Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sourced: Manifold Studs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
914_7T3
Looking for an original set of 4 or up to 8 manifold studs in 8mm x 56mm. Not interested in any aftermarket solutions such as OE supplier or any of that BS.

One of mine has broken and would like to replace at minimum all on one side "while you are in there"
mepstein
I don't think there is a Porsche stud. They are pretty universal, i.e. a steel stud is a steel stud. All the big suppliers should have what you need. They don't usually harden and break like exhaust studs. They do corrode so that's what might be happening to yours.
I'm no expert so if there is something here for me to learn, I'm in.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 21 2020, 03:36 PM) *

They are pretty universal, i.e. a steel stud is a steel stud.

Pretty much true, but, the one consideration is what "grade" of hardware are they? All fastener hardware and/or studs are not created equal.

Common hardware store stuff and low end China is SAE grade 2. Low tensile stregth. Stay away from this stuff and I think that is what Jeffrey is trying to avoid.

What is needed is SAE grade 5 or equivalent Metric 8.8 These are medium tensile strength.

Critical fasteners for things like suspension will be SAE Grade 8 or equivalent metric 10.9 These are high tensile strength.

Very High tensile stregth CV joint fasteners and socket head cap screws are Grade 8 or better (like ARP fasteners) usually metric equivalent 12.9 and have some case hardening and/or more elaborate metalurgy and heat treat.
mepstein
Belmetric has 8.8 studs
914_7T3
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Apr 21 2020, 03:02 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 21 2020, 03:36 PM) *

They are pretty universal, i.e. a steel stud is a steel stud.

Pretty much true, but, the one consideration is what "grade" of hardware are they? All fastener hardware and/or studs are not created equal.

Common hardware store stuff and low end China is SAE grade 2. Low tensile stregth. Stay away from this stuff and I think that is what Jeffrey is trying to avoid.

What is needed is SAE grade 5 or equivalent Metric 8.8 These are medium tensile strength.

Critical fasteners for things like suspension will be SAE Grade 8 or equivalent metric 10.9 These are high tensile strength.

Very High tensile stregth CV joint fasteners and socket head cap screws are Grade 8 or better (like ARP fasteners) usually metric equivalent 12.9 and have some case hardening and/or more elaborate metalurgy and heat treat.

agree.gif What he said

confused24.gif

But seriously, appreciate the support.

What was learned today from talking to Phil among others is that these are unique to the 2.0 motors and VW type 4s. The 1.8 variant is also 56mm, but is an M9 that uses a step thread that are 8mm on one side and 9mm on the other. These are part# N0146841 and readily availble from vendors such as AASE sales.

I did indeed find the correct NLAs as the interweb is your friend if you know your part numbers.

smilie_pokal.gif
914_7T3
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 21 2020, 05:10 PM) *

Belmetric has 8.8 studs

Thanks Mark, my Indy shop has ordered those and I also found a NOS set of 8 that I am considering because I am obsessed with the dream of an original car. I know its screwy.gif but can't help it.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.