Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Warning- #043 MPS now list @$1,652.50, Get one while you can (used or rebuilt)
Bleyseng
post Jul 6 2005, 07:24 PM
Post #21

Aircooled Baby!

Group: Members
Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Woohoo, a euro MPS!

We are planning to come to the Netherlands in late Sept, soo will the 914/6 be running???

We should hook up then.

Wanna go to Spain? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Jul 7 2005, 07:10 AM
Post #22

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104
Region Association: None

The guys who have all the readings on MPS's is Jeff Bowlsby and (Geoff) Bleyseng. Hopefully they will share correct MPS readings (for a partnership or cut in the action). Makes sense to me if their involved (wire harness, testing equip. knowledge, etc.). Jeff & Geoff hope you don't mind using your names.  

Glad we could help out William. Actually the mps only had a subtle leak, it would have worked for a long time, but it was not right and I am glad you were able to replace it. I hope the replacement is a good one and it should last a loooong time. The orioginals seem to last 20-30 years.... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

I suspect the leak was from dry case seals...easy enough to repair.

All of the MPS values I have are available to anyone...they are direct from the D-Jet Master....Brad Anders website. I posted the link recently to the pulse width values chart for anyone tuning a stock FI using stock fuel pressure and injectors.
+Quote Post
Jeroen
post Jul 7 2005, 07:48 AM
Post #23

914 Guru

Member No.: 3
Region Association: Europe

QUOTE (Bleyseng @ Jul 7 2005, 02:24 AM)
Woohoo, a euro MPS!

are they any different????
(I wouldn't know a 4 banger part if it bit me in the ass (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif))

We are planning to come to the Netherlands in late Sept, soo will the 914/6 be running???

Won't be running, but I should have it back from the bodyshop some time in august (keeping fingers x-ed) and I should have some time off in august to work on it...

We should hook up then.

Definately!

Wanna go to Spain? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

Tapas, paella (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/chowtime.gif)
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jul 7 2005, 08:02 AM
Post #24

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

i need to test the one that came off the 73'.

k
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Jul 7 2005, 08:12 AM
Post #25

Aircooled Baby!

Kevin, Just pump it to 15hg with a vacuum pump and let it sit for 5 minutes to see if it bleeds down.

Has the epoxy been removed and the machined plug drilled? If so it can be reset.

Yes Jeroen, Paella and tapas!! I'll let you know when and where as maybe you can sneak out for a little vacation with us.

The numbers I have found for the 037 MPS are:

.74 15hg
1.12 4hg
1.52 0hg

which means it is set up to run richer at idle and way richer at WOT

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jul 7 2005, 08:17 AM
Post #26

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

epoxy plug intact. if you're going to walkers this month can you bring your pump with you for a quick field check? if it holds vaccum, are there resistance values that need to be met to insure it's a servicable unit? pm sent in 2 minutes.

k
+Quote Post
MarkG
post Jul 7 2005, 10:09 AM
Post #27

Member No.: 2,102

This ain't good news...$1600!.

I have 2 rebuilt 043 MPS's ....one as a spare. I have been having idle problems even after $400 worth of new injectors installed Saturday. Just for the heck of it I swapped MPS's and all idle/power issues went away.

That means a rebuilt MPS has a life span of 250 miles! @$200+ per rebuild that adds up to several thousand dollars a year of normal driving.

Time to convert to carbs.....I already have over $2K invested on NEW D-Jet componants....talk about throwing good money after bad!

Maybe I SHOULD have kept the 308......(except the 914 is more fun to drive, albeit a little short on power compaired to the F car).
+Quote Post
airsix
post Jul 7 2005, 10:36 AM
Post #28

I have bees in my epiglotis

Member No.: 266

QUOTE (MarkG @ Jul 7 2005, 08:09 AM)
Time to convert to carbs.....I already have over $2K invested on NEW D-Jet componants....talk about throwing good money after bad!

Converting to carbs? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/barf.gif) Would you amputate your arm because of a hangnail? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif) (jk)
You could convert to megasquirt EFI for a couple hundred bucks (probably half the cost of carbs). That would be the cheapest EFI option and there are a dozen others. In this day and age there is no reason to put carbs on anything but chainsaws and weedwackers.

EFI good. Carbs bad.

-Ben M.
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Jul 7 2005, 10:44 AM
Post #29

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5
Region Association: None

QUOTE (MarkG @ Jul 7 2005, 08:09 AM)

Maybe I SHOULD have kept the 308......(except the 914 is more fun to drive, albeit a little short on power compaired to the F car).

Think of all the money you saved on gold chains and powder blue leisure suits....
+Quote Post
TJB/914
post Jul 7 2005, 11:58 AM
Post #30

Mid-Engn.

Member No.: 346
Region Association: Upper MidWest

MarkG & Mr. Z

Your comments owning a 308 made me chuckle. My brother had one & still has his gold chains & blue L-suit. I blame our mom for his downfall.

To all others.
This MPS price situtation is a "Wake Up Call" We need alternate solutions. Don't think about going carbs. We just need to find an inexpensive (cheaper) fix. Untill that happens start looking for spares to keep our 914's running.

Tom
BTW
Keep supporting our 914 vendor's. We need them.
+Quote Post
Brando
post Jul 7 2005, 12:01 PM
Post #31

BUY MY SPARE KIDNEY!!!

Member No.: 2,648
Region Association: Southern California

Come out of the dark ages... come to the L-Jet side (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Engman
post Jul 7 2005, 12:34 PM
Post #32

Zoisite

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 475

Someone (hint, hint) should look at using a more modern pressure sensor and adapt it to a plug and play unit. Could be a good mod.

Look here

M
+Quote Post
phantom914
post Jul 7 2005, 12:38 PM
Post #33

non-914-owner non-club member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,708

QUOTE (Engman @ Jul 7 2005, 10:34 AM)
Someone (hint, hint) should look at using a more modern pressure sensor and adapt it to a plug and play unit. Could be a good mod.

Look here

M

It's not so simple. Modern sensors have a voltage output. The MPS has a varying inductance that is part of a tank circuit that determines pulse width. For the trouble, might as well change to a new EFI system.

Andrew
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Jul 7 2005, 01:08 PM
Post #34

Aircooled Baby!

Those sensors work with pressure , not vacuum!

Kevin, I will be gone outta town that weekend (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/dry.gif)
When is that BBQ gonna happen that you and DaveH promised??? timing is gud for this summer...lots of sun, no rain, hint hint.
+Quote Post
RustyWa
post Jul 7 2005, 02:04 PM
Post #35

Working Member

Member No.: 72

QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Jul 7 2005, 07:17 AM)
if you're going to walkers this month can you bring your pump with you for a quick field check? if it holds vaccum, are there resistance values that need to be met to insure it's a servicable unit?
k

Kevin,

I plan on going to the swap meet. I can bring my vacuum pump along if you need one. Probably a good idea to just bring it so I can test any that might be for sale.
+Quote Post
MarkG
post Jul 7 2005, 09:02 PM
Post #36

Member No.: 2,102

Well, I just vacuum tested the Bret 043 MPS I had rebuilt via PP 250 miles ago (ironic = $1.00 per mile of service).....would not hold vacuum for more than 20 seconds......

The AA rebuilt MPS is doing fine so far @ 45 miles use.

+Quote Post
Bruce Allert
post Jul 7 2005, 11:25 PM
Post #37

Hellions asleep

Member No.: 441

QUOTE (Bleyseng @ Jul 7 2005, 12:08 PM)

When is that BBQ gonna happen that you and DaveH promised??? timing is gud for this summer...lots of sun, no rain, hint hint.

BAR-B-QUE??? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beer3.gif) Someone mention BAR-B-QUE???

MMMMMMmmmmmmmm... give me a couple weeks notice & I'll make the journey for that!

Oh, and what's a good used MPS worth these days? I have one from my 1.7 that I think is fine but haven't done the vacuum test Geoff mentioned.

.........b
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Jul 7 2005, 11:35 PM
Post #38

Aircooled Baby!

$75

Come on, Kevin. What about that BBQ????
+Quote Post
dmenche914
post Jul 8 2005, 12:27 AM
Post #39

Member No.: 366

Funny, i have run my old MPS for ten years with no failure.

What could be wrong? there are two coils, they could short, or open electircally. the container could develop a vacuum leak, the diaphram can fail. the spring could change tension Dirt could get inside interfering with the movement

what would could cause each of these failures?

electric problems on the coils could be caused by an over voltage that melts the insulation or burns out the coil, the container could get a leak form vibration that owuld cause the body to rub on the car, wearing a hole.

the diaphram could fatigue, but mine has lasted a decade at least it might even be the original one, I do not know. the diaphram might corrode, but what from, storage conditions in the stock room? Did crud get in teh vacuum hose port and move around inside until it jammed the motion?

Spring tensin loss, high temperature could do that, but that temp would also melt the plactic parts, so that not likely.

this is a mystry alright.

+Quote Post
DNHunt
post Jul 8 2005, 07:48 AM
Post #40

914 Wizard? No way. I got too much to learn.

Member No.: 598

Geoff

You already missed the Barbie. it was in May at Kevin's when all of the rhodys were blooming. he yard was spectacular.

My MPS is the size of a quarter and costs less than 20 bucks. It does respond to vacuum. 1 bar is 100 Kpa. The sensor will repond from 0 to 250 Kpa so that's 1 bar vacuum to 1.5 bar of boost (It would be fun to play with that side of the MPS). On decel my engine will pull as much as 84 Kpa of vacuum. Idle is around 67 Kpa of vacuum and WOT is about 1-3 Kpa of vacuum.

Dave
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 01:51 PM