Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Removing one torsion bar on engine lid ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
porschetub
Read about this sometime ago but don't remember the replies,mine opens way to abruptly and has to be held when I pop the release,any experience from folks that have tried this,don't want a partial opening as there is very little room with a "six" filling the hole sad.gif .
TIA.
oakdalecurtis
Here was my simple solution. I added a short picture frame wire cable on the side. I made a small L bracket, bolted to side support, to fasten cable to. Other end goes to small eye hook bolted to lid. Pop my deck with no hold anymore!
Click to view attachment
Superhawk996
QUOTE(porschetub @ Apr 23 2020, 08:01 PM) *

Read about this sometime ago but don't remember the replies,mine opens way to abruptly and has to be held when I pop the release,any experience from folks that have tried this,don't want a partial opening as there is very little room with a "six" filling the whole sad.gif .
TIA.

Don't mean to be a smart alec. Proper opening is to put one hand on the lid, then pull release. Problem solved. confused24.gif You're doing it exactly like it should be done.

You'll have trouble extracting just one torsion bar with an engine still in the hell hole and then it'll probably sag without staying open fully.
Mark Henry
I did mine with a cabinet gas shock.

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

The thread is located here
Rand
heard superhawk

That's what I've always done, just put your hand on the lid when you release. Don't let it slam open or you'll end up welding the brackets back on the firewall. Kinda like the door handles, don't just rip the door open, put your thumb at the pivot point and rock it open. Treat the car with respect.
914Toy
QUOTE(porschetub @ Apr 23 2020, 05:01 PM) *

Read about this sometime ago but don't remember the replies,mine opens way to abruptly and has to be held when I pop the release,any experience from folks that have tried this,don't want a partial opening as there is very little room with a "six" filling the whole sad.gif .
TIA.

Yes, I removed the rai tray and one torsion bar. Works well.
porschetub
QUOTE(914Toy @ Apr 24 2020, 01:16 PM) *

QUOTE(porschetub @ Apr 23 2020, 05:01 PM) *

TIA.

Yes, I removed the rai tray and one torsion bar. Works well.

Thanks Keith,don't see it won't work and yes to others I always release with hand on engine cover,never done any different.
Just a note to say my lid isn't GT style.
TIA
porschetub
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Apr 24 2020, 12:15 PM) *

TIA.

Don't mean to be a smart alec. Proper opening is to put one hand on the lid, then pull release. Problem solved. confused24.gif You're doing it exactly like it should be done.

You'll have trouble extracting just one torsion bar with an engine still in the hell hole and then it'll probably sag without staying open fully.

Engine still in the hellhole ?? confused24.gif ,cheers.
Retroracer
So I do have a GT-ish lid and run only one torsion bar. YMMV with a standard lid.

The tension is perfect for the lid, but I found that which bar you pull makes a difference to the way the lid sits while open. I'm not sure why this is.....

I must have swapped these around with the engine in place, so yes that's possible.

- Tony

PS. on my car, keep the bar which anchors to the body on the RHS, the lid on the LHS
Superhawk996
QUOTE(porschetub @ Apr 24 2020, 02:13 AM) *

TIA.

Well that whole engine bay is a sort of hell hole. . . . or maybe I've just been spending too much time in my engine bay welding. lol-2.gif
Root_Werks
QUOTE(Rand @ Apr 23 2020, 05:43 PM) *

heard superhawk

That's what I've always done, just put your hand on the lid when you release. Don't let it slam open or you'll end up welding the brackets back on the firewall. Kinda like the door handles, don't just rip the door open, put your thumb at the pivot point and rock it open. Treat the car with respect.

agree.gif

Also follows you don't close the door using the window, front and rear lids are placed down in the resting position, then gently pushed until they lock etc.
porschetub
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Apr 25 2020, 12:31 AM) *

QUOTE(porschetub @ Apr 24 2020, 02:13 AM) *

TIA.

Well that whole engine bay is a sort of hell hole. . . . or maybe I've just been spending too much time in my engine bay welding. lol-2.gif

Ok got ya,somewhat hellish to work in there for sure sad.gif .
bandjoey
https://900designs-container.zoeysite.com/1...for-porsche-914

here you go
Mikey914
Thanks fro the props
That bumper keeps the rear trunk from hitting the deck lid.
I think these are the ones you want from the inside of the U mounts

https://900designs-container.zoeysite.com/e...for-porsche-914
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.