Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: adventures in suspension, Part III (last chapter!)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914 RZ-1
I got all 4 corners done. I have a few questions I'd like some advice/input on. Answer some, all or just one, whatever you know. I numbered them to make it easy:

1. The fronts were a little off; I needed to lower one side. I noticed that when I did, the other side also lowered just a little. Is this normal? I got them the same height pre-test drive.

2. The backs are different by 19mm. What should I check for?
The lower spring retainers are on the same ring on the shock, so that's not it.

3. I bounced all 4 corners to settle them. Then took the car for a test drive. Nothing fancy, just a drive around the neighborhood. I turned the wheel back and forth, like I was slaloming. Anything else I should do?

4. Is there a way to tell if this is done "correctly"? Should the car be level? Where should I put a level to check?

5. What else should I check? It drove fine on the test drive. I didn't really go over any bumps, but when I pulled into the driveway I did not detect any bump steer.

Thanks!
roblav1
1) yes, normal. By lowering one side you added weight to the other. So it lowers.
2) How are the backs different by 19mm? Measured from ground to the fender lip? If so, it's not very precise. Fenders were welded on by hand at the factory.
3) This does nothing relevant.

Two methods to do this. Either do cornerweights or use the method in the factory manual. Opposite corners effect each other the most. Either way, set the front ride heights first. Just use the procedure in the manual. I try to set them at the low end.

If original rear coil springs, they are NFG. The best method is cornerweight with adjustable rear spring perches. After ride height, set caster, camber, and toe last. This is how most of us set up a track car.

QUOTE(914 RZ-1 @ Apr 11 2020, 09:31 PM) *

I got all 4 corners done. I have a few questions I'd like some advice/input on. Answer some, all or just one, whatever you know. I numbered them to make it easy:

1. The fronts were a little off; I needed to lower one side. I noticed that when I did, the other side also lowered just a little. Is this normal? I got them the same height pre-test drive.

2. The backs are different by 19mm. What should I check for?
The lower spring retainers are on the same ring on the shock, so that's not it.

3. I bounced all 4 corners to settle them. Then took the car for a test drive. Nothing fancy, just a drive around the neighborhood. I turned the wheel back and forth, like I was slaloming. Anything else I should do?

4. Is there a way to tell if this is done "correctly"? Should the car be level? Where should I put a level to check?

5. What else should I check? It drove fine on the test drive. I didn't really go over any bumps, but when I pulled into the driveway I did not detect any bump steer.

Thanks!

ndfrigi
I tried to measure the height from the lip of the lower body line to the floor. Same for the front.

Click to view attachment
Superhawk996
For anyone with more than just a passing interest in suspension tuning get the book Tune to Win by Carroll Smith
Krieger
I used the four donuts on the bottom of the pan as my reference points when I set the ride height up in my car. I used a short locking tape measure. The tape would roll in when pushed. I would leave it under the car and get in and out of the car. Check the height, make an adjustment, roll it back and forth, bounce the car by standing on the longs. When I finally got the car in for an alignment and corner balance there was very little for them to do. I had a few homemade alignment tools I used. I had the car completely apart before.
Krieger
Oops. Double posted
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.