first said bring the cash he will accept then changes his mind .... I just am not into playing games and wasteing time. When im putting out my money. And no one else is buying jack shit .

And the bank right now is a health risk .period.
I like the van but not enough to get sick . nothing is worth that

Too much bull shit.
+Quote Post
thelogo
post Mar 31 2020, 10:49 PM
Post #44

QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 31 2020, 08:25 PM) *

Look at motor homes?

I did a bit and its a possibility . but need high ceiling
+Quote Post
thelogo
post Apr 1 2020, 02:45 PM
Post #45

Checking this one out next .
Seems beat up and not expensive

So its suspect

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/d...7098747558.html

+Quote Post
914forme
post Apr 1 2020, 06:52 PM
Post #46

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

it is missing at least one digit on the ODO reading.

The V6 of that age has a couple of issues. Oil cooler seals leak, oil cooler is in the V of the engine and you have to remove the entire intake, and fuel system ha to be puled to get to it. For two seals, and problem solved.

Fuel injector seals will blow out, and produce a leak, which creates this nice black carbon structure, which is a pain to clean up. Seat needs to be cleaned, and then the copper O needs replaced.

Oil and engine blow by is sucked out of the valve cover into an area right infront of the turbo. That seal leaks, and it fills the turbo, and Intercooler with oil over a long period of time. Seal at the turbo inlet also leaks. And should be replaced, easy to do when you do the filter change.

Maintenance
Oil changes cost me about $180 in parts to do it right 10 quarts of oil.
Trans oil changes where also about $280, every 40K
Fuel filters every 20K
Air filters needed to be checked at oil changes, mine had an affinity to suck all the small insects to large insects off the interstate. And the wold need replace 9 time out of 10. As the pressure built do to restrictive filters the oil draw off the vent system would increase.

Oh it burned 2 Quarts of oil over the 10,000 mile interval, majority of it was from the breather system. I had a Mann Hummel recovery unit on it, I would get about 1.5 quarts out of the system.

Positives, engine ran great, I had a tune done on it, and it would get 27 MPG, never noticed anything I had behind it. I would still be driving it, if I did not find a deal on two BMWs.
+Quote Post
thelogo
post Apr 1 2020, 08:15 PM
Post #47

QUOTE(914forme @ Apr 1 2020, 05:52 PM) *

it is missing at least one digit on the ODO reading.

The V6 of that age has a couple of issues. Oil cooler seals leak, oil cooler is in the V of the engine and you have to remove the entire intake, and fuel system ha to be puled to get to it. For two seals, and problem solved.

Fuel injector seals will blow out, and produce a leak, which creates this nice black carbon structure, which is a pain to clean up. Seat needs to be cleaned, and then the copper O needs replaced.

Oil and engine blow by is sucked out of the valve cover into an area right infront of the turbo. That seal leaks, and it fills the turbo, and Intercooler with oil over a long period of time. Seal at the turbo inlet also leaks. And should be replaced, easy to do when you do the filter change.

Maintenance
Oil changes cost me about $180 in parts to do it right 10 quarts of oil.
Trans oil changes where also about $280, every 40K
Fuel filters every 20K
Air filters needed to be checked at oil changes, mine had an affinity to suck all the small insects to large insects off the interstate. And the wold need replace 9 time out of 10. As the pressure built do to restrictive filters the oil draw off the vent system would increase.

Oh it burned 2 Quarts of oil over the 10,000 mile interval, majority of it was from the breather system. I had a Mann Hummel recovery unit on it, I would get about 1.5 quarts out of the system.

Positives, engine ran great, I had a tune done on it, and it would get 27 MPG, never noticed anything I had behind it. I would still be driving it, if I did not find a deal on two BMWs.

Yes it was in sad shape the odometer had been switched
At least the guy was honest about that when i asked

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)

Rear main was leaking . cel light was on .
A diaster

But im considering staying far away from these for reasons stated in this post $$$$$$$ bleed

+Quote Post
914forme
post Apr 1 2020, 08:21 PM
Post #48

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

QUOTE(thelogo @ Apr 1 2020, 10:15 PM) *

A diaster

But im considering staying far away from these for reasons stated in this post $$$$$$$ bleed

Most likely not the rear main, Mercedes in the engineering wisdom made the weep drain for the engine V come out in the exact same spot. I would say 99% of the time it is oil cooler seals, still not a fun job, but better than a rear main. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) but not by much.

Actually in a 2WD I would take the rear main over the oil cooler seal.

Keep looking the right one is out there.
+Quote Post
thelogo
post Apr 1 2020, 08:41 PM
Post #49

QUOTE(914forme @ Apr 1 2020, 07:21 PM) *

QUOTE(thelogo @ Apr 1 2020, 10:15 PM) *

A diaster

Just seems like running a business out of 1 could be stressful .

I dont mind being a dog trainer and a dog groomer
But also a full time diesal mechinic . thats 3 big jobs

Most likely not the rear main, Mercedes in the engineering wisdom made the weep drain for the engine V come out in the exact same spot. I would say 99% of the time it is oil cooler seals, still not a fun job, but better than a rear main. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) but not by much.

Actually in a 2WD I would take the rear main over the oil cooler seal.

Keep looking the right one is out there.

I mean are these vans the gissell bunchen of vehicles
Everybody loves the looks and wants one

But so high maintence you end up regretting it

Im trying to run a business and that requires a reliable vehicle
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Apr 2 2020, 06:21 AM
Post #50

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Keep in mind who you're buying from.

Previous fleet owned vehciles have pro's and cons. Some fleets maintain their vheicles well. Most don't. Most fleet managers view vehicles as a finite resource. The goal is to buy them as cheap as possible (stripped vehicles), run them hard, and minimize the money put into them. They then sell them for what is esentially salvage value to them. Then they buy a new one. Likewise, the guys driving corporate fleet vehicles usually don't give a rats behind about the vehicle either which doesn't help.

On the other hand private owners usually have self serving reason to try to preserve thier own vehicle. There are cetainly private owners that skimp on maintenance too but a private owner is more likely to keep the vehicle well maintained.

The bottom line is, keep looking for the right vehicle for you. You have cash in hand. You will eventually find the one that was well taken care of. As you know, mechanical condition supercedes cosmetic condition. You can always do a vheicle wrap to make it look nicer and promote your business at the same time. Likewise, you're largely going to strip the interior so interior appearance really isn't that important.

Don't give up!
+Quote Post
thelogo
post Apr 2 2020, 06:45 AM
Post #51

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Apr 2 2020, 05:21 AM) *

Keep in mind who you're buying from.

Previous fleet owned vehciles have pro's and cons. Some fleets maintain their vheicles well. Most don't. Most fleet managers view vehicles as a finite resource. The goal is to buy them as cheap as possible (stripped vehicles), run them hard, and minimize the money put into them. They then sell them for what is esentially salvage value to them. Then they buy a new one. Likewise, the guys driving corporate fleet vehicles usually don't give a rats behind about the vehicle either which doesn't help.

On the other hand private owners usually have self serving reason to try to preserve thier own vehicle. There are cetainly private owners that skimp on maintenance too but a private owner is more likely to keep the vehicle well maintained.

The bottom line is, keep looking for the right vehicle for you. You have cash in hand. You will eventually find the one that was well taken care of. As you know, mechanical condition supercedes cosmetic condition. You can always do a vheicle wrap to make it look nicer and promote your business at the same time. Likewise, you're largely going to strip the interior so interior appearance really isn't that important.

Don't give up!

I have not given up .
And yes the sprinters so far have been fleet cars and sellers dont really know much aboit the cars .

Next up is a ambulance with 189k on the clock.
Gonna inspect and go. From there .

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/d...7088701989.html

One of my customers who owns a vehicle wrap company has offered to wrap the van for free
So i got that going for me

And i should definitely try to buy within the next month ?
+Quote Post
thelogo
post Apr 2 2020, 07:58 AM
Post #52

Is this a scam 12k ?

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/wto/d/e...7099395656.html
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Apr 2 2020, 08:10 AM
Post #53

914 Guru

QUOTE(thelogo @ Apr 2 2020, 08:45 AM) *

That one is a hard one to answer.

The guy that does some of my landscaping has been in business forever. He buys his equipment during recessions when the other landscapers go out of business from having bought new Super Duty trucks, plows, and Bobcat's on debt thinking they could get rich off other people's money and debt leverage. I've maintained his Bobcat in exchange for landscaping services and I once traded him a utility trailer for some work. He's a fun guy and knows how to stay in business during good times and bad.

No doubt there will be a lot of businesses that won't survive this self inflicted economic collapse and there will be more deals on durable equipment in the future.

The question is how soon do you need to be in business and who are your clients? I think you previously stated they are very well do do (Malibu, etc.). In that case, they will largely remain financially unaffected themselves. Their current dog groomer that was in debt up to their eyebrows for a new Sprinter + custom grooming equiment on 84 months of payments, on the other hand might not make it. That leaves room for you to step in and fill a potential void as a cash business with paid for overhead.

But honestly that is a really complex dynamic. How long to wait to buy equipment off the bottom vs. opportunity that may present itself sooner?

Wish I had a simple equation for that one. I'm contemplating the same ideas as my current job is in automotive and I'll almost surely be laid off soon. Lots of opportunities out there but it's tough to decide which is the best move.
+Quote Post
thelogo
post Apr 2 2020, 09:26 AM
Post #54

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Apr 2 2020, 07:10 AM) *

The guy that does some of my landscaping has been in business forever. He buys his equipment during recessions when the other landscapers go out of business from having bought new Super Duty trucks, plows, and Bobcat's on debt thinking they could get rich off other people's money and debt leverage. I've maintained his Bobcat in exchange for landscaping services and I once traded him a utility trailer for some work. He's a fun guy and knows how to stay in business during good times and bad.

No doubt there will be a lot of businesses that won't survive this self inflicted economic collapse and there will be more deals on durable equipment in the future.

The question is how soon do you need to be in business and who are your clients? I think you previously stated they are very well do do (Malibu, etc.). In that case, they will largely remain financially unaffected themselves. Their current dog groomer that was in debt up to their eyebrows for a new Sprinter + custom grooming equiment on 84 months of payments, on the other hand might not make it. That leaves room for you to step in and fill a potential void as a cash business with paid for overhead.

But honestly that is a really complex dynamic. How long to wait to buy equipment off the bottom vs. opportunity that may present itself sooner?

Wish I had a simple equation for that one. I'm contemplating the same ideas as my current job is in automotive and I'll almost surely be laid off soon. Lots of opportunities out there but it's tough to decide which is the best move.

Yes i already have 19 clients who support this idea and are well to do and will be loyal customers
But i am concerned that even if i build the van for
20k total . new fully outfitted vans cost 105 k to 150k

I will have to work one hell of a long time to recoup that let alone make a profit.

But one positive since im a dog trainer/ walker
I can get more grooming clients from there and more training clients from grooming
So i will in theory be maximizing my potential. or exposure

To earn best money or stay busy

But for training i used a old ford ranger. ( 3500 bucks)and did very well
A sprinter is a whole nother animal. $$$$

But if i can make 20 x more money
Im willing to spend some to make alot.

" james t.kirk " (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)

Risk is part of the game ... If you wanna sit in this chair
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Apr 2 2020, 10:01 AM
Post #55

914 Guru

Don't forget the whole $20K isn't at risk.

If it doesn't work out, you can still resell the vehcile for about the same $10K price you're looking to buy for. Agree completely that $100K for a setup is (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif)

I inherited MIL's dog when we put MIL in assisted living. That little bugger needs more frequent and more expensive hair cuts than I get for myself. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) And if you don't get the dog groomed often enough, it has (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif) stuck to the fur around it's butthole.

Anyone want a "free" dog? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Apr 2 2020, 11:19 AM
Post #56

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(thelogo @ Apr 2 2020, 11:26 AM) *

Yes i already have 19 clients who support this idea and are well to do and will be loyal customers

I will have to work one hell of a long time to recoup that let alone make a profit.

I can get more grooming clients from there and more training clients from grooming

"But i am concerned that even if i build the van for

I will have to work one hell of a long time to recoup that let alone make a profit."

---You should know your numbers before you start the business. They shouldn't be hard to figure out.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
thelogo
post Apr 3 2020, 07:37 PM
Post #57

QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 2 2020, 10:19 AM) *

QUOTE(thelogo @ Apr 2 2020, 11:26 AM) *

"But i am concerned that even if i build the van for

I will have to work one hell of a long time to recoup that let alone make a profit."

---You should know your numbers before you start the business. They shouldn't be hard to figure out.

Numbers work best with a 1st gen high miles van
As i could get cheaper new vans with lower miles
But repair cost over time will kill me

The older ones is more affordable and easier to work on apparently

If im going to be working on a sprinter and apparently if you have one you will .

Early vans i think are more manageable pre 07

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/cto/d...7095848139.html

+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 05:46 PM