Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 914World Classifieds Rules

We've established the following rules to help make your sales/purchases as successful as possible!
- Please List WTB:, FS:, TRADE: etc (want to buy, for sale, and trade respectively) before your add title.
- You *must* put a price in your ad and state how you would like payment!
- If you'd like to bump your ads, feel free to do so every two days.
- DO NOT MAKE YOUR ADS IN ALL CAPITAL LETTERS! It's considered rude.
- All eBay ads belong in the eBay category.
- Please consolidate your ads into one big lump... listings and pictures together in one thread. Please be considerate of other classified users!!
- Mark your items "SOLD" once you sell them. Please do not ask to have ads removed. Ads will automatically hide themselves after 30 days. We also ask that you leave your pricing in the ads to help others determine fair market value for future sales.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sourced: Manifold Studs, 8mmx56mm Part #N0143979
914_7T3
post Apr 21 2020, 11:50 AM
Post #1

Please forgive me, I'm new to all of this!

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,991
Region Association: Southern California

Looking for an original set of 4 or up to 8 manifold studs in 8mm x 56mm. Not interested in any aftermarket solutions such as OE supplier or any of that BS.

One of mine has broken and would like to replace at minimum all on one side "while you are in there"
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Apr 21 2020, 01:36 PM
Post #2

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I don't think there is a Porsche stud. They are pretty universal, i.e. a steel stud is a steel stud. All the big suppliers should have what you need. They don't usually harden and break like exhaust studs. They do corrode so that's what might be happening to yours.
I'm no expert so if there is something here for me to learn, I'm in.
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Apr 21 2020, 04:02 PM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 21 2020, 03:36 PM) *

They are pretty universal, i.e. a steel stud is a steel stud.

Pretty much true, but, the one consideration is what "grade" of hardware are they? All fastener hardware and/or studs are not created equal.

Common hardware store stuff and low end China is SAE grade 2. Low tensile stregth. Stay away from this stuff and I think that is what Jeffrey is trying to avoid.

What is needed is SAE grade 5 or equivalent Metric 8.8 These are medium tensile strength.

Critical fasteners for things like suspension will be SAE Grade 8 or equivalent metric 10.9 These are high tensile strength.

Very High tensile stregth CV joint fasteners and socket head cap screws are Grade 8 or better (like ARP fasteners) usually metric equivalent 12.9 and have some case hardening and/or more elaborate metalurgy and heat treat.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Apr 21 2020, 06:10 PM
Post #4

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Belmetric has 8.8 studs
+Quote Post
914_7T3
post Apr 21 2020, 06:14 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Apr 21 2020, 03:02 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 21 2020, 03:36 PM) *

They are pretty universal, i.e. a steel stud is a steel stud.

Pretty much true, but, the one consideration is what "grade" of hardware are they? All fastener hardware and/or studs are not created equal.

Common hardware store stuff and low end China is SAE grade 2. Low tensile stregth. Stay away from this stuff and I think that is what Jeffrey is trying to avoid.

What is needed is SAE grade 5 or equivalent Metric 8.8 These are medium tensile strength.

Critical fasteners for things like suspension will be SAE Grade 8 or equivalent metric 10.9 These are high tensile strength.

Very High tensile stregth CV joint fasteners and socket head cap screws are Grade 8 or better (like ARP fasteners) usually metric equivalent 12.9 and have some case hardening and/or more elaborate metalurgy and heat treat.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) What he said

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

But seriously, appreciate the support.

What was learned today from talking to Phil among others is that these are unique to the 2.0 motors and VW type 4s. The 1.8 variant is also 56mm, but is an M9 that uses a step thread that are 8mm on one side and 9mm on the other. These are part# N0146841 and readily availble from vendors such as AASE sales.

I did indeed find the correct NLAs as the interweb is your friend if you know your part numbers.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
914_7T3
post Apr 21 2020, 06:18 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 21 2020, 05:10 PM) *

Belmetric has 8.8 studs

Thanks Mark, my Indy shop has ordered those and I also found a NOS set of 8 that I am considering because I am obsessed with the dream of an original car. I know its (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif) but can't help it.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th May 2024 - 02:23 AM