Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Led Bulbs for Fog Lights
dangrouche
post Jun 12 2020, 03:08 PM
Post #41

dangrouche

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,012
Region Association: None

QUOTE(dangrouche @ Apr 3 2020, 06:53 PM) *

Thanks Spoke and Mikey, my intended purpose is illumination as a daytime running light. Projection as as a traditional fog light is not what I was looking for. Just something that is visible during daytime as I rarely drive this car at night.

Finally got the bulbs from eBay/China (took 2 months) and basically gutted the dual pole LED bulb and attached the assembly onto an OEM single pole fog bulb socket; this install does nothing to modify your existing wiring. You'll need to A) desolder the bases of the new and OEM bulbs B) drill out the crimp points of the new LED bulb to relieve the tension and separate the base from the LED assembly C) after disassembly, you will find three leads (ground, high & low beam), which controls low beam and high beam. The high beam illuminates both sides of the LED bulb. You'll be dealing with about 10mm of wire that comes off of the LED circuit board and will need to navigated into the two holes of the single pole bulb's base D) file the LED bulb's aluminum frame to get a press fit of the LED assembly onto the single pole socket E) I took in account Spoke's mention of tabs of the OEM bulb and this helped in my alignment process. If you look at the picture of the bulbs (basically BEFORE disassembly and AFTER assembly onto a single socket) you will see how the tabs need to align in the finished product F) disassemble the fog light lens assembly and remove the OEM metal fog bulb diffuser These Chinese LED bulbs cost $7.80 for the pair. There were essentially BA20D bulbs. The time to fabricate these single pole LED bulbs was about an hour for the set. YMMV depending on your soldering skills with a pencil tip soldering iron. This project is my third try at this since it has been ongoing for me since 2014 (topic #230504) and I am finally satisfied with the result. As I cited earlier to Spoke, the conversion is not to be used as a fog light, rather its a Daytime Running Light. I also did the light switch mod which converts the fog light switch as an on-off switch whenever the ignition is on. The resulting light pattern seen by someone's rear view mirror is sort of a figure 8 pattern because the bulb projects to left and right of the reflector. I will update this post with a night time view of the light projection onto the garage door.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Jun 12 2020, 09:54 PM
Post #42

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

What was the final verdict on the PILOT driving lights? Is it possible to convert them to LED? @spoke

Thanks!
Zach
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Jun 13 2020, 11:14 AM
Post #43

Jerry

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,031
Region Association: None

QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Jun 12 2020, 11:54 PM) *

What was the final verdict on the PILOT driving lights? Is it possible to convert them to LED? @spoke

Thanks!
Zach

@VaccaRabite

The Pilot lights seem to have the glass lens and reflector bonded. I couldn't separate the 2 and didn't want to damage anything so I gave up.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 04:48 AM