Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> adventures in suspension, Part III (last chapter!), dialing it in
914 RZ-1
post Apr 11 2020, 07:31 PM
Post #1

Porsche Padawan

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,230
Region Association: Southern California

I got all 4 corners done. I have a few questions I'd like some advice/input on. Answer some, all or just one, whatever you know. I numbered them to make it easy:

1. The fronts were a little off; I needed to lower one side. I noticed that when I did, the other side also lowered just a little. Is this normal? I got them the same height pre-test drive.

2. The backs are different by 19mm. What should I check for?
The lower spring retainers are on the same ring on the shock, so that's not it.

3. I bounced all 4 corners to settle them. Then took the car for a test drive. Nothing fancy, just a drive around the neighborhood. I turned the wheel back and forth, like I was slaloming. Anything else I should do?

4. Is there a way to tell if this is done "correctly"? Should the car be level? Where should I put a level to check?

5. What else should I check? It drove fine on the test drive. I didn't really go over any bumps, but when I pulled into the driveway I did not detect any bump steer.

Thanks!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 5)
roblav1
post Apr 11 2020, 08:23 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 14,943
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

1) yes, normal. By lowering one side you added weight to the other. So it lowers.
2) How are the backs different by 19mm? Measured from ground to the fender lip? If so, it's not very precise. Fenders were welded on by hand at the factory.
3) This does nothing relevant.

Two methods to do this. Either do cornerweights or use the method in the factory manual. Opposite corners effect each other the most. Either way, set the front ride heights first. Just use the procedure in the manual. I try to set them at the low end.

If original rear coil springs, they are NFG. The best method is cornerweight with adjustable rear spring perches. After ride height, set caster, camber, and toe last. This is how most of us set up a track car.

QUOTE(914 RZ-1 @ Apr 11 2020, 09:31 PM) *

I got all 4 corners done. I have a few questions I'd like some advice/input on. Answer some, all or just one, whatever you know. I numbered them to make it easy:

1. The fronts were a little off; I needed to lower one side. I noticed that when I did, the other side also lowered just a little. Is this normal? I got them the same height pre-test drive.

2. The backs are different by 19mm. What should I check for?
The lower spring retainers are on the same ring on the shock, so that's not it.

3. I bounced all 4 corners to settle them. Then took the car for a test drive. Nothing fancy, just a drive around the neighborhood. I turned the wheel back and forth, like I was slaloming. Anything else I should do?

4. Is there a way to tell if this is done "correctly"? Should the car be level? Where should I put a level to check?

5. What else should I check? It drove fine on the test drive. I didn't really go over any bumps, but when I pulled into the driveway I did not detect any bump steer.

Thanks!

+Quote Post
ndfrigi
post Apr 11 2020, 09:24 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,474
Region Association: Southern California

I tried to measure the height from the lip of the lower body line to the floor. Same for the front.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Apr 12 2020, 07:38 AM
Post #4

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

For anyone with more than just a passing interest in suspension tuning get the book Tune to Win by Carroll Smith
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Krieger
post Apr 12 2020, 08:01 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,104
Region Association: None

I used the four donuts on the bottom of the pan as my reference points when I set the ride height up in my car. I used a short locking tape measure. The tape would roll in when pushed. I would leave it under the car and get in and out of the car. Check the height, make an adjustment, roll it back and forth, bounce the car by standing on the longs. When I finally got the car in for an alignment and corner balance there was very little for them to do. I had a few homemade alignment tools I used. I had the car completely apart before.
+Quote Post
Krieger
post Apr 12 2020, 08:01 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,104
Region Association: None

Oops. Double posted
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 08:13 AM