Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Removing one torsion bar on engine lid ?, can it be done with no rain tray.
porschetub
post Apr 23 2020, 06:01 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,995
Region Association: None

Read about this sometime ago but don't remember the replies,mine opens way to abruptly and has to be held when I pop the release,any experience from folks that have tried this,don't want a partial opening as there is very little room with a "six" filling the hole (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) .
TIA.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 13)
oakdalecurtis
post Apr 23 2020, 06:11 PM
Post #2

Oakdalecurtis

Member No.: 18,802
Region Association: Central California

Here was my simple solution. I added a short picture frame wire cable on the side. I made a small L bracket, bolted to side support, to fasten cable to. Other end goes to small eye hook bolted to lid. Pop my deck with no hold anymore!
Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Apr 23 2020, 06:15 PM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(porschetub @ Apr 23 2020, 08:01 PM) *

Read about this sometime ago but don't remember the replies,mine opens way to abruptly and has to be held when I pop the release,any experience from folks that have tried this,don't want a partial opening as there is very little room with a "six" filling the whole (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) .
TIA.

Don't mean to be a smart alec. Proper opening is to put one hand on the lid, then pull release. Problem solved. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) You're doing it exactly like it should be done.

You'll have trouble extracting just one torsion bar with an engine still in the hell hole and then it'll probably sag without staying open fully.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Apr 23 2020, 06:38 PM
Post #4

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

I did mine with a cabinet gas shock.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-26-1498406577.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-26-1498406594.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-26-1498406605.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-26-1498407444.jpg)

The thread is located here
+Quote Post
Rand
post Apr 23 2020, 06:43 PM
Post #5

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573

heard superhawk

That's what I've always done, just put your hand on the lid when you release. Don't let it slam open or you'll end up welding the brackets back on the firewall. Kinda like the door handles, don't just rip the door open, put your thumb at the pivot point and rock it open. Treat the car with respect.
+Quote Post
914Toy
post Apr 23 2020, 07:16 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 21,596
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(porschetub @ Apr 23 2020, 05:01 PM) *

Read about this sometime ago but don't remember the replies,mine opens way to abruptly and has to be held when I pop the release,any experience from folks that have tried this,don't want a partial opening as there is very little room with a "six" filling the whole (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) .
TIA.

Yes, I removed the rai tray and one torsion bar. Works well.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Apr 23 2020, 11:09 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE(914Toy @ Apr 24 2020, 01:16 PM) *

QUOTE(porschetub @ Apr 23 2020, 05:01 PM) *

TIA.

Yes, I removed the rai tray and one torsion bar. Works well.

Thanks Keith,don't see it won't work and yes to others I always release with hand on engine cover,never done any different.
Just a note to say my lid isn't GT style.
TIA
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Apr 24 2020, 12:13 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Apr 24 2020, 12:15 PM) *

TIA.

Don't mean to be a smart alec. Proper opening is to put one hand on the lid, then pull release. Problem solved. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) You're doing it exactly like it should be done.

You'll have trouble extracting just one torsion bar with an engine still in the hell hole and then it'll probably sag without staying open fully.

Engine still in the hellhole ?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) ,cheers.
+Quote Post
Retroracer
post Apr 24 2020, 02:52 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 16,100
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

So I do have a GT-ish lid and run only one torsion bar. YMMV with a standard lid.

The tension is perfect for the lid, but I found that which bar you pull makes a difference to the way the lid sits while open. I'm not sure why this is.....

I must have swapped these around with the engine in place, so yes that's possible.

- Tony

PS. on my car, keep the bar which anchors to the body on the RHS, the lid on the LHS
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Apr 24 2020, 06:31 AM
Post #10

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(porschetub @ Apr 24 2020, 02:13 AM) *

TIA.

Engine still in the hellhole ?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) ,cheers.

Well that whole engine bay is a sort of hell hole. . . . or maybe I've just been spending too much time in my engine bay welding. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Apr 24 2020, 09:58 AM
Post #11

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Rand @ Apr 23 2020, 05:43 PM) *

heard superhawk

That's what I've always done, just put your hand on the lid when you release. Don't let it slam open or you'll end up welding the brackets back on the firewall. Kinda like the door handles, don't just rip the door open, put your thumb at the pivot point and rock it open. Treat the car with respect.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Also follows you don't close the door using the window, front and rear lids are placed down in the resting position, then gently pushed until they lock etc.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Apr 24 2020, 01:58 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Apr 25 2020, 12:31 AM) *

QUOTE(porschetub @ Apr 24 2020, 02:13 AM) *

TIA.

Well that whole engine bay is a sort of hell hole. . . . or maybe I've just been spending too much time in my engine bay welding. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

Ok got ya,somewhat hellish to work in there for sure (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) .
+Quote Post
bandjoey
post Apr 24 2020, 05:56 PM
Post #13

bandjoey

Member No.: 8,156
Region Association: Southwest Region

https://900designs-container.zoeysite.com/1...for-porsche-914

here you go
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Apr 24 2020, 06:16 PM
Post #14

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

Thanks fro the props
That bumper keeps the rear trunk from hitting the deck lid.
I think these are the ones you want from the inside of the U mounts

https://900designs-container.zoeysite.com/e...for-porsche-914

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 10:08 AM